When you’re planning a fun get-together with friends, why not consider playing truth or dare?
It can be as challenging as it is fun, since every player has to either answer a probing question truthfully or do something silly or daring.
Embarrassment is definitely on the table.
But in this game, no one is alone in allowing themselves to be vulnerable.
And if a question goes too far for someone, there are always alternatives.
The point here is to have fun and to get to know each other better.
The best truth or dare questions are those that challenge each player without putting anyone in a compromising position.
How to Play Truth or Dare
The following rules apply to any truth or dare game:
1. The player whose turn it is decides to either answer a question (Truth) or perform a task of the questioner’s choosing (Dare).
2. If the person chooses “Truth” but refuses to answer the question truthfully, the consequence can be a dare or a task agreed upon by the group.
3. If the person chooses “Dare” but then refuses to perform the task, the consequence can be a challenging question. The player must answer it truthfully or receive a penalty the group agrees to.
4. If more than two are playing, you can either go around the circle or spin a bottle to select the next player.
5. Everyone should get a turn before the game ends.
77 Truth or Dare Questions
Good Truth or Dare Questions
For general truth or dare material, use any of the following questions. You can add others from different categories as you get a feel for everyone’s mood and preferences.
1. If you could be the opposite sex for a day, what would you do?
Dare: Do an imitation of someone you know of the opposite sex.
2. Which physical feature of yours do people compliment the most?
Dare: Sing a favorite song from your high school years.
3. With whom would you want to swap lives for a day, if you could?
Dare: Wear a colorful scarf of someone else’s choice for the whole day.
4. Describe a teachable moment you’ve had while shopping.
Dare: Offer to babysit or pet-sit for someone in the room.
5. What’s one thing that attracted you to your spouse or partner that you later found annoying?
Dare: Dance to a song the group selects.
6. What rumor have you repeated to someone else before learning it wasn’t true?
Dare: Tell something about yourself that no one in the room knows about you.
7. What’s the most disgusting or humiliating prank you’ve played on someone?
Dare: Drink a glass of milk mixed with orange juice or something acidic.
8. What’s the worst prank someone else has played on you?
Dare: Walk outside wearing your underpants over your pants.
9. What’s the dumbest dare you’ve ever taken?
Dare: Let someone else in the room give you a makeover.
10. What’s the first thing you would do if you woke up with your favorite superpower?
Dare: Run a lap outside wearing a bed sheet for a cape.
11. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Dare: Use your cosmetics (or someone else’s) to add a mustache and dramatic eyebrows to your face.
12. If someone in the room could be your slave for a day, whom would you want it to be?
Dare: Be the questioner’s slave for five minutes.
Dirty Truth or Dare Questions
Depending on the people in your group, these questions can get R-rated very quickly, but they don’t have to.
You can add some romance and even hint at shenanigans without getting raunchy and grossing people out. Keep it classy. Fun should be the #1 priority.
13. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever said to your partner when you were being romantic?
Dare: Sing a song that reminds you of your SO.
14. Have you ever made out on a first date — and with whom?
Dare: Give your hand the kind of kiss you’d give to someone you liked well enough to kiss on a first date.
15. What sexy Halloween costume would you wear if someone paid you $1,000?
Dare: Pretend someone in the group is someone you want to date and ask them out.
16. What’s the raciest thing you’ve ever worn in public?
Dare: Allow the others in the room to create a toilet paper negligee while you stand still.
17. Have you ever been tempted to cheat on your spouse or partner?
Dare: Allow the others in the room to each drop an ice cube down the back of your shirt and leave them in there until they melt.
18. What’s the most shocking thing you’ve thought of doing with someone you’re attracted to?
Dare: Let someone else in the group give you a “tattoo” with a washable marker.
19. Have you ever gone into an “adult toy” shop?
Dare: Call an adult toy store and ask if they have anything that would make a good stocking stuffer.
20. Have you ever bought lingerie for your significant other?
Dare: Allow someone else to choose an outfit for you to wear for the rest of the evening.
21. Have you ever given your lover a full body massage?
Dare: Give someone present a foot massage?
22. Name something romantic your beloved does for you.
Dare: Give everyone present a kiss on the cheek.
