Are you a people pleaser — someone who tends to put other peoples’ needs before their own?
If yes, you may need to set some personal boundaries and start taking as good care of yourself as you do others.
Doing so will shield you from unwarranted toxic behavior and reckless invalidation.
To help you get in the right frame of mind, we’ve curated a list of quotes about boundaries and hope they help you explore boundary setting for yourself.
96 Setting Boundaries Quotes to Propel You to Set Your Own
Our healthy boundaries quotes can apply to the six types of limits: emotional, physical, sexual, workplace, material, and time.
Pick options that resonate with you and incorporate them into your affirmation practice.
1. “You get what you tolerate.” – Henry Cloud
3. “Choose to be pro-active, assertive and self-defining.”- Bryant McGill
4. “Boundaries are to protect life, not to limit pleasures.”- Edwin Louis Cole
5. “Boundary setting is really a huge part of time management.”- Jim Loehr
6. “Individuals set boundaries to feel safe, respected, and heard.”- Pamela Cummins
7. “The boundary to what we can accept is the boundary to our freedom.”- Tara Brach
8. “The boundaries of design are the same as the problem of perception.”- John Hench
9. “Each time you set a healthy boundary, you say ‘yes’ to more freedom.”- Nancy Levin
10. “We need to have a talk on the subject of what’s yours and what’s mine.” ― Stieg Larsson
12. “I encourage people to remember that “No” is a complete sentence.”- Gavin de Becker
More Related Articles
13. “Being able to say “No” is a necessary ingredient in a healthy lifestyle.”- David W. Earle
15. “The only boundaries we have are in form. There are no obstacles in thought.”- Wayne Dyer
16. “Boundaries are a part of self-care. They are healthy, normal, and necessary.”- Doreen Virtue
17. “Boundaries aren’t all bad. That’s why there are walls around mental institutions.”- Peggy Noonan
18. “Honoring your own boundaries is the clearest message to others to honor them, too.”- Gina Greenlee
19. “It is necessary, and even vital, to set standards for your life and the people you allow in it.”- Mandy Hale
21. “A boundary is not that at which something stops, but that from which something begins.”- Martin Heidegger
22. “Boundaries represent awareness, knowing what the limits are and then respecting those limits.”- David W. Earle
23. “A broken soul doesn’t invest in boundaries because the world has crossed them, without mercy.”- Shannon L. Alder
24. “Your personal boundaries protect the inner core of your identity and your right to choices.”- Gerard Manley Hopkins
25. “Healthy boundaries are not walls. They are gates and fences that allow you to enjoy the beauty of your own garden.”- Lydia Hall
26. “Boundaries are, in simple terms, the recognition of personal space.” ― Asa Don Brown
27. “Just as we expect others to value our boundaries, it’s equally important for us to respect the boundaries of others.” ― Laurie Buchanan
28. “Once you see the boundaries of your environment, they are no longer the boundaries of your environment.” ― Marshall McLuhan
29. “Having healthy boundaries not only requires being able to say “no”, but also being willing and able to enforce that “no” when necessary.” ― Jessica Moore
31. “Respectful boundaries are needed so that we can look after ourselves and continue to give to others. After all, nobody can be expected to pour from an empty cup.” ― Mungi Ngomane
32. “We are all entitled to feel worthy of our time here. Therefore, boundary those who make you feel unworthy in any way today.” ― Chidi Ejeagba
33. “We can’t connect with someone unless we’re clear about where we end and they begin.” ― Brené Brown
34. “When we give away our boundaries, we give away our life.” ― W. Allen Morris
35. “Consider that the boundaries of your comfort zone are actually your core values.” ― Stacey Hall
36. “The more you value yourself, the healthier your boundaries are.” ― Lorraine Nilon
37. “Safe spaces have boundaries. You are a safe space. So set your boundaries.” ― Bethanee Epifani J. Bryant
38. “Boundaries we set for our life are important, life-saving even. A lot of hurt comes from allowing others to guilt us into breaking them.” ― Zara Hairston
39. “For some, their ‘self-love’ was really just a hell that felt numb; they’d made themselves so protected, so delicate, that like jail-cells their boundaries had become.” ― Criss Jami
40. “Emotional self-defense is an act of wisdom. Building personal boundaries is an act of strength. Anyone who tells you differently is often the reason we need both.” ― Steve Maraboli
41. “Those who get angry when you set a boundary are the ones you need to set boundaries for.” ― J.S. Wolfe
42. “It’s not possible to have trust without boundaries. But for most of us, boundaries are a real mystery.” ― Gina Senarighi
43. “Without clear boundaries, it’s not possible to build trust with others- or to earn trust from others.” ― Gina Senarighi
45. “Walls keep everybody out. Boundaries teach them where the door is.” ―Mark Groves
46. “Setting boundaries is a way of caring for myself. It doesn’t make me mean, selfish, or uncaring, because I also care about the well-being of others. When I set boundaries, I’m more likely to be seen as compassionate.” – Brené Brown
47. “When you say ‘yes’ to others, make sure you are not saying ‘no’ to yourself.” – Paulo Coelho
48. “Boundaries aren’t about telling other people what they can or cannot do. They are about deciding what you will or will not tolerate.” – Unknown
49. “Setting boundaries is a way of loving yourself.” – Unknown
50. “The more you love yourself, the less nonsense you’ll tolerate.” – Unknown
51. “You teach people how to treat you by what you allow, what you stop, and what you reinforce.” – Tony Gaskins
52. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
53. “The only way to deal with fear is to face it head on.” – Oprah Winfrey
54. “Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation – although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in reality they are attempting to manipulate.” – Unknown
