If you’re in a long distance relationship, you know it’s not easy. You can only convey so much over phone lines, emails, text messages, and even video chats.
One way to soothe the pain of not knowing what your beloved is going through and not being there to help is to find ways to express and strengthen the bond between you.
And one way to do that is to find and share long distance relationship quotes that capture the unique challenges and strengths of that bond.
Even at a distance, there are a number of ways to share these quotes:
- Create and send a postcard with a favorite quote superimposed on a favorite photo of you two or of an image of something that has meaning for you both.
- Write and send a love note that begins with a favorite quote.
- Create a shareable graphic featuring a favorite quote and post it on a social media channel you both use, tagging your loved one to ensure he or she will see it.
- Send flowers or an edible bouquet with a favorite quote included on an enclosed personal message.
- Write a short book dedicated to your long-distance love with a favorite quote as the epigraph or added to the dedication page.
- Burn a mix CD of songs you both love and include the quote on the paper “cover” for the CD case — along with a list of the songs and a short, personal note.
Get ready to write down (or copy and paste) some long distance love quotes for your sweetheart, and choose one to share today.
55 Long Distance Relationship Quotes to Keep You Close and Connected
The following long-distance relationships quotes come from the minds of others who have been where you are now.
Reading them with this in mind can help you feel closer and more connected to the one you can’t hold right now.
Long Distance Love Quotes
Dissolve the distance between your minds by sharing one of these thoughtful and evocative quotes.
1. “Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It’s for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It’s for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don’t see it nearly enough.” — Meghan Daum
2. “Being close is the first and last desire of lovers, but being far and loving each other without an inch’s difference is the characteristic of real love.” — Senora Roy
3. “Love knows no distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.” — Gilbert Parker
4. “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.” — Helen Keller
5. “I don’t cry because we’ve been separated by distance, and for a matter of years. Why? Because for as long as we share the same sky and breathe the same air, we’re still together.” — Donna Lynn Hope
6. “Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great.” — Roger de Bussy-Rabutin
7. “The ocean separates lands, not souls.” — Munia Khan
8. “I believe in the immeasurable power of love; that true love can endure any circumstance and reach across any distance.” — Steve Maraboli
9. “In true love, the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged.” — Hans Nouwens
10. “Absence sharpens love, presence strengthens it.” — Thomas Fuller
11. “Love will travel as far as you let it. It has no limits.” — Dee King
12. “Distance between two people is inconsequential when their souls are united.” — Matshona Dhliwayo
Long Distance Relationship Quotes for Him
Find just the right balance of sweetness and depth in these LDR quotes to share with your husband or boyfriend while he’s away.
13. “I close my eyes, thinking that there is nothing like an embrace after an absence, nothing like fitting my face into the curve of his shoulder and filling my lungs with the scent of him.” — Jodi Picoult
“I found that I missed him the more he was absent from my life, and the more I missed him, the more I loved him.” — Donna Lynn Hope
14. “Distance never separates two hearts that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But whenever I start feeling sad, because I miss you, I remind myself how lucky I am to have someone so special to miss.” — Henri Nouwen
15. “Blow ‘o wind to where my loved one is. Touch him and come touch me soon. I’ll feel his gentle touch through you and meet his beauty in the moon. These things are much for the one who loves. One can live by them alone: that he and I breathe the same air and that the earth we tread is one.” — Ramayana
16. “When I don’t see you, I don’t miss you, I just place my hand over my heart and its there I will find you because even though you are out of my sight, you will never be out of my heart.” — Rashida Rowe
17. “I never got to tell him again that he really was wrong, that miles didn’t matter, not if you loved someone. That borders and oceans weren’t obstacles, not for the mind. I wished I’d been able to tell him these things, because saying them out loud to someone real, instead of a mirror or a picture postcard, would have made them all the more convincing.” — Emylia Hall
18. “I want to be with you. It’s as simple and as complicated as that.” — Charles Bukowski
19. “Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness.” — Albert Einstein
20. “I found that I missed him the more he was absent from my life, and the more I missed him, the more I loved him.” — Donna Lynn Hope
Long Distance Relationship Quotes for Her
Find just the right balance of tenderness and wisdom in these LDR quotes to share with your wife or girlfriend while you’re apart.
