You don't know what others are going through when they are irritating, unpleasant, or short-tempered.
It’s not about you. It almost never is, and that’s a good thing.
Negative interactions with others are unfortunately inevitable, but we do have power over how we respond to them.
Whether some guy cut you off in traffic or the waiter forgot your drink order, you never know what someone is going through until you walk in their shoes.
Before you shout obscenities from your car window or leave a bad tip, consider what they might have gone through today and the positive impact being caring towards them could make.
Here are a few examples of what they could be facing:
Before you're reactive with someone who may very well deserve your ire, consider an alternative that shows more compassion and empathy.
There are many good reasons for choosing benevolence over anger.
- You Never Know What Someone Is Going Through: 13 Reasons to Choose Kindness
- 1. Being Kind Promotes Mindfulness
- 2. A Negative Attitude Inhibits Growth
- 3. Kindness Promotes Dialogue
- 4. It Reinforces Connection
- 5. Kindness Has a Butterfly Effect
- 6. You Become More Self-Aware
- 7. It Takes Less Energy
- 8. You Don’t Know The Difference It Could Make
- 9. Choosing Grace Empowers Others to Do the Same
- 10. Kindness Can Become Friendship
- 11. Meanness Serves No One
- 12. Understanding and Thoughtfulness Are Validating
- 13. It Reveals the Inherent Worth of Everyone