Do you ever find yourself with your shoulders hunched, your eyes downcast, and your head down?
You have that hang-dog look of someone who feels the lowest of low.
Life can hit you hard with disappointments, challenges, and setbacks, and it’s hard not to want to crawl into a hole and avoid the world.
But doing that only makes you sink further into despair.
You may not think you have confidence and self-determination, but if you act as if you do, your confidence will grow, and you’ll find the tenacity to keep going.
How Do You Encourage Someone to Keep Going?
Whether you or someone you know is experiencing a period of self-doubt and dejection, a little encouragement from a caring friend or even from some quotes about keeping your head up can go a long way.
If you want to encourage someone, read through these quotes, choose those that resonate the most with you, and use them in the following ways:
- Send a caring card that includes one of these quotes.
- Have a quote printed on a coffee mug to give to your friend.
- Give your friend this list of quotes and a journal to use the quotes as journal prompts.
- Have a quote printed and framed to display where they can see it often.
35 Keep Your Head Up Quotes
We’ve curated these 35 “hold your head up” quotes to cover a gamut of reasons why you or a friend might feel discouraged or depressed.
Words alone may not be enough to change your situation, but they go a long way in helping you find that spark of hope to keep moving forward.
Read through our list and see which of these “head held high” quotes inspires you to lift that chin a little bit.
1. “Keep your head up no matter what happens. You’ll be alright. If the moment hurts, do not fall victim to its pain. Look ahead. Focus on what can be. Focus on dreams. You’ll make it.” – Egypt-TheGoodVibe.com
2. “Always keep your mind strong with positive thoughts and your head up with full confidence, because you truly have greatness in you.” – Edmond Mbiaka
3. “Hold your head high and keep those fists down.” – Atticus Finch from To Klll a Mockingbird
4. “Don’t let anyone knock you down. Keep your head up.” — Greyson Chance
5. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” — Thomas A. Edison
6. “Keep your head up, keep your heart strong. Keep your mind set, keep your hair long.” – Ben Howard
7. “Always hold your head up, but be careful to keep your nose at a friendly level.” -Max L. Forman
8. “I had to hold my head up high and put a bold face on things, but the thoughts keep coming anyways.” — Anne Frank
9. “Hold your head high, stick your chest out. You can make it. It gets dark sometimes but morning comes…. Keep hope alive.” — Jesse Jackson
10. “Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.” — Sarah Dessen
11. “Keep your head up and be patient.” – A. J. McLean
12. “The only reason to look down on someone is to help them up.” – Jesse Jackson
13. “And I know this world is so cold and deceiving, but I keep my head up like my nose is bleeding.” — Lil Wayne
14. “Always keep your head up because if it’s down, you won’t be able to see the blessings that have been placed in your life.” – Unknown
15. “Forgive but don’t forget, girl, keep your head up. And when he tells you you ain’t nothing, don’t believe him. And if he can’t learn to love you, you should leave him.” — Tupac Shakur
More Related Articles
16. “Keep your head up and smile, because someone somewhere wants to see you fail.” — Burnell Taylor
17. “Don’t wait on approval, validation, and likes from others–always give yourself the highest of approval ratings and work from there. Hold your head up and be fabulous no matter what!” — Jody Watley
18. “Come on, you know, chin up, chest out, and best foot forward.” – Fred Astaire
19. “Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” – Napoleon Hill
20. “Your body language can tell a different story from what’s going on inside of you. Hold your head high, shoulders back, and chest out. Others will see confidence, and soon you’ll feel confident too.” – Barrie Davenport
21. “You’ve got keep your head up, keep fighting, and do the best you can.” – Pablo Sandoval
22. “Keep your heal, head, and standards high.” – Coco Chanel
23. “No matter how much it hurts, you have to hold your head up and keep going.” – Brooke Addison
24. “Don’t let guilt or shame drag you down. Keep your head and look the world in the eye. Defy the voices in your head telling you that you aren’t worth it. You are.” – Barrie Davenport
25. “Pride is holding your head up when everyone around you has theirs bowed. Courage is what makes you do it.” – Bryce Courtenay
26. “When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high and don’t be afraid of the dark. At the end of the storm is a golden sky and the sweet silver song of a lark.” – Oscar Hammerstein II
27. “To everyone battling a difficulty or under attack right now, smile, keep your head up, keep moving and stay positive, you’ll get through it.” – Germany Kent
28. “Don’t let it get you down, you can take it, and if it hurts, don’t let them see you cry, you can make it. Hold your head up, woman. Hold your head high. – from Hold Your Head High by Argent
29. “Keep your head up because one day one person will fight like hell for you, the same as you would for them, and it will be a deep love. So, keep your head up.” – Carlos Salinas
30. “You can be poor and tired in raggedy clothes, but walk tall with your head high and nobody knows.” – Unknown
31. “Never let anyone tell you who you are, hold your head up high, look them in the eyes and tell them who you are.” – Sonya Parker
32. “C’mon man, stop shuffling your feet and looking down. Hold your head high and show’em what you got.” – Unknown
33. “We ain’t meant to survive, cause it’s a setup, And even though you’re fed up, Huh, ya got to keep your head up. — Tupac Shakur
34. “So keep your head high, your chin up, and most importantly keep smiling because life’s a beautiful thing and there’s so much to smile about.” – Marilyn Monroe
35. “Keep your head up in failure and your head down in success.” – Jerry Seinfeld
Now that you’ve read through these “keep your head up” quotes, what actions will you take? Will you send them to someone you know needs a boost? Or will you use them for yourself to inspire you to get past your challenges?
Don’t just read these quotes and move on to your next task. Let them sink in, and then do something positive and productive today with your head held high.