Growing up, you can probably remember some things you said to your mom that you wish you could erase from both your memories.
You were angry, and the words came out before you could stop them.
One look at your mother’s face, and the regret washed over you.
We’re betting you’ll find something familiar in this collection of hurting mom quotes.
What you take from them will depend on your own experiences.
And if you’re a mother, now, you’ll see them from both sides.
36 Never Hurt Your Mother Quotes
Whether you see the following as quotes about a son hurting his mother or as a collection of when a daughter hurts her mother quotes, you’ll find something relatable in many of them.
Read through the list carefully, and make a note of the ones that stand out.
1. “Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.” -William Makepeace Thackeray
2. “Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes, by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world.” -Kate Douglas Wiggin
3. “Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs… since the payment is pure love.” -Mildred B. Vermont
5. “I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.” – Abraham Lincoln
6. “Love as powerful as your mother’s for you leaves its own mark. To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” – J.K. Rowling
7. “You were my home, Mother. I had no home but you.” – Janet Fitch
9. “A mother’s love does not set with the sun. It blankets you all through the night.” — Amy Hoover
10. “Don’t use the sharpness of your tongue on the mother who taught you to speak.” — Ali Ibn Abi Talib
11. “We are born of love; Love is our Mother.”– Rumi
12. “Only mothers can think of the future because they give birth to it in their children.” — Maxim Gorky
13. “Never hurt your mother. Nothing is more painful than seeing tears in her eyes.” — Pushvam
14. “A mother is the truest friend we have when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us, when adversity takes the place of prosperity.” — Washington Irving
15. “Sooner or later we all quote our mothers.” — Bern Williams
16. “Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.” — George Eliot
17. “A mother understands what a child does not say.” — Jewish Proverb
18. “A mother is a shooting star who passes through your life only once. Love her because when her light goes out you will never see her again.” — Unknown
20. “Mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled.” — Emily Dickinson
21. “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” — Cynthia Ozick
22. “Don’t get involved with anyone who doesn’t respect his mother.” — Mia Farrow
More Related Articles
23. “Hurting someone who really loves you is as easy as throwing a stone in a lake; but you never really know how deep the stone goes once it hits the water. Take care to remember that each stone thrown could be a ripple of hurt or a tidal wave of devastation.” — Stacey Miller
24. “Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart.” — Mother Teresa
25. “Sometimes we don’t appreciate the heavy sacrifices our parents are making for us until we become parents.” — Terry Mark
26. “How sinful are those youth who speak gently with their friends while they shout out at their mothers.” — Unknown
28. “Never hurt your mother because she is the only one who is with you in your difficulties.” — Ankith MS
29. “Nourish your aged parents; revere them.” — Sri Sathya Sai Baba
30. “If you disrespect your parents, remember! You deserve nothing.” — Keval Karia
31. “A father’s goodness is higher than the mountain, a mother’s goodness deeper than the sea.” — Japanese Proverb
32. “No matter how far we come, our parents are always in us.” –Brad Meltzer
33. “The loss of your mother, no matter how old you are, changes your life forever. Your mother is your first and forever friend. You never really get over the loss, but you learn to live with it. She is never far away from your thoughts, and she is always in your heart.” — from Relationship Rules
34. “A parent’s love is whole no matter how many times divided.” — Robert Brault
36. “When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find.” — Mitch Album
Now that you’ve looked through all 35 quotes about hurting mothers, which ones struck you as most familiar? Which could you have written yourself?
Your relationship with your mother wasn’t perfect, but it didn’t have to be. If she was there, and she loved you, that’s more than a lot of people have. It’s precious beyond words.
So, what will you do today to show your mother some extra love? And what will you do for yourself?