Growing in self-knowledge is a lifelong journey.
But when something happens that throws your sense of identity into chaos (however briefly), it can help to know you’re not alone.
We’ve collected 101 finding yourself quotes from people all over the world.
Some will strike you as more familiar than others.
Some may get you thinking in ways you haven’t tried yet.
Keep your journal handy.
101 Quotes About Finding Yourself
Read through the following quotes for finding yourself, and make a note of the ones that stand out for you and get you thinking.
Quotes About Finding Yourself After A Break-Up
Break-ups are good for shaking up your idea of who you are outside the relationship, as well as you who were inside of it. Use the insights in the following quotes to get better acquainted with your independent self.
1. “I will not allow myself to not feel chosen every single day. And I’ll wait till whenever that is.” — Hannah Brown
2. “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.” — Mohadesa Najumi
3. “Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.” — Robert Holden
4. “Every time you thought you couldn’t keep moving forward, you did. Take a moment to appreciate your strength.” — Karen Salmanson
6. ”Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tiptoe if you must, but take the step.” ― Naeem Callaway
7. “Don’t be afraid to stand for what you believe in, even if that means standing alone.” — Andy Biersack
8. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
9. “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” — Abraham Lincoln
10. “Most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.” —Elle Woods
11. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them … but still move on without them.” — Mandy Hale
12. “Pain makes you stronger, fear makes you braver, heartbreak makes you wiser.” —Drake
13. “Sometimes, I don’t know what haunts me more… The memories of you… Or the happy person I used to be.” —Ranata Suzuki
15. “I didn’t lose you. You lost me. You’ll search for me inside of everyone you’re with and I won’t be found.” — R.H.Sin
16. “If you don’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?” — RuPaul
17. “I’m thankful for my struggle because without it I wouldn’t have stumbled across my strength.” — Alex Elle
18. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” — Guy Finley
19. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
20. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way.” – Carl Sagan
21. “The day I met you, was the day I lost myself… The day you left me, was the day I found myself…” ― Ama H. Vanniarachchy
Short Quotes About Finding Yourself
Sometimes, you just want something short, clear, and succinct. We collected this group of quotes to fit that mood.
22. “Sometimes when you lose your way, you find YOURSELF.” ― Mandy Hale
23. “I just want to be someone, to mean something to anyone…” ― Charlotte Eriksson
24. “Don’t worry about finding your soul mate. Find yourself.” ― Jason Evert
25. “People who fit don’t seek. The seekers are those that don’t fit.” ― Shannon L. Alder
26. “To find yourself, think for yourself.” –Socrates
28. “This is the practice. It isn’t easy. It isn’t certain. It is beautiful.” – Leo Babauta
29. “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t… You’re right.” — Henry Ford
30. “The more I stepped away from darkness, the less it felt like home.” ― Mitali Meelan
31. “Find yourself and you will find your freedom.” ― Gillian Duce
32. “The only journey is the journey within.” – Rainer Maria Rilke
33. “All scars bring us closer to our deeper self.” ― Bert McCoy
34. “Stop living someone else’s definition of happiness and start living your own.” ― David Paul Vosburg
35. “Lovely days don’t come to you, you should walk to them.” ― Rumi
36. “Not until we are lost do we being to understand ourselves.” – Henry David Thoreau
37. “Find your mirror and take great notes.” ― Bert McCoy
38. “Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom.” – Lao Tzu
39. “Know thyself” If I knew myself, I’d run away.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
40. “Find yourself; it’s worth the treasure.” ― Amaranthine Poetry
41. “What you have to find is yourself first.” ―Nishi De Silva
42. “You never find yourself until you face the truth.” — Pearl Bailey
44. “All the wonders you seek are within yourself.” –Thomas Browne
Famous Quotes About Finding Yourself
Some quotes or some of the people behind them are more famous than others. They didn’t get that way by hiding—from themselves or from anyone else. You deserve to be known.
45. “By discovering nature, you discover yourself.” –Maxime Lagace
46. “Be who you are, and find yourself so you can be your own person and enjoy life with no regret.” – Bonnie Zackson Koury
47. “And into the forest, I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” –John Muir
48. “Each man’s life represents a road toward himself.” – Herman Hesse
49. “A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.” – Jean de La Fontaine
50. “Know yourself. Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”– Ann Landers
51. “The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are.” –Carl Jung
52. “As I began to love myself, I found that anguish and emotional suffering are only warning signs that I was living against my own truth. Today, I know, this is authenticity.” –Charlie Chaplin
53. “Love the life you have while you create the life of your dreams.” –Hal Elrod
55. “The moment you know yourself, you have known the most precious thing in existence.” –Osho
56. “Until you value yourself, you won’t value your time. Until you value your time, you won’t do anything with it.” –M. Scott Peck
57. “A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.” – George Moore
58. “The story ends up being a journey of self-discovery.” — Elijah Wood
59. “And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?” — Rumi
60. “First find the man in yourself if you will inspire manliness in others.” —Amos Bronson Alcott
Inspirational Finding Yourself Quotes
You may find inspiration in quotes from others who have been where you are now and who have learned something new and precious about themselves. You will, too.
