71 Of The Best Missing You Quotes
Last Updated on
Someone you love is far away, and your world feels poorer and less colorful without them.
But when you get ready to send them a heartfelt message, you struggle to think of the right words.
How do you communicate just how much you miss them?
The pain of missing someone you love defies language.
But the “I miss you” love quotes we collected for this article can help you express your feelings with more clarity and elegance.
Someone out there is missing your love, too.
Those who contributed the 71 quotes listed below know something of the pain you’re both going through.
Let their words help you say what you need to say.
71 Missing You Quotes
1. “I miss you always and every day But when I search my heart for you I find that you never went away” ― Terri Guillemets
2. “Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.” ― Alphonse de Lamartine
3. “The pain of missing you is a beautiful reminder of the joy of loving you.” ― Dean Jackson
4. “But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it.” ― Calla Quinn
5. “The world is thinning and the earth…it's still spinning my world is thinning and it’s all because of one person I’m missing.” ― Sanober Khan
6. “Can miles truly separate you from friends… If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?” ― Richard Bach
7. “As contraries are known by contraries, so is the delight of presence best known by the torments of absence.” ― Alcibiades
8. “But like, how do you know it’s love?” “When you miss the other person even if they’re half a room away.” ― Anyta Sunday
9. “Love reckons hours for months, and days for years; and every little absence is an age.” ― John Dryden
10. “Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven.” ― Tryon Edwards
11. “I miss you. I sit here lost, genuinely yearning to know what you’re doing and where you are.” — Samantha King
12. “Last night the nightingale sat by my window and sang her joyous song of love… Though I loved it, my heart silently missed the beautiful song of your heartbeat!” ― Avijeet Das
13.“I miss you deeply, unfathomably, senselessly, terribly.” ― Franz Kafka
14. “Some poets write pages upon pages because their hearts have a song to sing and their melodies cannot be contained in a single stanza… and I find myself typing out a quote because my soul is still gasping for breath, and all the words form a single sentence: I miss us.” ― Alfa
15. “Days of absence, sad and dreary, Clothed in sorrow's dark array, – Days of absence, I am weary; She I love is far away.” ― Jean-Jacques Rousseau
16. “I miss your voice because it is a symphony; your scent because it is a treasure; your smile because it is a jewel; your hug because it is a masterpiece; and your kiss because it is a miracle.” ― Matshona Dhliwayo
17. “Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in heart.” ― Kay Knudsen
18. “I miss those kisses and the way I used to sleep in your warm hug. I miss the way you made me eat breakfasts and I miss the way you made me laugh. I miss you.” ― Himmilicious
19. “Absence from whom we love is worse than death, and frustrates hope severer than despair.” ― William Cowper
20. “You know someone is very special to you when days just don’t seem right without them.” ― John Cena
21. “The joy of meeting pays the pangs of absence; else who could bear it?” ― Nicholas Rowe
22. “For when the cold winds blow, I will close my eyes calmly knowing I am anchored to you.” ― Tyler Knott Gregson
23. “I think about you constantly, whether it’s with my mind or my heart.” ― Terri Guillemets
You may also like:
- 37 Quotes On Gratitude To Shower People You Love
- 103 Of The Best Relationship Questions To Ask For Intimacy
- 72 Uplifting Quotes To Empower Your Day
- 55 Long-Distance Relationship Quotes
24. “Missing someone enlightens how the person means to you and broadens the feelings shared.” ― Unarine Ramaru
25. “No matter where you go, you will always be in my heart.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
26. “I love you past the moon and miss you beyond the stars.” ― JmStorm
27. “Is there nowhere left a spot Where the thought of you is not? I have sought it everywhere, Woods and waters, field and air. I have tried to think on Heaven, White-clad angels, souls forgiven. What are all such holy things? Only thoughts of you—with wings!” ― Margaret Widdemer
28. “When I close my eyes, I see you. When I open my eyes, I see you. There is nothing I can do without thinking of you.” — Poonam Advani
29. “I never want to miss a day without you.” ― Maria Koszler
30. “Hasn't it dawned on your twilight mind, even in the seconds span of a falling star, that you might be missing something more than your sleep?” ― Heather Johann
31. “You’re everywhere except right here and it hurts.” ― Rupi Kaur
32. “I don’t know what they are called, the spaces between seconds— but I think of you always in those intervals.” ― Salvador Plascencia
33. “One kind kiss before we part, Drop a tear, and bid adieu; Though we sever, my fond heart Till we meet shall pant for you.” ― Robert Dodsley
34. “Missing someone is not about how long it has been since you have seen them or the amount of time since you have talked…it is about that very moment when you are doing something and wishing they were there with you.” ― Dru Edmund Kucherera
