99 Sister Quotes That Perfectly Describe Your Bond
Looking for some meaningful sister quotes for upcoming holidays and birthdays — or just to brighten a loved one’s day? We’ve curated 99 of the best sister quotes to help you find just the right ones to share.
And there are so many ways to share them:
- Create a Mother’s Day card for your sister, adding a favorite sisters quote.
- Create and share a social media graphic with a favorite sister quote and share it on a social media channel you both use, tagging your sister to make sure she sees it.
- Have a mug made with a favorite quote and fill it with a favorite treat for your sister’s birthday, for Mother’s Day, or just because.
- Create a calendar with a family photograph and a favorite sister quote for each month of the year..
- Create and send a postcard with a favorite quote superimposed on a favorite family photograph or a picture of a place you’ve both visited (you can easily create these on Canva).
Prepare to write down (or copy and paste) some of the quotes listed below for your private stash of sister gift ideas.
99 Sister Quotes That Perfectly Describe Your Bond
Whether you’re looking for long or short sister quotes, you’ll find something in this list that will capture and celebrate the essence of the relationship between you and your sister.
Quotes about Sisters
These sisters quotes explore the dynamic between sisters and the beauty of this relationship at its best.
1. “Sister. She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child.” ― Barbara Alpert
2. “A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life.” ― Isadora James
3. “A sister is both your mirror and your opposite.” ― Elizabeth Fishel
4. “Back in time it seemed that having a sister were a tragedy. Instead it is one of the best presents my parents could have ever given me.” ― Sara Anzellotti
5. “When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us?” ― Pam Brown
6. “A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost.” ― Marion C. Garretty
7. “The ones that stay with you through everything – they’re your true best friends. Don’t let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world.” ― Marilyn Monroe
8. “One’s sister is part of one’s essential self, an eternal presence of one’s heart, soul and memory.” ― Susan Cabil
9. “Sisters don’t need words. They have perfected a language of snarls and smiles and frowns and winks – expressions of shocked surprise and incredulity and disbelief. Sniffs and snorts and gasps and sighs – that can undermine any tale you're telling. Sisters annoy, interfere, criticize. Indulge in monumental sulks, in huffs, in snide remarks. Borrow. Break. Monopolize the bathroom. Are always underfoot. But if catastrophe should strike, sisters are there. Defending you against all comers.” ― Pam Brown
10. “There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me.” ― Mary Montagu
11. “Sisters touch your heart in ways no other could. Sisters share… their hopes, their fears, their love, everything they have.” ― Carrie Bagwell
12. “You keep your past by having sisters. As you get older, they’re the only ones who don’t get bored if you talk about your memories.” ― Deborah Moggach
13. “Only a sister knows how you really felt when you stumbled and when you succeeded, when you fell from grace and when you were forsaken, when you reached your lowest valley and when you climbed your highest mountain.” ― Colleen Sell
14. “For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands.”
― Christina Rossetti
Brother and Sister Quotes
If you’re a brother, the following quotes for your sister are perfect for sharing on special occasions or just to let her know you’re thinking of her.