55. “Your time and energy are precious. Don’t waste them on people who don’t value you.” – Unknown
56. “If you’re not comfortable saying ‘no,’ you’ll always end up with more work than you can handle.” – Unknown
57. “Your peace is more important than driving yourself crazy trying to understand why something happened the way it did.” – Unknown
58. “Don’t let anyone else’s opinion of you become your reality.” – Les Brown
59. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love yourself.” – Whitney Houston
60. “A boundary is a line that defines where your responsibility ends and the other person’s begins.” – Anne Katherine
61. “When you set boundaries, you give yourself permission to prioritize your own needs and desires.” – Unknown
62. “Your boundaries need to be strong enough to keep people out, but flexible enough to let people in.” – Unknown
63. “If you don’t have boundaries, you don’t have a relationship.” – Unknown
64. “Setting boundaries is not a sign of weakness. It’s a sign of self-respect.” – Unknown
65. “You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first.” – Unknown
66. “Your boundaries are your values in action.” – Cheryl Richardson
68. “You don’t have to attend every argument you’re invited to.” – Unknown
69. “Boundaries aren’t about creating walls, they’re about creating gates.” – Unknown
70. “Self-care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” – Eleanor Brown
71. “Boundaries are a way of honoring our own truth and allowing others to honor theirs.” – Unknown
72. “You deserve to be treated with love and respect, and it’s up to you to make sure that you are.” – Unknown
73. “When you love yourself enough, you set boundaries that others may not understand, but you do so from a place of clarity and love.” – Unknown
74. “The best boundaries are loving ones. The person who has to remain in a protective shell becomes more and more brittle.” – Anne Katherine
76. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer to others.” – Parker Palmer
77. “The purpose of setting boundaries is to protect and take care of ourselves. We need to be able to tell other people when they are acting in ways that are not acceptable to us.” – Melody Beattie
78. “When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” – Maya Angelou
79. “You can’t change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.” – Mahatma Gandhi
80. “The only people who get upset about you setting boundaries are the ones who were benefiting from you having none.” – Unknown
81. “We need to start focusing on what matters—on how we feel, and how we want to feel.” – Danielle LaPorte
82. “Boundaries are a sign of self-respect. They’re the cornerstone of healthy relationships.” – Alyssa Nobriga
83. “You can’t please everyone. When you’re too focused on living up to other people’s standards, you aren’t spending enough time raising your own.” – Unknown
84. “Boundaries are like a fence. They keep the good in and the bad out.” – Helen Edwards
85. “It’s not your job to make everyone happy, it’s your job to make yourself happy.” – Unknown
86. “Healthy boundaries are not about creating distance, but about creating a relationship with yourself first and foremost.” – Mona Cooley
87. “Boundaries are a way of taking care of ourselves. They’re a way of saying, ‘This is what I need, and I’m not willing to compromise on it.'” – Unknown
88. “We teach people how to treat us by what we tolerate.” – Dr. Phil McGraw
89. “If you want to find happiness, find courage to change what’s not working.” – Unknown
91. “Setting boundaries is a way of communicating your needs and expectations clearly.” – Dr. Judith Orloff
92. “Your boundaries will be tested, so don’t be afraid to reinforce them.” – Unknown
93. “If you don’t value yourself, then you will always be attracted to people who don’t value you either.” – Sabrina Alexis
94. “If you don’t know what your boundaries are, you’re going to have a hard time setting them.” – Unknown
95. “Boundaries are not selfish. They are an act of self-love and self-respect.” – Amanda Richardson
96. “It’s okay to say ‘no’ to things that don’t align with your values or vision for your life.” – Brittany Burgunder
Why Setting Boundaries Is Essential
Boundaries are essential if you’re contending with challenging people or situations yet want to maintain good mental and physical health.
Establishing parameters for yourself will help:
- Ensure you don’t burn out
- Decrease the chances of anxiety or panic attacks
- Improve your self-esteem
- Reduce awkward or uncomfortable — but avoidable — situations
- Develop independence
Setting boundaries is beneficial, but it isn’t always easy. Doing some “quote therapy” work will give you the courage and clarity to get the job done.
Some Helpful Tips For Using These Quotes on Boundaries
In most cases, we need to set boundaries with people who we genuinely love or have to work with.
After all, if the person didn’t matter to us, or we never had to see them again, we wouldn’t set boundaries; we’d just sever ties.
As such, boundary setting isn’t the easiest thing to do. Thankfully, a bit of “quote therapy” can give you the motivation and confidence needed to broach the topic.
How does it work? Here are the four pillars of using quotes.
- As an Affirmation: Affirmations work. They create new neural pathways that help get us into the mindset we need.
- On Social Media: Posting and sharing quotes on social media can benefit you and others. It’s also a good reminder and psyches you up for the conversation.
- For Journaling: Journaling about quotes is a great way to “implant” them in your consciousness. Copying the quote is beneficial because we remember it better, and thinking about it from different angles also helps.
- As a Screensaver: Design a screensaver of your favorite spiritual healing quote for your devices.
Bookmark this page of boundaries quotes and come back when you need some inspiration.
Boundary setting is a powerful tool, but they’re not a silver bullet. If you’re having a tough time navigating a challenging situation or relationship, consider seeking help from a therapist or life coach.