As Father's Day approaches, it's time to think about the perfect gift to get your dad that will make him feel appreciated. Another tie? A “Best Dad Ever” mug? A new golf bag?
What will really make him feel appreciated and loved is a card with happy Father's Day messages written by you expressing your genuine feelings for dad. All dads want to read loving words that let him know, “Hey dad, I'm so grateful for you and all you have done for me.”
But it can be hard to come up with just the right words that convey how you're feeling. Sometimes you need a little inspiration to craft a heartfelt message.
Let's look at what you might want to write to dad and 25 examples of heartwarming Father's Day card messages that you can write to your dad.
What to Write in a Father's Day Card
When thinking about Father's Day messages, you may want to write something funny, or you may want to be more emotional and sincere.
If you have done your card shopping, you may have noticed that a lot of happy Father's Day messages reference stereotypes about dads that revolve around fishing, watching television, grilling, and drinking beer.
Often, these cards suggest that fathers are lazy and don't do much to help with their families. Most of them don't say anything sincere to reflect your gratitude for dad. That's why it's a good idea to come up with your own Father's Day sentiments to write to your dad that reflects who he truly is.
To make your card extra special, consider making the card yourself. You can find a lot of fun ideas on Pinterest and craft blogs featuring some of the best ideas for making your own Father's Day card. Some of them include:
- Pop-up card
- Wallet picture card
- Origami card
- Handprint card
- Personalized photo card
- Necktie card
Think about your dad's hobbies and try to design your card around something he enjoys. For example, if your dad is a doctor, make a card that is doctor themed, or if he loves baseball, maybe make your card into the shape of a baseball bat and ball.
Here are some examples of messages to write to any father on Father's Day. Feel free to change the wording a bit, depending on your unique situation and relationship with your dad.
You want to make sure that your message is personal and relevant to your specific bond. Choose one of the following messages that generally expresses how you feel.
25 Father's Day Messages
Father's Day Messages From Son
Fathers are the first heroes in a son's life. They are the first role models for young boys who look up to their dads and learn life's lessons from them.
Offering a genuine message and even some happy Father's Day quotes on this celebratory day will make dad feel special and proud.
Here are some samples of Happy Father's Day messages you might write in a card for your dad.
1. Dad, thank you for acting like a kid when I was young, like a friend whenever I needed one, and like a parent when I needed guidance in my life. You are the best man I will ever know, and I will continue to look up to you for the rest of my life.
2. Everyone needs a father figure to look up to when they are young. I was lucky enough to grow up with the real thing. Thank you for being an active, genuine, and loving father, even during times when I tested your patience.
3. Dad, you are one of the greatest influences in life. Most importantly, you've taught me how to live a life with a sense of character. To quote George Herbert, “One father is more than a hundred schoolmasters.” Thank you for being the ultimate teacher. Happy Father's Day!
4. “With sons and fathers, there's an inexplicable connection and imprint that your father leaves on you.” – Brad Pitt The imprint that you have left on me helps me be my best self every single day. I love you, dad. Thank you for always being my right-hand man.
5. Happy Father's Day to a man who is not only my dad but also one of my best friends. There is no one else in this world who I would rather hold either of those roles in my life. I love you.
6. The older I become, the more I recognize the importance of having a father like you. You have given me knowledge, stability, love, and the acceptance I needed throughout my life. Happy Father’s Day!
7. There’s no way I could repay you for everything you have done for me growing up, but I truly appreciate your hard work in raising me. I am the man I am today because of you. I will forever be in debt to you, and I can only hope to be half of the father to my future children that you have been to me. Happy Father's Day! I love you.
8. Dad, you are my hero and my role model. Thank you for setting a great example for me and always showing me how to do the right thing. As Sidney Poitier said, “I decided in my life that I would do nothing that did not reflect positively on my father's life.” I strive to be the role model to someone else that you have been to me.
Father's Day Messages From Daughter
A father is the first man a daughter loves, and girls look up to dad as a model for the future men in her life. Boyfriends will come and go, but a father will always be there to wipe away his daughter's tears.
Here are some happy Fathers Day messages that daughters can send to their dads to show them how much they are loved.
9. To my Dearest Dad, Happy Father’s Day! Today I want to celebrate you and everything you've taught me. I've learned how to stay strong and stand up for myself, to never give up, and to pick myself up when I fall. You will always be my best teacher. I love you!
