Good friends are hard to come by, and it can be even more difficult to maintain close relationships when life is so busy and chaotic.
That’s why it’s so valuable to maintain your friendships by sending them thank you quotes and sayings.
You’re fortunate to have friends willing to nurture the relationship and be there for you when you need help.
Let them know how grateful you feel with thank you words of appreciation.
But have you ever felt a bit lost trying to find the right words to show your gratitude to this kind of tried and true friend?.
If you can’t quite seem to find the words to express how you feel, turn to the collective wisdom of thought leaders, authors, experts and regular people who have crafted quotations of thanks that are impactful enough to be passed on.
This collection will inspire you with the right words to communicate how you feel and to express the right amount of gratitude to your friends without sounding trite or cheesy.
The Benefits of Reading and Sharing Thank You for Friendship Quotes
Life is beautiful, messy, complicated, and everything in between. And the best we humans can do is try our hardest.
But it can be scary out here, and we don’t always hit our marks.
Thankfully, friends make the experience bearable. They bring us joy and are often the much-needed shoulder that welcomes tears. Without them, we’d be lost.
And yet, we regularly forget to tell our friends how special they are.
But validation is a vital form of positive relational feedback, making it one of the most supportive things we can do for our friends’ well-being. In other words, sharing and sending friendship quotes to your friends:
- Decreases their stress levels
- Increases their self-esteem
- Helps them feel secure
- Diminishes social anxiety
But don’t focus only on your friends and forget to use these quotes to benefit yourself. Reading and contemplating these friendship quotes can:
- Stoke feelings of gratitude for your friends
- Give you a moment of respite from stress and distractions
- Inspire you to be a better friend
- Motivate you to develop new friendships
107 of the Best Thank You Quotes for Friends:
Famous Thank You Quotes
1. Let us be grateful to people who make us happy. They are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. -Marcel Proust
2. Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The friends who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand. -Karl Menninger
3. If ever there is a tomorrow when we’re not together, there is something you must always remember: you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. -Winnie The Pooh
4. In the end though maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end maybe it’s wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you forever and sincerely for as long as we have voices. -Elizabeth Gilbert
5. Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’ -C.S. Lewis
6. A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. -William Shakespeare
7. A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. -Walter Winchell
8. True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable. -David Tyson
9. A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same. –Elbert Hubbard
Read Related: 33 Time-Tested Ways To Find The Key To Happiness
10. My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me. -Henry Ford
11. Friendship is a word, the very sight of which in print makes heart warm. -Augustine Birrell
12. A friend is someone who makes it easy to believe in yourself. – Heidi Wills
13. Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. –Aristotle
14. If you have one true friend you have more than your share. –Thomas Fuller
15. There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met. -Jim Henson
16. True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable. -David Tyson
17. One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives. –Euripides
18. True friendship can afford true knowledge. It does not depend on darkness and ignorance. –Henry David Thoreau
19. A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success! –Doug Larson
20. A friend is an emotional bond, just like friendship is a human experience. –Simon Sinek
21. A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out. -Walter Winchell
22. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life. -Amy Poehler
23. The language of friendship is not words but meanings. –Henry David Thoreau
24. The great thing about new friends is that they bring new energy to your soul. –Shanna Rodriguez
25. Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend. –Bill Watterson
26. Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything. -Muhammad Ali
27. I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light. -Helen Keller
28. Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation. – George Washington
29. The real test of friendship is: can you literally do nothing with the other person? Can you enjoy those moments of life that are utterly simple? –Eugene Kennedy
30. Of all possessions a friend is the most precious. –Herodotus
31. Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes. -Henry David Thoreau
32. Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that. -Ally Condie
33. Friendship consists in forgetting what one gives and remembering what one receives. -Alexander Dumas
Thank You Quotes and Sayings
34. I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better. -Plutarch
35. Friendship is the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words. -George Eliot
36. My definition of a friend is somebody who adores you even though they know the things you’re most ashamed of. -Jodie Foster
37. Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends. -Virginia Woolf
38. Friendship is a pretty full-time occupation if you really are friendly with somebody. You can’t have too many friends because then you’re just not really friends. -Truman Capote
39. Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over. -Octavia Butler
40. Let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit. -Kahlil Gibran
41. Friendship is a wildly underrated medication. –Anna Deavere Smith
42. A friend is one of the nicest things you can have and one of the best things you can be. -Winnie The Pooh
43. Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. -Eleanor Roosevelt
44. You find out who your real friends are when you’re involved in a scandal. -Elizabeth Taylor
45. A man’s friendships are one of the best measures of his worth. -Charles Darwin
46. A good friend is like a four-leaf clover; hard to find and lucky to have. -Irish Proverb
47. When the world is so complicated, the simple gift of friendship is within all of our hands. -Maria Shriver
