Your mind goes blank every time you try thinking of things to talk about with a guy — and one guy in particular.
You don’t want to rely on stereotypical “guy talk” go-to’s.
But you’re not sure exactly what will hold his attention and get a real conversation going.
Good thing the list in this post gives you plenty of ideas on what to talk about with a guy whose company and conversation you enjoy.
What Do Men Like to Talk About?
Being human and all — and having interests as varied as any other gender — men can find plenty of things to talk about.
The more you know about his interests, the longer the conversation can go (depending on your short-term goals).
The list of questions below can help you get helpful intel on what matters most to him, which will probably fall into the following categories:
- His family and friends
- Love, romance, and what he hopes from both
- His work and what it means to him
- His hobbies and passions
- His beliefs — religious, moral, and/or political
35 Things to Talk about with a Guy
Now you know how to identify the best topics to talk about with a guy, enjoy the following list of ideas. Keep track of the ones that stand out for you.
1. Start with a genuine compliment. Probably best not to get all gushy over his eyes or his muscles. Focus on qualities you notice that you honestly admire.
2. Ask about his hobbies. What does he love to do on his own time, and why? Has he created anything he’s proud of?
3. Talk about your hobbies or passions. If he asks, don’t worry about whether your favorite activities match his. Be honest about what you love.
4 Play a game of 20 questions. Make the list of questions beforehand using what you know about him so far. And be prepared to answer his.
5. Ask about his favorite films or TV series. What was the last thing he binge-watched? What’s the best movie he’s seen in the past year or so?
6. Ask him for his idea of the perfect date. What would ruin it for him? Or what would be his backup plan?
7. Ask about his long-term plans. What does he want to do, and what are his plans for getting closer to that?
8. Talk about your own plans. If he asks, tell him what you’re working on and where you want to be five or ten years from now.
9. Talk about his career. Is he doing the work he wants to do? What has he tried so far that hasn’t worked? What has?
10. Talk about your career. If he asks, be honest about where you are and where you want to be with your career goals.
11. Talk about accomplishments or successes. What has he done that he’s most proud of? Which of your own achievements are most important to you?
12. Ask him about essential life lessons he’s learned. How has his outlook changed over the years as he’s grown and lived? What lessons stand out for him?
13. Talk about his past crushes — how they began and what they led to. Be prepared to answer this question for yourself if he asks.
14. Talk about celebrity crushes, if he’s ever had any. This works better if you have a celebrity crush of your own to share.
More Related Articles
15. Talk about his favorite foods. This is a good time to learn about strong dislikes, allergies, and dietary restrictions. Also, is cooking together in your future?
16. Ask him where he’d love to travel. If he could go anywhere in the world (and money was no object), where would he go, and why?
17. What qualities does he notice first in a woman? What does he find most attractive? What makes him want to learn more?
18. What has he been reading lately? What books have you both enjoyed? Do you find yourself wanting to ask him for recommendations?
19. Suggest an activity for you to try together — whether it’s something one (or both) of you have done before or not. See what sparks his interest.
20. Talk about music. What does he listen to most often? What are his favorite singers or groups? What concert would he love to attend?
21. Does he like animals? Does he have a pet, or does he have allergies? Being kind to animals is more important than being a pet person.
22. Ask about his friends and family. Who are the most important people in his life? Does he see them often?
24. How was his childhood? What was it like for him growing up? What are his happiest memories? What would he change if he could?
25. Ask how he typically spends his weekends? Does he attend a religious service? Does he go climbing, scuba diving, surfing, etc.? What does he do to relax?
26. Is he on social media — and, if so, where? What are his favorite channels, and what does he like about them?
27. What does he see ahead for the two of you? Does he see you together? Or does he see you both thriving separately as amiable acquaintances?
28. What has he learned over the years about romantic relationships? What have past relationships taught him that he considers worth remembering?
29. Talk about your current relationship status. How would he describe your relationship and where it’s going? What hopes does he have for it?
30. Talk about religion. What role (if any) does religion play in his life? How important is it to his parents? What beliefs do you have in common?
31. What are his biggest fears? And what are yours? What keeps either of you up at night? And how do you deal with those fears?
32. Discuss current events. What’s going on in the world that is most impactful for him? Does he like to discuss politics, or would he rather avoid it?
33. Ask him to describe a perfect day. How does it begin? What does he do to make the day meaningful and enjoyable? How does it end?
34. Share a joke. Tread lightly with wordplay until you know what he likes and dislikes. Avoid anything potentially offensive. Ask him to share a joke he enjoys.
35. Ask about his biggest dealbreakers in relationships. This can be fun or serious. What line does he expect friends and lovers never to cross?
FAQ about What to Talk about with a Guy
Now that you’ve looked through the list of things to talk about with a guy, let’s tackle some questions that might still be lingering in your mind.
Keep the conversation focused on something that interests him, and be ready to answer questions he has about you.
Don’t dwell on negative topics like the trouble you had with your ex, your worst experience on the job, or what you hate about life and other people.
Ask him how his day is going and what you can do to make it better. Or thank him for something he’s said or done that has stayed with you or made a positive change in your life.
If you don’t know anything about him, it doesn’t hurt to ask what he likes about the place where you’re meeting. Or start off with a question about what he’s drinking and move on to questions about where he’s from, what he does, or what’s on his mind.
These questions have given you ideas on what to talk about with a guy you like. So which of the topics listed in this post stood out for you?
And what will you do with them today to connect more deeply with your special guy?