Are you at the precipice of an ending or about to take the first step toward a new beginning?
Either way, it’s a scary place to be when you aren’t sure what the future holds.
But nothing is more consistent in life than endings and beginnings, and when you embrace that reality, starting over doesn’t seem so daunting.
It will happen with or without your buy-in, so take the reins and go for it — on your own terms.
If you need a little nudge to motivate you, our list of quotes about starting over is meant for you.
41 Starting Over Quotes to Inspire You
Now that we have your attention take a few moments to read through these starting anew quotes.
We’ve divided them into categories that might be relevant to your situation.
Choose the quotes that speak to you most and try using them in these ways:
- Write them on sticky notes and post them where you’ll see them throughout your day.
- Use one as a journal prompt to write about your fears and your motivations to take the first step.
- If you’re seeing a therapist to help you with starting over, bring one to your next appointment to discuss.
Quotes About Starting Over in a Relationship
The first start again quotes on our list are for those of you looking for a fresh start in an existing relationship or those wanting to begin again in a new one.
Your relationships with lovers, family, and friends can go through many changes and transitions, and these powerful words can help you navigate them.
1. “Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” — Steve Maraboli
2. “All he would say was that sometimes you have to burn it down and start over.” — Kelly Braffet
3. “Maybe it’s not about trying to fix something that’s broken. Maybe it’s about starting over and creating something better.” — Unknown
4. “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.” – Lao Tzu
5. “Letting go doesn’t mean you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you have control over is yourself.” — Deborah Reber
7. “And suddenly, you know…It’s time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings.” — Meister Eckhart
8. “Starting over can be challenging, but also it can be a great opportunity to do things differently.” – Catherine Pulsifer
9. “Can we start over? Can we be strangers again? Let me introduce myself. We can laugh and talk and relearn what we already know. And come up with new inside jokes and new memories and give each other a second chance.” — Unknown
10. “Though nobody can go back and make a new beginning, anyone can start over and make a new ending.” – Chico Xavier
Quotes About Divorce and Starting Over
One of the most challenging endings for anyone is the dissolution of a marriage. You’re not just saying goodbye to the person but also to the hopes and dreams you had about your lives together.
Read through these quotes about beginning again after divorce to ease the pain and help you plan for your new future without your spouse.
11. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” — Steve Maraboli
12. “Take a deep breath, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again.” — Frank Sinatra
13. “It’s painful and it’s messy. But sometimes you just have to make the break and start again.” — Tony Parsons
14. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them…but still move on without them.” — Mandy Hale
16. “If you keep picking at that scab on your heart, it won’t heal.” — Antonia Perdu
17. “The best thing about endings is knowing that just ahead is the daunting task to start over.” — Jodi Picoult
18. “There’s a great deal of relief in goodbyes and a lot of promise in hellos.” — Laarni Venus Marie Giango
19. “Recreate your life, always. Remove the stones, plant rose bushes and make sweets. Begin again.” – Cora Coralina
More Related Articles
Quotes About Starting Over and New Beginnings
On a more positive note, there are times in life when starting over is thrilling and fun. New beginnings are filled with hope and possibility.
You can use those feelings as fuel to propel you forward as you work toward reaching new dreams and goals. Here are some “fresh start” starting over quotes to fan the flame.
20. “It happens to everyone as they grow up. You find out who you are and what you want, and then you realize that people you’ve known forever don’t see things the way you do. So you keep the wonderful memories, but find yourself moving on.” — Nicholas Sparks
22. “Whatever wrong turns you’ve taken in life you can always start over and find your way back to happiness.” — Marty Rubin
23. “Today is a BRAND NEW day—a perfectly good reason to get up and start over. Never give up.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
24. “As long as you’re still alive, you always have the chance to start again.” — Emily Acker
25. “It’s never too late to start over!” – Lynne Gentry
26. “Forget everything you’ve done. Start over.” – Marty Rubin
27. “If I must start somewhere, right here and now is the best place imaginable.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
28. “Don’t be afraid to start over. This time you’re not starting from scratch. You’re starting from experience.” — Unknown
29. “You are never too old to start over. Every day is a chance to make changes to create the life we want.” — Karon Waddell
30. “Don’t worry. Just when you think your life is over, a new storyline falls from the sky and lands right in your lap.” – Rebekah Crane
Inspirational Quotes About Starting Over
31. “Chance is not a word to toss in the air. It’s a word to take in, a word to give yourself.” — Michelle Muriel
33. “The direction you choose to face determines whether you’re standing at the end or the beginning of a road.” — Richelle E. Goodrich
34. “For last year’s words belong to last year’s language. And next year’s words await another voice.” — T.S. Eliot
35. “You can start anew at any given moment. Life is just the passage of time and it’s up to you to pass it as you please.” — Charlotte Ericksson
36. “Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.” — Chuang Tzu
37. “You’ll never get a new ending if you keep starting with the same tired beginning.” — Lisa Daily
38. “Life is never too heavy to pick up where we left off.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones
40. “When you can no longer think of a reason to continue you must think of a reason to start over.” — Linda Poindexter
41. “Every day begins like a blank chalkboard, on which each one of us can write the poem of our present and our dreams for the future.” — Ricky Martin
You’ve read through our curated list of inspirational quotes about starting over, so the next move is yours. How will you use these quotes to take the next step and hit the reset button on your life?
Your new adventure awaits — so get moving!