15. “Those are the same stars, and that is the same moon, that look down upon your brothers and sisters, and which they see as they look up to them, though they are ever so far away from us, and each other.” ― Sojourner Truth
16. “I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see, I sought my god, but my god eluded me; And then I sought my sisters and my brothers, and in them I found all three.” ― Baba Amte
17. “Sibling relationships outlast marriages, survive the death of parents, resurface after quarrels that would sink any friendship. They flourish in a thousand incarnations of closeness and distance, warmth, loyalty and distrust.” ― Erica E. Goode
18. “Sister, we don't know what the future holds but we always know we are there for each other.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
19. “Our brothers and sisters are there with us from the dawn of our personal stories to the inevitable dusk.” ― Susan Scarf Merrell
20. “Siblings are the people we practice on, the people who teach us about fairness and cooperation and kindness and caring – quite often the hard way.” ― Pamela Dugdale
21. “From the time we’re born, our brothers and sisters are our collaborators and co-conspirators, our role models and our cautionary tales. They are our scolds, protectors, goads, tormentors, playmates, counselors, sources of envy, objects of pride.” ― Jeffrey Kluger
22. “A sibling may be the keeper of one’s identity, the only person with the keys to one’s unfettered, more fundamental self.” ― Marian Sandmaier
23. “I see a brother and sister, sitting over there together, fighting over a toy, they just can’t seem to see, their love shining through, with every smile that they bring.” ― Valerie Dupont
24. “Brother and sister, together as friends, ready to face whatever life sends. Joy and laughter or tears and strife, holding hands tightly as we dance through life.” ― Suzie Huitt
25. “To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time.” ― Clara Ortega
26. “Sisters and brothers just happen, we don’t get to choose them, but they become one of our most cherished relationships.” ― Wes Adamson
27. “Do you know what friendship is… it is to be brother and sister; two souls which touch without mingling, two fingers on one hand.” ― Victor Hugo
28. “Sisters and brothers are the truest, purest forms of love, family and friendship, knowing when to hold you and when to challenge you, but always being a part of you.” ― Carol Ann Albright-Eastman
Sister Birthday Quotes
Share any of the following quotes with your sister on her birthday to let her know how much your relationship means to you — even if you have to live far apart.
29. “Even though I can’t solve your problems, I will be there as your sound board whenever you need me.” ― Sandra K. Lamberson
30. “A perfect sister I am not, but thankful for the one I’ve got.” ― Unknown
31. “You’re not my best friend. You’re my sister, and that’s more.” ― Jenny Han
32. “I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.” ― Maya Angelou
33. “Happy or sad, a sister’s love does show, as each year it continues to grow.” ― Unknown
Would you like to start now with practicing gratitude?
If so, then check out our bestselling journal called “The 90-Day Gratitude Journal: A Mindful Practice for a Lifetime of Happiness.”
This journal will help you build an important daily habit of thankfulness and gratitude. Learn to re-discover all the glorious things that are already in your life.
34. “I just want you to know how special you are to me and what you mean to me. I know at times I get busy and we get caught up, I don't get the chance to always tell you how important you are in my life.” ― Rica V. Gadi
35. “All my life you have been there. You picked me up when I was down. You encouraged me when I had doubt. And you always loved me, even when I was unlovable. Thank you, my sister!” ― Catherine Pulsifer
36. “Sister dear, never fear. God will help you if you try. Do not despair, but always care to be good and love to try.” ― Anna Alcott
37. “My sister, even though we go separate ways, we have a bond that no one will ever break.” ― Kate Summers
38. “A ministering angel shall my sister be.” ― William Shakespeare
39. “A sister is a gift that lasts forever.” ― Unknown
40. “A sister travels with you always. She is only a whisper or a thought or a prayer away. She moves through our lives with us.” ― Roxie Kelley
41. “I aspire to be the best sister I can be – wherever we end up – this is my heartfelt pledge of sisterhood.” ― Melanie J. Pellowski
Funny Sister Quotes
Meaningful sister sayings can be funny, too (and often are). Enjoy the following and share the laughs by passing one or more of them on to your sister.
42. “At this point, none of us are sure why we fight. We’re sisters. We need no good reason to fight, even though we have plenty of them.” — Ken Wheaton
43. “A toast once heard: ‘To my big sister, who never found her second Easter egg until I’d found my first’.” ― Robert Brault
44. “A sister is everything you wish you could be and everything you wish you weren’t.” ― M. Molly Backes
45. “She’s my little sister. Mine to torture and mine to protect.” ― Julia Quinn
46. “If you don’t understand how a woman could both love her sister dearly and want to wring her neck at the same time, then you were probably an only child.” ― Linda Sunshine
47. “What are sisters for if not to point out the things the rest of the world is too polite to mention.” ― Claire Cook
48. “More than Santa Claus, your sister knows when you’ve been bad and good.” ― Linda Sunshine
49. “The mildest, drowsiest sister has been known to turn tiger if her sibling is in trouble.” ― Clara Ortega
50. “Never let an angry sister comb your hair.” ― Patricia McCann
51. “We know one another's faults, virtues, catastrophes, mortifications, triumphs, rivalries, desires, and how long we can each hang by our hands to a bar. We have been banded together under pack codes and tribal laws.” ― Rose Macaulay
52. “Big sisters are the crab grass in the lawn of life.” ― Charles M. Schulz
53. “Siblings: children of the same parents, each of whom is perfectly normal until they get together.” ― Sam Levenson
54. “As anybody with two older sisters can tell you, a closed door is like a red rag to a bull. It cannot go unchallenged.” ― Alan Bradley
Big Sister Quotes
Show your big sister some love and encouragement with one of the following quotes.