23. What parts of you get the most attention from your partner?
Dare: Dance seductively with a broom or mop.
24. Who was the first person you had sex with and how old were you?
Dare: Striptease for 30 seconds and take a shot or down a glass of wine for every article of clothing you’re still wearing.
25. Have you ever kissed someone or undressed them with your eyes without their knowing it? Who was it?
Dare: Allow someone to squirt whipped cream and/or chocolate sauce onto your hand for you to lick off.
Truth or Dare Questions Over Text
These will have to be shorter — to spare your fingers and to save time.
More than two can be involved (thank you, group texting). But since you’ll be playing the game from different locations, you won’t have the immediate, visible support of your teammates.
Remote dares can be also be more embarrassing. There’s no telling who might be watching (or even recording) when someone chooses “Dare” instead of “Truth.”
26. When was the last time you flossed?
Dare: Use the nearest reflective surface to check your teeth for cavities, bits of food, etc.
27. If you won the lottery, would you give anyone half of your winnings? Who would it be?
Dare: Buy a lottery ticket and tell the clerk you’d better win or they’ll never find your body.
28. Ever snuck a bite off someone else’s plate?
Dare: Eat a piece of dog or cat food.
29. Have you ever given someone the silent treatment for offending you?
Dare: Continuously talk for a full minute without stopping.
30. Have you ever fallen out of a tree you were climbing?
Dare: Give the tree closest to you a big hug.
31. What’s a song you love that you’d be too embarrassed to sing in front of others?
Dare: Rub your armpits and then smell your fingers.
32. What’s your favorite guilty pleasure?
Dare: Order some takeout and ask if they use the 10-second rule in their kitchen.
33. What’s the most woo-woo thing you’ve ever looked into?
Dare: Call a psychic and ask if they make house calls.
34. Has an animal ever pooped or peed on you?
Dare: Call a random number and sing “Happy Birthday” to whomever picks up.
35. Ever gotten an order back with something you’re allergic to?
Dare: Call a pizza place and ask if they use cruelty-free cheese.
36. How much do you tip your waiter in a restaurant?
Dare: Leave a $20 tip at the next coffee shop you visit.
37. Have you ever gone on a trip somewhere out of the blue?
Dare: Text your spouse with the words, “Off to find myself. Need me to pick up anything?”
38. Who was your first crush?
Dare: Write a message on a sticky note and post it on your forehead.
39. What was your worst childhood experience?
Dare: Record a voicemail message that says, “If you really want my attention, send me a text.”
More Related Articles:
Funny Truth or Dare Questions
Sometimes, you just want to get people laughing. It’s medicine, after all, and you want this get-together to be therapeutic — not traumatizing. So, enjoy these lighthearted questions and funny dares.
40. Do you regret the way you voted in the last election?
Dare: Do your best impression of the president.
41. What ability do you envy in someone else in the group?
Dare: Sing everything you say for the next hour.
42. What’s the most ridiculous thing you’ve ever done to get revenge on someone else?
Dare: Eat a teaspoon of hot mustard or horseradish (by itself).
43. What Disney character do you think the person to your left most closely resembles?
Dare: Wear a finger mustache for the next ten minutes.
44. Which person in the room has the smelliest feet?
Dare: Bark and pant like a dog and let everyone pet you for the next five minutes.
45. What’s the most ridiculous insult you’ve used on someone else?
Dare: Let someone write a word on your forehead in washable ink.
46. Have you ever eaten your pet’s food just to see how it tastes?
Dare: Say, “Well, actually” at the beginning of everything you say for the next hour.
47. Has anyone said you make strange noises while you eat or drink?
Dare: Make your own sound effects every time someone else in the room is eating or drinking.
48. Has anyone ever called you out for copying them?
Dare: Do an impression of someone you all know and give a dollar to the one who guesses correctly.
49. If you could only use one swear word for the rest of your life, which would it be?
Dare: Let someone else apply lipstick to your mouth and blush to your cheeks.
50. Have you ever farted and then tried to pass the blame onto someone else?
Dare: Remove the socks of the person next to you with your teeth.