35. “I miss you like the sun misses the flowers, like the sun misses the flowers in the depths of winter, instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world which your absence has banished me to.” ― Brian Helgeland
36. “I miss you in ways that not even words can understand.” ― Gemma Troy
37. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” ― A.A. Milne
38. “You can love someone so much, but you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” ― John Green
39. “No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.” ― Robert Southey
40. “I miss you in the maddening noise of crowd, I hear your laughter at my folly with sweet indifference, I miss you like a frozen tear finding its course, I miss you in your presence inside me, I miss you in every breath I take.” ― Debatrayee Banerjee
41. “Distance unites missing beats of two hearts in love.” ― Munia Khan
42. “Your memory feels like home to me. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds its way back to you.” ― Ranata Suzuki
43. “Sometimes the tender breeze can help us feel the presence of someone by bringing us their fragrance.” ― Avijeet Das
44. “Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” ― Henry David Thoreau
45. “What shall I do with all the days and hours that must be counted ere I see thy face? How shall I charm the interval that lowers between this time and that sweet time of grace?” ― Frances Anne Kemble
46. “There is nothing I can do that won’t bring me back to you.” ― Kamand Kojouri
47. “Ever absent, ever near; Still I see thee, still I hear; Yet I cannot reach thee, dear!” ― Francis Kazinczy
48. “The world is very quiet without you around.” ― Lemony Snicket
49. “As the presence of those we love is as a double life, so absence, in its anxious longing and sense of vacancy, is as a foretaste of death.” ― Anna Brownell Jameson
50. “It is loneliness that makes the loudest noise. This is true of men as of dogs.” ― Eric Hoffer
51. “I miss you in waves and tonight I’m drowning.” ― Denice Envall
52. “There's solace in the thought that I will never finish missing her.” ― Jim Crace
53. “And the nights grow cold without you — and the world is filled with the anguish of my loneliness — and the stars join me in sorrow while I long without wearying — to hold you once more in my arms, — to embrace you, and kiss you, and love you.” ― Morris Hyman
54. “Thou art gone from my gaze like a beautiful dream. And I seek thee in vain by the meadow and stream.” ― George Linley
55. “When you are not at hand to kiss away my fears I cannot choose but be wretched.” ― Byron Caldwell Smith
56. “Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle — everything I do stitched with its color.” ― W.S. Merwin
57. “I’ve learned that waiting is the most difficult bit, and I want to get used to the feeling, knowing that you’re with me, even when you’re not by my side.” ― Paulo Coelho
58. “Missing someone is the reverberating echo of everything beautiful about her—her laugh, her song, her touch, her smell, the power of her words, and the constant shadow that lingers on as her perfect image in your memory.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
59. “What a wonderful sadness to miss the one you have loved forever, it seems, and know that she is waiting at home.” ― Dan Groat
60. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” — Edna St Vincent Millay
61. “I wonder if that’s just how it feels to miss someone so bad — like being stabbed in the gut a little bit, each time you think of them.” ― Kate Ellison
62. “You left, and my heart is a ceaseless sermon of loneliness.” — Jaesse Tyler
63. “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” ― Nicholas Sparks
64. “What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you.” — Richard Wilbur
65. “Even the most colorful garden appears like a graveyard without you.” — Saravana Kumar Murugan
66. “I missed talking to you, and playing with you, and touching you, and seeing you smile. I missed just… sitting next to you. I’ve never missed anyone or anything that much.” — Mila Ferrera
67. “All days are nights to see till I see thee, And nights bright days when dreams do show thee to me.” — William Shakespeare
68. “I miss you. A little too much, a little too often, and a little bit more every day.” — John Michael Montgomery
69. “I am summer yearning for a drop of your rain.” — Gemma Troy
70. “The ‘I miss you’s,’ ‘I love you’s,’ and ‘I want to be with you’s’ will never amount to actually being with you physically.” — Raghib Clitso
71. “I think of you with every waking moment of my life and dream of you with every dream that I have; I miss you.” — Kong Moua
Did you find a favorite missing you quote?
Now that you’re equipped with 71 quotes from people who’ve missed loved ones just as much as you miss your own, which ones stood out to you? Which quotes would you be most likely to share with someone today?
However you share your chosen quotes — in an email, in a text message, or inscribed on a gift — may they help you bear the pain of separation.
Much as you might like to avoid facing that pain, you shut it out at the risk of building a wall between you and your loved ones.
Build a bridge instead — or strengthen the one you have.
And may your courage and thoughtfulness influence everything you do today.