55. “An older sister is a friend and defender – a listener, conspirator, a counselor and a sharer of delights. And sorrows too.” ― Pam Brown
This may interest you:
Would you like to meditate your way to health and happiness?
If so, then check out my newly designed mindfulness product: “Mindful Meditators: 58 Card Prompts To Focus Your Meditation Time”
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced meditator, the Mindful Meditator Cards will enhance and reinforce your practice so that you can enjoy the proven benefits of meditation, including better health, improved focus, more creativity, and increased joy.
Each of the 58 cards has a different meditation prompt topic.
56. “As I grew up, one of my strongest allies has been my sister.” ― Patti Smith
57. “A big sister is like having a second Mother. She is always watching out for you and telling you what to do.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
58. “I always like to win. But I’m the big sister. I want to make sure she has everything, even if I don’t have anything.” ― Venus Williams
59. “Every girl needs the wisdom and safety that can come from heartfelt and honest conversations with a big sister – one who has already navigated through the many challenges of life, made hard decisions, known heartbreak, and learned from the mistakes she has made in her own life.” ― Helen Burns
60. “When I was growing up and I was starting to have new experiences – getting married, starting a family, having babies – it felt really nice to have older sisters that I could share with and get advice from and feel part of a bigger family.” ― Geoffrey Greif
61. “A sister will care for you like a mother, laugh with you like a brother, listen to you like a friend, but most of all, no matter how much you mess up; love you like only a sister a can. Your only job is to be the brother[sister] she deserves.” ― Unknown
62. “May, I love you with everything I am. For so long, I just wanted to be like you. But I had to figure out that I am someone too, and now I can carry you, your heart with mine, everywhere I go.” ― Ava Dellaira
63. “Hold my hand big sister all the years through. Hold my hand little brother for I will always love and protect you.” ― Unknown
64. “My older sister has entire kingdoms inside of her, and some of them are only accessible at certain seasons, in certain kinds of weather.” ― Karen Russell
65. “If you don't annoy your big sister for no good reason from time to time, she thinks you don't love her anymore.” ― Pearl Cleage
Sister Love Quotes
Share one of these powerful I love my sister quotes to celebrate your relationship and keep it strong.
66. “I’ve known every love possible, but as the years stretched out, the love I longed for the most is the one I shared with my sister.” ― Josephine Angelini
67. “You know full well as I do the value of sisters’ affections; there is nothing like it in this world.” ― Charlotte Bronte
68. “To have a loving relationship with a sister is not simply to have a buddy or a confidant – it is to have a soul mate for life.” ― Victoria Secunda
69. “Sisterly love is, of all sentiments, the most abstract. Nature does not grant it any functions.” ― Ugo Betti
70. “Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart – oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape – of your sister.” ― Katherine Mansfield
71. “My sister accommodates me, never reproaches me with her doctrine, never tries to change me. She accepts and loves me, despite our differences.” ― Joy Harjo
72. “Love is close to hate when it comes to sisters. You're as close as two humans can be. You came from the same womb. The same background. Even if you're poles apart, mentally. That's why it hurts so much when your sister is unkind. It's as though part of you is turning against yourself.” ― Jane Corry
73. “A sister is someone who loves you from the heart. No matter how much you argue you cannot be drawn apart. She is a joy that cannot be taken away. Once she enters your life, she is there to stay.” ― Shiva Sharma
74. “Sweet is the voice of a sister in the season of sorrow, and wise is the counsel of those who love us.” ― Benjamin Disraeli
75. “Parents die, daughters grow up and marry out, but sisters are for life. She is the only person left in the world who shares my memories of our childhood, our parents, our Shanghai, our struggles, our sorrows, and, yes, even our moments of happiness and triumph. My sister is the one person who truly knows me, as I know her. The last thing May says to me is ‘When our hair is white, we'll still have our sister love.’” ― Lisa See
76. “Is solace anywhere more comforting than that in the arms of a sister?” ― Alice Walker
77. “We are sisters. We will always be sisters. Our differences may never go away, but neither, for me, will our song.” ― Elizabeth Fishel
78. “A sister is one that always cares, she is loving and kind, and will always drop everything if you need her.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
79. “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” ― Margaret Mead
80. “Be kind to thy sister. Not many may know the depths of true sisterly love.” ― Margaret Courtney
Sisters-in-law deserve some love, too — particularly those who’ve been there for you during hard times.
