63 Inspirational Quotes About New Beginnings
You’re starting a new life, and you look forward to doing some things differently.
Or maybe you’re hoping you’ll still be able to enjoy some of your favorite things from the life you lived before.
In either case, it helps to get some insight from those who’ve been where you are now.
For that reason, we’ve found 63 thoughtful new beginnings quotes.
We bet you’ll find at least one with the perfect message for your new start.
63 Quotes about New Beginnings
1. “The beginning is always today.” ― Mary Shelley
2. “You are never too old to start over. Every day is a chance to make changes to create the life we want.” ― Karon Waddell
3. “Every moment is a fresh beginning.” — T.S. Eliot
4. “The chief beauty about time is that you cannot waste it in advance. The next year, the next day, the next hour are lying ready for you, as perfect, as unspoiled, as if you had never wasted or misapplied a single moment in all your life. You can turn over a new leaf every hour if you choose.” ― Arnold Bennett
5. “Everything begins at the beginning, and quite often the beginning begins when you shift your mind in a new direction.” ― Louie Herron
6. “Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts. It's what you do with what you have left.” ― Hubert Humphrey
7. “Starting over is an acceptance of a past we can’t change, an unrelenting conviction that the future can be different, and the stubborn wisdom to use the past to make the future what the past was not.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
8. “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” ― Lao Tzu
9. “Each day is a new beginning, the chance to do with it what should be done and not to be seen as simply another day to put in time.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
10. “Though we may not have reached the heights we anticipated yesterday, today is a brand new day to begin a new climb.” ― Chinonye J. Chidolue
11. “You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” ― Mary Pickford
12. “Even the greatest was once a beginner. Don't be afraid to take that first step.” ― Muhammad Ali
13. “This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind … let it be something good.” ― Mac Anderson
14. “It's good to start over. It will be scary but you will see what you're really made of; it's the best opportunity to achieve what you never thought you could.” ― Jennifer Coletta
15. “You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” ― Zig Ziglar
16. “Never underestimate the power you have to take your life in a new direction.” ― Germany Kent
17. “You can start anew at any given moment. Life is just the passage of time and it’s up to you to pass it as you please.” ― Charlotte Eriksson
18. “You will enrich your life immeasurably if you approach it with a sense of wonder and discovery, and always challenge yourself to try new things.” ― Nate Berkus
19. “What is not started today is never finished tomorrow.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
20. “Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.” — Jim Rohn
21. “The earth provides us a brand new beginning every twenty-four hours. It is a repeated invitation to breathe in the cool morning air and start afresh; to mimic the sunrise and brighten up while reaching once more for the sky; to carry a glad song in our heart like the early birds; and, as faithfully as the morning dew, to wash off the dust from yesterday.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
22. “If you do not see light at the end of the tunnel, consider it an opportunity to create an opening yourself, wherever you want.” ― Ashok Kallarakkal
23. “We have it in our power to begin the world over again.” ― Thomas Paine
24. “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide you’re not going to stay where you are.” — John Pierpont Morgan
25. “The future lies ahead, calling us up, offering us a new chance to make a new choice every day, offering us the chance to go another way, to start over. The possibilities are countless. All you have to do is just dare to take them.” ― Zøe Haslie
26. “As long as you're still alive, you always have the chance to start again.” ― Emily Acker
27. “The Sun is a daily reminder that we too can rise again from the darkness, that we too can shine our own light.” ― S. Ajna
28. “The world is round and the place which may seem like the end may also be the beginning.” ― Ivy Baker Priest
29. “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”― Lao Tzu
30. “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.” ― Walt Disney
31. “If God closes a door and a window, consider the fact that it might be time to build a whole new house.” ― Mandy Hale
32. “Life isn't perfect but we all have a chance, an opportunity or a right to embrace each new day to do many things. We can decide to make it a great day, or we can simply squander it with pettiness, old grudges, or dwelling on previous mistakes.” ― Byron Pulsifer
33. “Begin, be bold and venture to be wise.” ― Horace
Related: The Way To Begin A New Beginning
34. “It's a wise man who understands that every day is a new beginning, because boy, how many mistakes do you make in a day? I don't know about you, but I make plenty. You can't turn the clock back, so you have to look ahead.” ― Mel Gibson
35. “There are no limits to what you can accomplish, except the limits you place on your own thinking.” ― Brian Tracy
36. “Nothing is predestined. The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.” ― Ralph Blum
37. “Starting over is opportunity informed by failure, which is opportunity made intelligent.” ― Craig D. Lounsbrough
38. “Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy.” ― Sarah Ban Breathnach
39. “It's humbling to start fresh. It takes a lot of courage. But it can be reinvigorating. You just have to put your ego on a shelf & tell it to be quiet.” ― Jennifer Ritchie Payette
40. “No river can return to its source, yet all rivers must have a beginning.” ― Native American Proverb
41. “Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” ― L.M. Montgomery
42. “I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning.” ― J. B. Priestly
43. “If I must start somewhere, right here and now is the best place imaginable.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
44. “Every day is a chance to begin again. Don’t focus on the failures of yesterday, start today with positive thoughts and expectations.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
45. “Don't let the lessons, the experiences of the past, dampen your enthusiasm for beginnings. Just because it's been hard doesn't mean it will always be that difficult.” ― Fr. John Murphy
46. “Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be.” ― Marsha Petrie Sue
47. “There’s nothing you can do now to change what has already happened. If you spend time worrying about it, you’ll lose sight of the present and stumble into a cloudy future. You can’t go back and make a new start, but you can start right now and make a brand new ending.” ― James R. Sherman
48. “The magic in new beginnings is truly the most powerful of them all.” ― Josiyah Martin
49. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” ― C.S. Lewis
50. “For last year's words belong to last year's language / And next year's words await another voice. / And to make an end is to make a beginning.” ― T.S. Eliot
51. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
52. “The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” ― Socrates
53. “The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.” ― Arthur C. Clarke
54. “Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.” ― Henry Ford
55. “You will never win if you never begin.” ― Helen Rowland
56. “The important thing is not being afraid to take a chance. Remember, the greatest failure is to not try. Once you find something you love to do, be the best at doing it.” ― Debbi Fields
57. “Begin to be now what you will be hereafter.” ― William James
58. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” ― Henry David Thoreau
59. “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
60. “A man would do nothing, if he waited until he could do it so well that no one would find fault with what he has done.” — Cardinal Newman
61. “With every roadblock, a detour is built. With every ending, a new beginning is defined. Embracing a challenge makes life interesting, but overcoming it makes life meaningful.” ― Matthew E. Fryer
62. “Your first birthday was a beginning, and each new birthday is a chance to begin again, to start over, to take a new grip on life.” ― Wilferd Peterson
63. “It’s not because things are difficult that we dare not venture. It’s because we dare not venture that they are difficult.” — Seneca
Did you enjoy these quotes about new beginnings?
There’s more than one way to make the most of these quotes.
You could read through all of these and pick a few favorites to keep close to you as you get your new life sorted.
Or you could print out the list, cut out each quote, put the whole lot of them in a jar, and draw one out every morning of your first nine weeks.
However you go about it, we hope you find at least one new start quote that meets you right where you are.
May your courage, compassion, and sense of adventure influence everything you do today.