10. Happy Father's Day, dad! Thank you for teaching me to be a person of my word and to stay true to myself. You have guided me to become the unique woman I am today, and I hope you are as proud of me as I am of being your daughter. I love you!
11. Thank you, dad, for all of the loving things you do that I might not always notice. It's so nice to know you are always there for me. I love you.
12. To my dad on Father’s Day: You are my ultimate protector, my secret keeper, defender against closet monsters, boo boo kisser and superhero. I love you with all my heart.
13. Dad, you have offered me the best things in life: Your love, time, advice, and care. I am genuinely grateful to have you as my dad. Happy Father’s Day to the best dad ever!
14. Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will always be with me. Although time and distance may sometimes keep us apart, your leadership, advice, and love will continue to stick with me through it all. Thank you for always being there for me, I love you!
15. While I always knew you were a special dad, it has taken me until adulthood to realize what powerful influence you've been for me. I owe my work ethic, compassion, and success to your parenting. I love you!
16. Dad, no man could ever measure up to you. It’s impossible to take you off of the pedestal you've always been on for me. You’re a kind, honest, loving, and smart man. Happy Father’s Day to the best father in the world.
17. You are the man who held me in your arms when I was young and held my hand whenever I needed support. Dad, I will always be there for you just like you've been there for me. Your support has guided me throughout my life, and I want you to know how much you mean to me. Happy Father's Day!
18. Every little girl dreams of being a princess. But I have never had to imagine what that would be like because you have always treated me like one. Thank you for being my knight in shining armor. I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day.
Father's Day Messages from Wife
As a wife, you want to communicate respect and gratitude in your happy Father's Day wishes to your husband and the father of your children.
Whether you're new parents or you’re ready to look back and laugh about your younger parenting years, your husband will appreciate knowing that you the positive things that he has done as a dad.
19. Thank you for all the things that you do to go above and beyond each day to help and support our family. The children and I are very lucky to have you.
20. I am so grateful to be able to share my life, love, and children with a wonderful man like you.
21. You give our kids someone to look up to, respect, and admire. You are a wonderful dad. Happy Father’s Day to the best husband and father in the world.
22. One day is never enough to celebrate what a wonderful dad you are because you amaze me each and every day of the year. Thank you for everything you do for our family and our kids. I love you!
23. I can't imagine living my life with a man more loving and compassionate than you. Our children are so fortunate to have you as their dad. Happy Father's Day!
24. You are filled with compassion, strength, and love. When our family needs a hand of support, you are always there to help. Thank you for everything that you do. Happy Father’s Day to a husband who truly is one-of-a-kind!
25. Father's Day is a special day of the year for all of us to stop and appreciate you for being such an amazing man, husband, and dad. Thank you for being there for all of us and loving us so much.
Father's Day Quotes
If you want to include a meaningful quote in your message to dad, check out these inspiring sayings that communicate so much about what fathers really mean to all of us.
1. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” — Jim Valvano
2. “To her, the name of father was another name for love.” — Fanny Fern
3. “My father didn’t tell me how to live. He lived and let me watch him do it.” — Clarence Budington Kelland
4. “It’s only when you grow up and step back from him—or leave him for your own home—it’s only then that you can measure his greatness and fully appreciate it.” — Margaret Truman
5. “One of the greatest things a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” — Howard W. Hunter
6. “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” — Umberto Eco
7. “Being a great father is like shaving. No matter how good you shaved today, you have to do it again tomorrow.” — Reed Markham
8. “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, story-tellers, and singers of song.” –Pam Brown
9. “‘Father’ is the noblest title a man can be given. It is more than a biological role. It signifies a patriarch, a leader, an exemplar, a confidant, a teacher, a hero, a friend.” — Robert L. Backman
10. “A family needs a father to anchor it.” –L. Tom Perry
11. “Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express.” — Joseph Addison
12. “To the WORLD you are a dad. To our FAMILY, you are the world.” — Author Unknown
What will you say to your dad this Father's Day?
These are just some ideas for happy Fathers Day messages to inspire you as you're thinking about what you want to say to your dad or husband.
Use a few of them to tailor your own unique message to your father and give him an extra special sentiment on this day to celebrate fathers.
Remember, nothing means more to dad than knowing he is loved, appreciated, and respected. Your loving words will show him that more than any gift that money can buy.