81. “Sisterhood was about shared experiences, trust, knowing you had people who would be there for you and would listen to you no matter what, and who could always tell if there was something wrong. (…) She would always be there for her sisters, and they would always be there for her, because they loved each other no matter what.” ― Michelle Madow
82. “Our friendship grows, yet stays the same,
For sisters-in-law we became.
Yet she is so much more,
For she has become a sister that I adore.”
83. “God did plan for me to have sisters of the heart. Heart Sisters who didn't grow up with me but will stand up with me no matter what. Heart Sisters who know my most horrible qualities and love me anyway. Heart Sisters who aren't related to me by blood but instead by the sisterly bond entwined between our hearts.” ― Natalie Chambers Snapp
84. “But what Mom never told me is that along the way, you find sisters, and they find you. Girls are cool that way.” ― Adriana Trigiani
85. “Even though we live miles apart,
You will always be dear to my heart.
So, to you a special love I send,
To not just my sister-in-law,
but also my friend.”
86. “Family isn’t always blood. It’s the people in your life who want you in theirs – the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and love you no matter what.” ― Unknown
87. “In thee my soul shall own combined the sister and the friend.” ― Catherine Killigrew
Little Sister Quotes
Share one of these quotes with your little sister to show her some love and remind her that, while you might be older, you see much in her that you admire.
88. “That’s the best thing about little sisters: They spend so much time wishing they were elder sisters that in the end they’re far wiser than the elder ones could ever be.” ― Gemma Burgess
89. “But whenever she thanks the givers for favors great and small, she thinks of the good little sister who gave her more than they all.” ― Phoebe Cary
90. “A younger sister is someone to use as a guinea pig in trying sledges and experimental go-carts. Someone to send on messages to Mum. But someone who needs you – who comes to you with bumped heads, grazed knees, tales of persecution. Someone who trusts you to defend her. Someone who thinks you know the answers to almost everything.” ― Pam Brown
91. “A little sister can drive you crazy when you are young, but the older I get the more I realize what a blessing she is in my life.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
92. “Even though you are my little sister, your hugs during the difficult times in my life, have been like a hug from God.” ― Kate Summers
93. “Nobody could hold the same place in your heart as your sister. Love or hate her, she was the only person who grew up exactly like you, who knew the secrets of your household—the laughter that only the walls of your house contained or the screaming at a level low enough the neighbors couldn’t hear, the passive-aggressive compliments or the little put-downs. Only your sister could know how it felt to grow up in the house that made you you.” ― Jessica Taylor
94. “My sister and I are so close that we finish each other’s sentences and often wonder whose memories belong to whom.” ― Shannon Celebi
95. “It is okay for me to tease my little sister, but no one else teases her otherwise they answer to me.” ― Byron Pulsifer
96. “Little sisters can be a pain, but the big sister heroine worship can’t be beat.” ― Allison M. Lee
97. “We shared a room, you stole my toys, and then my clothes, but best friends we became.” ― Catherine Pulsifer
98. “But most are like my sister and me… linked by volatile love, best friends who make other best friends ever so slightly less best.” ― Patricia Volk
99. “Elder sisters never can do younger ones justice!” ― Charlotte M. Yonge
What are your favorite sister quotes?
Sister love is a special bond that, like any other, needs attention in order to thrive.
By taking the time to choose and share one or more of these quotes with your sister, you show her you’re thinking of her and of how your relationship has shaped you over the years.
I hope you find several that resonate with you both and brighten your day. And may your thoughtfulness and sisterly love influence everything you do.