31 Good Mottos to Live By for a Stellar Life
What is your motto in life?
Maybe you keep a few quotes handy that serve as good mottos to live by, but you haven’t really identified any one of them as a motto you personally identify with.
If you’re thinking, “Yep, that’s me,” why not consider the sampling of life mottos in this article and choose o to create one that speaks to you and motivates you — more than the others — to take action?
What do you have to lose — other than those moments of paralysis and indecision that go with not remembering the kind of person you want to be?
When the stakes are high, you want to be able to make the right decisions. You want your words and actions to agree with each other. You want to become more and more the best possible version of yourself.
A great life motto can help with that.
How you may ask?
Read on. And get ready to choose a motto that will help you get close to your purpose and accelerate your growth in that direction.
What is a Motto?
A motto uses few words to express — and remind you of — the person you want to be.
The best mottos have deep personal significance because they highlight the virtues or characteristics most important to you. And in so doing, they help you make the best decisions when you’re faced with difficult choices.
By repeating a meaningful personal motto every morning and at night before you go to sleep, you make it easier to remember the words you need to hear when you most need inspiration.
You can also write your motto on a bathroom mirror, on your kitchen or home office window or somewhere you’ll see it every day.
How Mottos Benefit You
Consider the ways an effective personal motto can make your life better than ever:
- It reminds you of the person you want to be.
- It reminds you of the qualities you want to develop or strengthen in yourself.
- It helps you set goals – and the right kinds of goals.
- It helps you pursue and make steady progress toward those goals.
- It helps you make difficult decisions.
- It helps you navigate your life when you reach a turning point
An effective life motto serves as a blueprint in miniature for your continued progress as a person. Not only can it help you choose the right path and stay on it, but it can also strengthen your sense of connection with others, no matter how much their paths might differ from yours.
A good life motto reveals an important truth about the one who chooses it, and it serves as a compass for present and future decisions — even when the only decision to make is whether to get back up and take another step forward.
31 Mottos to Live By
The following examples of mottos give you a broad sampling of meaningful phrases, some of which will be more motivating to you than others.
Some are popular mottos that have been with us for decades, if not centuries. Some have even been around for millennia.
All are good life mottos to live by. As you read through them, ask yourself how you want your personal life motto to make you feel — stronger, more confident, unshakeable, creative, more powerful?
Use the following list of mottos to find some that make you feel more like yourself at your best.
Personal Mottos To Live By
Consider 1 of the 17 from this personal mottos list to focus on this week:
1. There’s magic on the other side of fear.
2. I am strong, I am confident, and I am unstoppable.
4. Act or accept.
5. Progress, not perfection.
7. Take another step.
8. Your pain today will be your strength tomorrow.
9. Do all the good you can.
10. Go to bed with dreams; wake up with a purpose.
11. One thing at a time.
12. Attitudes are contagious; make yours worth catching.
Related: 46 Motivation Monday Quotes
13. Greatness is measured by courage and heart.
14. Opportunities don’t happen. You create them. — Chris Grosser
15. I am enough / You are enough.
16. I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. — Groucho Marx
17. Have courage and be kind. — Kyle Boureston
Famous Mottos To Live By
Check out these 9 famous mottos in life:
These have been around for a good long while. If you’re looking for a life motto your ancestors from another century might have adopted, consider one of the following.
18. Seize the day (or Carpe Diem)
19. Do no harm. — Hippocratic oath.
20. It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. — Chinese proverb
21. We must become the change we wish to see in the world. — Mohandas (Mahatma) Ghandi
22. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. – Helen Keller
23. Vision without action is a daydream. — Japanese proverb
24. We are what we repeatedly do. — Aristotle
25. If you’re going through hell, keep going. — Winston Churchill
26. If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with others. — African proverb
27. Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none. – William Shakespeare
Funny Mottos To Live By
Enjoy these short funny mottos that will make you laugh when you most need it:
Your personal motto doesn’t have to be serious. Try one of these if you’d like a life motto with a sense of humor.
28. When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football. — Anonymous
29. When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra. — Will Rogers.
30. The face you’re born with is the one God gave you. Your face at 50 is the one you gave yourself. — Mrs. Toms
31. If you keep your feet firmly on the ground, you’ll have trouble putting on your pants.
How to Write Your Life Motto
To write your own life motto, you really only need to remember two things:
- Write a short life motto.
- Choose a motto that motivates you to take action.
You’ll also want to consider how you can make it easy to remember your motto throughout the day — where you can write it, when you’ll say it out loud, and whether you’ll use a smartphone app to remind you of it.
You can also test-drive a motto for a while, and it it’s not really helping you as much as you hoped, spend some time with another one that feels more motivating to you.
Don’t feel that you have to pick the right motto right now and stick with it for the rest of your life. As you grow, you’ll find that a cool motto that once served you well just doesn’t say what you most need to hear any more. So, don’t be afraid to change it up.
The important thing here is to adopt a meaningful motto and see what it can do for you. For many people, just having the phrase, “I am enough” written on their bathroom mirror has made a life-changing difference.
Others feel more drawn to mottos like “Throw me to the wolves, and I’ll return leading the pack.”
Choose the motto that makes you feel like the strongest and most amazing version of yourself.
Has this helped you?
Have we helped you find or create a powerful life motto for yourself? If so, would you please pass this on to help others do the same?
There’s no telling whom or how many you’ll help with the content you share.
We hope this article made your day better and lit a fire in you to choose a motto that will brighten up your present moment as well as the moments that come.
And may your wisdom and thoughtfulness influence everything else you do today.