21. “The simple lack of her is more to me than others’ presence.” — Edward Thomas
22. “I fell in love with her when we were together, then fell deeper in love in the years we were apart.” — Nicholas Sparks
23. “The distance may be far and wide but my heart can cover them all. The space between us is so much more but you should know that I love you so!” — Linda Roy
24. “I’ll hold you in my heart, till I can hold you in my arms.” — Eddy Arnold
25. “I can’t text you roses, or fax you my heart. I’d email you kisses, but we’d still be apart. I love you to pieces, and just wish you’d see that I care for you so much because you mean the world to me.” — Mahmoud El Hallab
26. “Your absence has not taught me how to be alone, it merely has shown that when together we cast a single shadow on the wall.” — George Fetherling
27. “I miss you like the sun misses the flowers, like the sun misses the flowers in the depths of winter, instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world which your absence has banished me to.” — William Thatcher
28. “I can bear the distance but cannot imagine a life without you. For you I will go through the distance and the heartaches. You are my one and only.” — Montana Lee
29. “It’s not the distance that’s the enemy, but the endless time I have to wait until I hold you in my arms.” — Besski Levius
Cute Long Distance Relationship Quotes
If you want a quote with the cute factor, enjoy this sampling and share your favorites.
30. “Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in heart.” — Kay Knudsen
31. “I exist in two places, here and where you are.” — Margaret Atwood
32. “You’re too far for my hands to hold you, but too near for my heart to love you.” — Heraline
33. “Can miles truly separate? If you want to be with someone you love, aren’t you already there?” — Richard Bach
34. “Missing someone gets easier every day because even though you get one day further from the last time you saw them, you are one day closer to the next time you will see them.” — Mark Ebert
35. “If you listen to the wind very carefully, you’ll be able to hear me whisper my love for you.” — Andrew Davidson
36. “Some people can be so close to you even if physically far, they walk with you and stay near in every moment of your life.” — Senora Roy
37. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” — A.A. Milne
38. “I imagine a line, a white line, painted on the sand and on the ocean, from me to you.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
39. “I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart).” — E.E. Cummings
Long Distance Relationship Quotes that are Sad
Long distance quotes usually have an element of sadness to them, which is understandable, and you don’t have to pretend it doesn’t exist or doesn’t matter.
Sometimes you need to acknowledge it before you can allow it to make you stronger.
40. “Some of the toughest things in this world are to really want someone and not have them around you. Those are the times when you don’t know what to do. All you can do for is wait.” — Tamara Louis
41. “And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” — Khalil Gibran
42. “Our hours in love have wings; in absence, crutches.” — Miguel de Cervantes
43. “I miss you even more than I could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal.” — Vita Sackville-West
44. “As contraries are known by contraries, so is the delight of presence best known by the torments of absence.” — Alcibiades
45. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” — Gandhi
46. “Distance is temporary, but our love is permanent. This may be the last time I see you, but if you keep me in your heart, together we shall be eternal; if you believe, we shall never part.” — Ben Harper
47. “I’ll turn my back and walk away, away from the pain. Scream it loud, drown it out by the sound of the rain. Listen up, I’ve had enough all this waiting. I need you more right now than I ever did!” — Hawthorne Heights
48. “I love no one but you, I have discovered, but you are far away and I am here alone. Then this is my life and maybe, however unlikely, I’ll find my way back there. Or maybe, one day, I’ll settle for second best. And on that same day, hell will freeze over, the sun will burn out and the stars will fall from the sky.” — Lemony Snicket
49. “It feels good to think about you when I’m warm in bed. I feel as if you’re curled up there beside me, fast asleep. And I think how great it would be if it were true.” — Haruki Murakami
Funny Long Distance Relationship Quotes
Quotes about distance and love can be funny, too. Think of the following quotes as comic relief (however temporary) from the pain of your separation.
50. “The rules of long distance relationships should be the same as those posted at public pools: Walk, don’t run. And no diving in headfirst, even if the water looks deep enough.” — Lisa McKay
51. “When something is missing in your life, it usually turns out to be someone.” — Robert Brault.
52. “Does distance really matter? You love your favorite actor, drool for your favorite singer and await patiently for the next art from your favorite artist or writer. Why not the one you love?” — Jane Morsel
53. “They say long distance relationships will teach you to communicate well… We should be mind-readers by now.” — Lisa McKay
54. “Definition of a long distance relationship: Inconveniently the most effective way to find out if you really love each other.” — Unknown
55. “Want to learn how someone really handles frustration? Put them in a long distance relationship and give them a slow internet connection.” — Lisa McKay
What is your favorite long-distance relationship quote?
Whatever the reason you and the love of your life are far apart, there are ways to keep the relationship strong and healthy.
Like any relationship, it takes attention and work, but unlike many, you don’t have the simple pleasure of embracing your loved one and talking to them face to face.
I hope these quotes brighten your day by reminding you that you’re not alone or invisible and that there are things you can do to not only preserve but also strengthen the bond between you and the one you love.
May your resourcefulness and devotion influence everything you do today.