48. Friendship is a sheltering tree. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge
49. Friendship isn’t about who you’ve known the longest, it’s about who walked in to your life, said ‘I’m here for you,’ and proved it. -Unknown
50. Friendship is a strong and habitual inclination in two persons to promote the good and happiness of one another. -Eustace Budgell
51. Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity. -Khalil Gibran
52. There are no rules for friendship. It must be left to itself. We cannot force it any more than love. -William Hazlitt
53. Friendship is something that creates equality and mutuality, not a reward for finding equality or a way of intensifying existing mutuality. -Rowan Williams
54. A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. -Jim Morrison
55. A friend is one who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in yourself. -Unknown
56. A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. -Elbert Hubbard
57. Sitting silently beside a friend who is hurting may be the best gift we can give. -Unknown
58. Friends show their love in times of trouble, not in happiness. -Euripides
59. Friends are medicine for a wounded heart and vitamins for a hopeful soul. -Steve Maraboli
True Friendship Quotes
60. The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this? -Henry David Thoreau
61. A friend is one before whom I may think aloud. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
62. Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing. -Elie Wiesel
63. Of all the things which wisdom provides to make us entirely happy, much the greatest is the possession of friendship. -Epicurus
64. A true friend is someone who is there for you when he’d rather be anywhere else. -Len Wein
65. I have learned that to be with those I like is enough. -Walt Whitman
66. Be slow to fall into friendship, but when thou art in, continue firm and constant. -Socrates
67. We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone. -Orson Welles
68. Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious. -Thomas Aquinas
69. Friendship multiplies the good of life and divides the evil. -Baltasar Gracian
70. I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
71. A friend is one soul abiding in two bodies. -Aristotle
72. All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand. -Ella Wheeler Wilcox
73. Everyone has a friend during each stage of life. But only lucky ones have the same friend in all stages of life. -Unknown
74. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing… not healing, not curing… that is a friend who cares. -Henri Nouwen
75. F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Fight for you. Respect you. Include you. Encourage you. Need you. Deserve you. Stand by you. -Unknown
76. The ideal friendship is to feel as one while remaining two. -Sophie Swetchine
77. No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. -Charles Dickens
78. One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention. -Clifton Fadiman
79. As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen. -Winnie The Pooh
80. Friends… they cherish one another’s hopes. They are kind to one another’s dreams. -Henry David Thoreau
81. Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival. -C.S. Lewis
82. Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. -Anais Nin
83. One friend in a storm is worth more than a thousand friends in sunshine. -Matshona Dhliwayo
84. The rule of friendship means there should be mutual sympathy between them, each supplying what the other lacks and trying to benefit the other, always using friendly and sincere words. -Cicero
85. There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature. -Jane Austen
86. Perhaps the most delightful friendships are those in which there is much agreement, much disputation, and yet more personal liking. -George Eliot
87. Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief.” –Cicero
88. Friends are the siblings God never gave us. -Mencius
89. That’s when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you – the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you – because that is what people are supposed to do. -Unknown
90. Real friendship is when your friend comes over to your house and then you both just take a nap. -Unknown
91. One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. -Seneca
92. The most ordinary things could be made extraordinary, simply by doing them with the right people. -Nicholas Sparks
93. Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one. -Oscar Wilde
94. A true friend is someone who sees the pain in your eyes while everyone else believes the smile on your face. -Unknown
95. It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter. -Marlene Dietrich
96. A quarrel between friends, when made up, adds a new tie to friendship. -Saint Francis de Sales
97. There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate. -Linda Grayson
98. Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down. -Oprah Winfrey
99. If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever. -Winnie The Pooh
Thank You Quotes for Friends for Birthday Wishes
100. Celebrate your birthday today. Celebrate being happy every day. -Unknown
101. Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. – Ausonius
102. Happy birthday, friend. May your day be as beautiful as you. – Unknown
103. You have been there for me no matter what. I love you, my dear friend, and I am so excited to share your special day with you. Your birthday is going to be truly special. – Unknown
104. Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been. – Mark Twain
105. Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you! – Dr. Seuss
106. Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed. – Charles Schulz
107. Just remember, once you’re over the hill you begin to pick up speed. – Charles Schulz
How will you use these quotes about being thankful for someone?
Now that you have this list of thank you quotes for friends, how do you plan to use them? There are so many ways you can share these words of gratitude with the friends who mean so much to you.
- Send an appreciation quote to your friend by text.
- Leave inspirational thank you quotes on your friends’ car or in their mailboxes.
- Have a mug printed with your favorite cute thank you quotes for friends.
- Send out old-fashioned letters with funny thank you quotes for friends to brighten their day.
It just takes a few minutes of writing or texting to make someone’s day and let them know you are thinking of them.
If your friends mean the world to you, don’t neglect to let them know. Because that’s what friends do.