You finally ended an awful relationship and feel like a sad sack of mixed emotions and raw confusion.
Regret. Hurt. Anger. Sadness.
These are normal reactions to the end of a love affair gone sour.
You keep asking yourself, “Why did I hang on so long? What went so wrong when we were once so in love?”
Every painful relationship has its core issues.
Even though your partner may be primarily at fault, now is a great time to see what you can learn from this train wreck, so you don’t drag the carnage into your next relationship.
We have a small life raft to throw you here with our collection of quotes about bad relationships and moving on.
Grab hold and see if we can breathe some life into that broken heart of yours.
31 Ending a Bad Relationship Quotes to Help You Assess and Move On
We don’t presume to know what you need right now to lessen the pain.
But sometimes, there’s comfort in knowing you’re not alone in your feelings and experiences.
Love gone wrong is a near-universal situation, and one or more of these ended relationship quotes may speak to what you’re going through.
1. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
3. “Girls you’ve gotta know when it’s time to turn the page.” – Tori Amos
4. “Grudges are for those who insist that they are owed something; forgiveness, however, is for those who are substantial enough to move on.” – Criss Jami
5. “It’s better to be healthy alone than sick with someone else.” – Phil McGraw
6. “I mean, if the relationship can’t survive the long term, why on earth would it be worth my time and energy for the short term?” – Nicholas Sparks
7. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life you will never be able to grow into your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – DLQ
8. “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re underappreciated.” – Steve Maraboli
9. “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” – Michael J. Fox
10. “Maybe the most that you can expect from a relationship that goes bad is to come out of it with a few good songs.” – Marianne Faithfull
11. “Sooner or later we’ve all got to let go of our past.” – Dan Brown
12. “It was strange, really. A couple months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently I could.” – Gabrielle Zevin
13. “Make it a rule of life never to regret and never to look back. Regret is an appalling waste of energy; you can’t build on it; it’s only good for wallowing in.” – Katherine Mansfield
15. “Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got.” – Robert Brault
16. “No partner in a love relationship… should feel that he has to give up an essential part of himself to make it viable.” – May Sarton
More Related Articles
17. “It is far better to be alone than to be in bad company.” – George Washington
18. “For lack of an occasional expression of love, a relationship strong at the seams can wear thin in the middle.” –Robert Breault
19. “How can I let you be a priority in my life, when I’m still an option in your life?” – Hussein Nishah
20. “A bad relationship can do that, can make you doubt everything good you ever felt about yourself.” – Dionne Warwick
21. “Relationships are supposed to make you feel good. Relationships are not supposed to make you feel bad.” – Laura Bowers
22. “I am a strong believer that a bad relationship must be brought to an end, no matter how.” – Unknown
24. “The wrong person will give you less than what you’re worth but that doesn’t mean that you have to accept it.” – Sonya Parker
25. “The quality of your life is the quality of your relationships.” – Anthony Robbins
26. “Relationships end, but they don’t end your life.” – Steve Martin
27. “I think a relationship is like a shark. It has to constantly move forward or it dies.” – Woody Allen
29. “Everybody has bad relationships and, at the end of the day, they are just a great way to set yourself up for a good relationship.” – Anne Hathaway
30. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Khalil Gibran
31. “We are born in relationship, we are wounded in relationship, and we can be healed in relationship.” – Harville Hendrix
How to Use These Leaving a Bad Relationship Quotes for Healing
One or more of these quotes stopped you in your tracks because they captured your feelings about a bad relationship.
It's validating to see your thoughts and emotions revealed this way. So let's put that validation to work for your continued growth and healing. Here are some ideas on using these quotes.
Journal Prompts: Include a quote at the top of your journal page and write about anything that comes up for you about your breakup. Release those raw, difficult emotions on paper.
Unsent Letter: Use a quote as part of an unsent letter you write to your ex. Expand on the thoughts in the quote and express what you'd really like to say, even if you know it's not good for you to send the letter.
Inspiration for a Poem or Song: Many a lyric or poem started with a broken heart. Use the quotes to inspire your creativity, a positive channel for your anger and pain.
So what did you read here in these girlfriend or boyfriend break-up quotes that can help you understand what went wrong and move on with dignity?
Take a deep breath and remember: you deserve a happy, healthy connection with someone who loves you deeply. Don’t give up on love. Your person is out there waiting for you.