61. “I think you travel to search and you come back home to find yourself there.” ― Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
62. “Follow your bliss and don’t be afraid, and doors will open where you didn’t know they were going to be.” –Joseph Campbell
63. “I don’t want to be just one thing. I want to be brave and selfless and intelligent and honest and kind.” ― Veronica Roth
64. “We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” — T.S. Elliot
65. “Whatever it takes to find the real you, don’t be daunted if the rest of the world looks on in shock.” ― Stephen Richards
66. “It is one thing to lose people you love. It is another to lose yourself. That is a greater loss.” ― Donna Goddard
67. “You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need.” — Jerry Gillies
68. “You cannot find yourself till you lose yourself.” ― Abhijit Naskar
69. “With movement comes identity.” ― Karl Kristian Flores
71. “Be unapologetically yourself. That’s easier said than done, but most worthwhile things are.” ― Nina Guilbeau
72. “The quickest way to find your true self is to forget who you are.” ― Marty Rubin
73. “Your real self may be hiding somewhere, look for it within, when you find yourself, you can freely be what you want to be.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
74. “When you know yourself you are empowered. When you accept yourself you are invincible.” — Tina Lifford
75. “You must befriend a few skeletons before you’ll find your deepest self.” ― Curtis Tyrone Jones
76. “When you devote your life to ‘finding yourself,’ you probably won’t.” ― Laura Schlessinger
77. “It is so important to take time for yourself and find clarity. The most important relationship is the one you have with yourself.” –Diane Von Furstenberg
78. “Men can starve from a lack of self-realization as much as they can from a lack of bread.” –Richard Wright
79. “Whatever you are doing, love yourself for doing it. Whatever you are feeling, love yourself for feeling it.” –Thaddeus Goals
80. “Finding yourself is just the beginning. Making the best of what you find is the real challenge.” ― Drishti Bablani
81. “I feel the older I get, the more I’m learning to handle life. Being on this quest for a long time, it’s all about finding yourself.” –Ringo Starr
83. “One must know oneself. If this does not serve to discover truth, it at least serves as a rule of life, and there is nothing better.” –Blaise Pascal
Quotes About Finding Your Way
When you’ve lost your sense of direction, the following quotes can help you find it again and take the next steps forward.
84. “Nature is a beautiful place to get lost and find yourself. A place which will never disappoint you and you will love it always. A place close to your heart where you can find peace. A place where you can feel lively and get to know a little more of you.” –Aksu
85. “Unlike many other journeys, when it comes to finding self and matters of the heart you’ll swiftly find yourself lost if you follow someone else’s” ― Rasheed Ogunlaru
86. “It‘s not about your wildest dreams coming true but being able to dream the wildest side of you.” ― Talismanist Giebra
87. “When you discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy; care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” –Jean Shinoda Bolen
88. “I had to lose my mind to find myself, and when I found myself, my mind returned.” ― Sanjo Jendayi
89. “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” –Brene Brown
90. “Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — Lolly Daskal
92. “When we find a purpose that is bigger than ourselves, we become more powerful in our ability to create.” — Jack Delosa
93. “At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.” — Lao Tzu
94. “You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.” – James A. Froude
95. “If you’re being ignored, that’s a good time to concentrate on finding yourself and creating your own mystery.” — Lykke Li
96. “The only way to learn who you are is to leave home.” ― Sana Krasikov
97. “Don’t be afraid of who you’re not.. Be afraid of never knowing who you are. Defend your authentic self.” ― Karen Laffey
98. “You can find a better you inside of you. Why don’t you search for that?” ― Munia Khan
99. “I was once afraid of people saying, ‘Who does she think she is?’ Now I have the courage to stand and say, ‘This is who I am.’” — Oprah Winfrey
100. “I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision. “ –Eleanor Roosevelt
101. “It is not only the most difficult thing to know oneself, but the most inconvenient one, too.” – H.W. Shaw
More Related Articles
Now that you’ve looked through all 101 discover yourself quotes, no doubt some of them felt more relevant to where you are now. Some have come closer to putting your own experience and perspective into words.
It’s no accident, either. When someone feels the way you do, now, they can’t help wanting to express that. The desire to know oneself and to be known by others is universal.
So, which quotes stood out for you? And what have you learned from them?