You’re new to speed dating, and you’re not exactly sure of the right questions to ask.
Sure, you have some ideas, but once you’re in front of your date, your mind goes blank.
And before you know it, you’re talking to someone else.
Welcome to our list of 111 speed date questions, including some examples of questions you should definitely avoid.
Because you need to know that, too.
Look through your options, and choose the questions that interest you most. And be ready to answer them yourself.
111 Speed Dating Questions
To make it easier to find those that interest you most, these speed dating starter questions are divided into groups, based on different situations and approaches.
Best Speed Dating Questions
You both want to cut to the chase to find out whether there’s any point in meeting up later for a longer date. So, try these “hot seat” questions to get the intel you need in record time.
1. Do you pay attention to politics? Are you outspoken with your political beliefs?
2. Are you a religious person? Would you prefer someone of the same faith?
3. Where do you live? Where are you from? What brought you here?
4. Tell me about one thing on your bucket list. Why is it there?
5. What’s your biggest fear? What are you doing to face it?
6. What would you say has been your biggest struggle up to this point?
7. What’s your dream job? What are you doing to go after it?
8. What are you passionate about, and how do you express that passion?
9. Describe your perfect holiday: food, decorations, people, etc.
10. What did you learn from your last relationship? What went wrong?
11. What do you do for work, and do you enjoy it? Would you like to change it?
12. What do you like to do on the weekends? What helps you de-stress?
13. How often do you spend time with friends? What do you do together?
14. Whom are you closest to in your family? What have you been through together?
15. What are your goals with speed dating?
16. Do you have any kids? What are their names, and where are they now?
17. Do you have pets? What are they, and what are their names?
18. Do you prefer country or city life, and why?
19. What are your views on feminism? How would you define it?
20. What are your three best qualities? When are you most proud of yourself?
Speed Dating Questions, Funny
Humor can make the speed dating experience more fun for both of you, but you also want to learn as much about each other (and how your minds work) as possible.
21. Which animal do you identify with most and why? What do you have in common?
22. What’s the last music CD you remember buying? Did you dance to it?
23. What’s the best thing about being single? The worst thing?
24. Which animated character would you go on a date with, and why?
25. What embarrassing thing happened to you recently? Spare no detail.
26. How often do you shop online to avoid people?
27. Do you ever get drunk and start monologuing in the bathroom?
28. Have you ever done something ridiculous on a dare? If yes, do tell!
29. Have you ever performed in public? If so, would you give a demonstration?
30. If you had to either sing karaoke or dance in public, which would you choose?
31. How do your friends describe you in a word — when they’re angry with you?
32. When was the last time you did something embarrassing just to feel alive?
33. When was the last time you laughed inappropriately?
34. What is your first thought when you hear someone say, “Not here!”
35. If you could go back in time, what wardrobe malfunction would you prevent — or cause?
Speed Dating Questions, Icebreaker
Sometimes you just want a question that doesn’t go too deep but that helps get the conversation started.
36. Are you an early riser or a night owl? Have you tried to be the other thing?
37. What book/s are you reading right now? Would you recommend them?
38. What’s the last movie you saw, and what did you think of it?
39. How did you celebrate your last birthday? Was there cake?
40. If you could have any superpower, what would you choose, and why?
41. What do you think are your best attributes?
42. What do you think is the most underpaid profession (or one of them)?
43. Would you describe yourself as an introvert, an extrovert, or an ambivert?
44. Would you rather get text messages or phone calls most of the time?
45. Are you more of a cat person or a dog person? Or do you love both?
46. If you drink, do you prefer beer, wine, or spirits? Favorite cocktail?
47. Do you spend more time indoors or outdoors? Would you like to change that?
48. Would you rather drive or let someone else drive and just enjoy the scenery?
49. Would you ever put a political bumper sticker on your car? Why or why not?
50. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go?