51. What is the worst place you get itchy?
Dare: Do noisy pushups until it’s your turn again.
52. Can your husband or wife sing? Or would you pay them NOT to do karaoke?
Dare: Draw a self portrait while blindfolded.
53. What’s the most painful thing you’ve ever stepped on by accident?
Dare: Dump a bunch of Legos on the floor and walk on them in your bare feet.
Embarrassing Truth of Dare Questions
These questions are sure to dial up the embarrassment. They will challenge your target to reveal something that could change the way you feel about them.
If the truth would hurt too much, there are plenty of embarrassing dares to fall back on.
54. Describe the most embarrassing experience you can remember.
Dare: Put a pair of underwear around your ankles, and walk around the room three times.
55. Among all the people in this room, which one would you date?
Dare: Ask someone in the room to dance while you sing a song or beatbox a rhythm.
56. Ever fallen for someone other than the one you were dating at the time?
Dare: Play the air guitar to your favorite rock and roll song.
57. Have you ever peed in a pool (on purpose)?
Dare: Sing a made-up song about something or someone on your left.
58. Who in the room is dating someone who’s not a good fit for them?
Dare: Leave a dot of lotion on your nose or on each of the lenses of your glasses for an hour.
59. Have you ever lied to get out of doing something you didn’t want to do?
Dare: Tell two truths and a lie.
60. What’s the strangest thing that has come to mind when someone else was pouring their heart out to you?
Dare: Yell out the first word that comes to mind.
61. Have you ever shared an embarrassing photo of someone else?
Dare: Post an embarrassing picture of yourself online.
62. When was the last time you peed your pants?
Dare: Post a video of yourself singing your own version of “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music.
63. When was the last time you pretended not to hear someone — and why?
Dare: Use the driveway as a catwalk for five minutes, giving the model wave to anyone who passes by.
64. Do you ever pick your nose when no one is looking?
Dare: Do the Hokey-Pokey without singing it.
65. Have you ever cried while watching a movie in a theater?
Dare: Respond to other people’s sentences with “That excites me” for ten minutes.
66. Have you ever asked someone else to kill a bug for you?
Dare: Speak in rhymes for the rest of the game.
Truth or Dare Questions for Kids
Kids can enjoy this game, too. And there are plenty of age-appropriate questions and dares you can use to get a party going.
67. How much stuff do you keep under your bed?
Dare: Smell the feet of the other players.
68.Have you ever cheated on a test?
Dare: Do the chicken dance for a full minute.
69. How many times have you snuck ice cream or other treats from your kitchen?
Dare: Eat a whole clove of garlic or spoonful of minced garlic.
70. When did you last change your underwear?
Dare: Eat a hot pepper or a spoonful of hot sauce.
71. Have you already had your first kiss – and with whom?
Dare: Stack five cookies or crackers on your head and walk across the room.
72. Have you ever had a crush on one of your teachers — and which one?
Dare: Put all your clothes on inside out and backwards.
73. When was the last time you helped out with household chores without getting paid for it?
Dare: Smell everyone’s breath and guess what they ate recently.;
74. Have you ever stolen something from school?
Dare: Squirt whipped cream into your mouth and sing the ABCs.
75. Do you have a crush on a famous person — and which one?
Dare: Let someone in the group style your hair using hair gel or styling glue.
76. Are you ever afraid of the dark?
Dare: Spin yourself around ten times and then stand on one foot for a minute.
77. Have you ever written embarrassing secrets in a diary?
Dare: Take a bite out of a stick of butter.
Ready to Play Truth or Dare?
The truth or dare game has been around for decades, and it’s likely to stick around for decades more. The point of this post is to make it easy and fun to get started with it or to reacquaint yourself with the game.
The more you play the game, the better you know the people you’re playing it with. More questions and dares will come to mind to make the game even better suited to you and your friends.
As for penalty tasks, it’s best to decide these unanimously before you start the game.
Whether your theme is quirky, fun, or something more adult, make sure everyone is on board and comfortable with the subject matter. You don’t want anyone to feel singled out or excluded.
Again, the point here is to have fun and to get to know each other better. So, ask away and put some of your inhibitions on hold for an hour or two.