51. What are your plans for the rest of the day? Something to look forward to?
52. What’s something good that happened to you to day — besides meeting me?
53. What’s your favorite go-to snack? What’s your favorite drink?
54. What are your favorite book genres to read? Favorite authors?
55. What do you absolutely love about living here? What do you not love so much?
56. What’s your favorite social media channel and why do you use it?
57. How long have you been speed dating? What made you give it a try?
58. Which movie can you watch again and again? When do you watch it most?
59. If you had to live somewhere for the rest of your life, where would it be?
60. What languages do you speak? Are you learning any new ones?
61. What is your favorite season, and why? What do you love most about it?
More Related Articles:
Stupid Speed Dating Questions
This list would not be complete without some examples of the kinds of questions best left unasked. They’re also here for entertainment value. Ever been asked one of these?
62. How often do you brush your teeth? Do you floss regularly?
63. How often do you tidy up your living space? Would it pass a white glove inspection?
64. When was the last time you changed your underwear? (And what kind is it?)
65. When was the last time you showered? (Not gonna lie, I have some idea.)
66. Would you say most people find you attractive? Anything to back that up?
67. Have you ever had your IQ tested? According to this quiz….
68. Are you a U.S. citizen — or are you here, you know, legally?
69. Are there any family health issues you could pass on to your children?
70. How many dates, on average, do you go on before you….?
71. How much debt are you in right now, and how’d you get there?
72. How long did it take you to pick out that outfit? (Can I make a suggestion….?)
73. Would you describe yourself as “needy” or “high maintenance”?
74. Are your parents hot or just, you know… normal-looking?
75. Do you have any disgusting habits I should know about?
Speed Dating Questions for Students
Whether you’re both college students or only one of you is, you’ll learn plenty by asking (and answering) these questions.
76. What are your favorite classes right now? What do you love about them?
77. What do you love about your chosen major?
78. What do you plan to do right after you graduate? How will you celebrate?
79. Are you actively involved in any political groups on campus?
80. What (if any) music do you listen to when you study? With or without headphones?
81. If you could finish your degree in any other country, where would you go?
82. Do you ever go to on-campus parties? What do you like or not like about them?
83. What’s the latest you’ve stayed up working on something for one of your classes?
84. If I showed up with take-out to help you study, what take-out would you hope for?
85. Do you usually dress up for class or keep it casual? Is there a dress code?
86. How do you stay on top of your workload? Is this the busiest you’ve ever been?
87. What made you choose the career path you’re on?
88. What do you love most about your college? What led you to choose it?
89. Do you have any favorite professors? What makes them a favorite?
90. How well do you get along with your roommate, if you have one?
91. What do you and your roommate or classmates do to relax?
92. How often do you get to see your family? What do you love to do with them?
93. Do you participate in any college sports? Or do you attend any college games?
94. Are you a member of a fraternity / sorority? What do you like or dislike about it?
95. Do you celebrate your birthday during the school year? How do you celebrate it?
Fun Speed Dating Questions
This is, after all, the point of speed-dating: to have more fun meeting new people. So, make time for some fun, lighthearted questions.
96. What do you do for fun? When you need to recharge, what do you do?
97. What’s your idea of the perfect date? Describe it to me from beginning to end.
98. What’s your favorite fast food item, and where do you usually get it?
99. What’s your favorite dessert? Is this something you usually make yourself or buy?
100. If you won the lottery, what would you do first? How many would you tell?
101. What’s your favorite Disney movie? What do you love about it?
102. Would you rather perform on a Broadway stage or win an Olympic gold medal?
103. If you could jump into the world of any novel you’ve read, which would it be?
104. What famous person would you love to have dinner with?
105. Of all the people you’ve met, whom do you admire the most?
106. What’s your favorite kind of food to make? When do you make it?
107. What’s your favorite splurge meal at a restaurant? Where?
108. Have you ever met a famous person, and what do you remember most?
109. Where would you like to go on your next vacation? How would you get there?
110. What is your favorite smell? What does it remind you of?
111. Do you believe in science or magic — or both?
Are you prepared with your top speed dating questions?
Armed with these speed dating questions, you’re in a better position to make the most of the experience. Thoughtful preparation goes a long way.
Having chosen the questions that matter to you most, you’ll get more of the answers you need. And you’re both more likely to enjoy it.
Not everyone will want to ask soul-deep questions on your first encounter. But some will, in the interest of learning the same about you.
Whatever happens, be kind, respect your date’s boundaries, and be prepared to show your true self.
Don’t be surprised if one of your speed dates turns into something more.