67 Encouraging Never Give Up Quotes
It’s easy to be motivated when you’re just getting started with something new.
The challenge comes when the newness wears off and you become more aware of the exertion and less aware of its potential rewards.
This is why creating good habits is essential to never giving up on your most worthwhile goals.
But the words of others who’ve been where you are now can also help.
Just knowing that others have felt the way you’re feeling right now can remind you of why you’re doing the work.
And they can give you enough of a boost to help you keep going.
That’s why we’ve collected the following 67 quotes on not giving up. Find some favorites, and keep them where you’ll see them every day.
67 Never Give Up Quotes
1. “You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can’t, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don’t give up.” ― Chuck Yeager
2. “Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.” — Newt Gingrich
3. “Do not be embarrassed by your failures, learn from them and start again.” ― Richard Branson
4. “Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” ― Thomas Edison
5. “Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
6. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
7. “To conquer frustration, one must remain intensely focused on the outcome, not the obstacles.” ― T.F. Hodge
8. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” ― Confucius
9. “On one hand, we know that everything happens for a reason, and there are no mistakes or coincidences. On the other hand, we learn that we can never give up, knowing that with the right tools and energy, we can reverse any decree or karma. So, which is it? Let the Light decide, or never give up? The answer is: both.” ― Yehuda Berg
10. “If you fall behind, run faster. Never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds.” ― Jesse Jackson
11. “Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit.” ― Napoleon Hill
12. “Survival can be summed up in three words – never give up. That’s the heart of it really. Just keep trying.” ― Bear Grylls
13. “Never give up; for even rivers someday wash dams away.” ― Arthur Golden
14. “I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.” — Abraham Lincoln
15. “I’m stronger because of the hard times, wiser because of my mistakes, and happier because I have known sadness.” — Allison Vogel
16. “Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.” — Michael Jordan
17. “Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” ― Roy Bennett
18. “You just never give up. You do a task to the best of your abilities and beyond.” ― Debbie Reynolds
19. “Don't quit. Never give up trying to build the world you can see, even if others can't see it. Listen to your drum and your drum only. It's the one that makes the sweetest sound.” ― Simon Sinek
20. “You may be the only person left who believes in you, but it's enough. It takes just one star to pierce a universe of darkness. Never give up.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich
21. “Every time I thought I was being rejected from something good, I was actually being redirected to something better.” ― Steve Maraboli
22. “A failure is not always a mistake. It may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.” ― B.F. Skinner
23. “If you really believe in what you’re doing, work hard, take nothing personally and if something blocks one route, find another. Never give up.” ― Laurie Notaro
24. “Children have a lesson adults should learn, to not be ashamed of failing, but to get up and try again. Most of us adults are so afraid, so cautious, so ‘safe,' and therefore so shrinking and rigid and afraid that it is why so many humans fail. Most middle-aged adults have resigned themselves to failure.” ― Malcolm X
25. “Never give up, and be confident in what you do. There may be tough times, but the difficulties which you face will make you more determined to achieve your objectives and to win against all the odds.” ― Marta
26. “I never lose. I either win or learn.” ― Nelson Mandela
27. “You never fail until you stop trying.” ― Albert Einstein
28. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.” ― Vince Lombardi
29. “You can dance in the storm. Don't wait for the rain to be over before because it might take too long. You can do it now. Wherever you are, right now, you can start, right now; this very moment.” ― Israelmore Ayivor
30. “The best way out is always through. “ — Robert Frost
31. “You’re not obligated to win. You’re obligated to keep trying. To the best you can do everyday.” ― Jason Mraz
32. “There is no failure except in no longer trying.” ― Elbert Hubbard
33. “I was taught the way of progress is neither swift nor easy.” ― Marie Curie
34. “Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear – not absence of fear.” ― Mark Twain
35. “There are five important things for living a successful and fulfilling life: never stop dreaming, never stop believing, never give up, never stop trying, and never stop learning.” ― Roy Bennett
36. “You have to conquer every obstacle before you can reach the top of the mountain.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
37. “It's always too early to quit.” — Norman Vincent Peale
38. “Never give up on something you believe in.” ― Steve Scalise
39. “If you fell down yesterday, stand up today.” ― H.G. Wells
40. “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” ― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
41. “Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost legendary. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Perseverance and determination alone are omnipotent.” ― Calvin Coolidge
42. “Whenever you have taken up work in hand, you must see it to the finish. That is the ultimate secret of success. Never, never, never give up!” ― Dada Vaswani
43. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” ― Paulo Coelho
44. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” ― Julie Andrews
45. “The more you resist quitting the more power you gain.” — Maxie McCoy
46. “Success is most often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable.” ― Coco Chanel
47. “Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not clichés but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path.” ― Phillip Sweet
48. “Success is what happens after you have survived all your mistakes.” ― Anora Lee
49. “When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” ― Henry Ford
50. “Be like the cliff against which the waves continually break; but it stands firm and tames the fury of the water around it.” ― Marcus Aurelius
51. “Not to give up under any circumstances should be the motto of our life: we shall try again and again, and we are bound to succeed. There will be obstacles, but we have to defy them. So do not give up, do not give up! Continue, continue! The goal is ahead of you. If you do not give up, you are bound to reach your destined goal.” ― Sri Chinmoy
52. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” ― Winston Churchill
53. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” ― Maya Angelou
Related: 31 Believe In Yourself Quotes
54. “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.” ― Nelson Mandela
55. “You just never give up, no matter how hard the challenges are, and observe this world with a healthy dose of criticism and don’t just follow the herd like somebody else might do.” ― Renny Harlin
56. “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
57. “A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions – as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
58. “Giving up is the only sure way to fail.” ― Gena Showalter
59. “If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
60. “Stay on track, don't look back. You have come too far not to finish what you started. You can improve, you can change, you can progress, you can make a difference. You can do it, if you stay on track.” ― Germany Kent
61. “Never quit believing that you can develop in life. Never give up. Don’t deny the inward spirit that provides the drive to accomplish great things in life.” ― Jon Huntsman, Sr.
62. “Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday.” ― Wilma Rudolph
63. “It doesn’t matter how many times you get knocked down. All that matters is you get up one more time than you were knocked down.” ― Roy Bennett
64. “Never let your head hang down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way. And don’t pray when it rains if you don’t pray when the sun shines.” ― Leroy Satchel Paige
65. “The one thing you’ve gotta do is that you need to always do the best you can do, no matter what the given situation, no matter what comes up against you. You do the best you can do, and you never give up. Never quit.” ― Michael “Meat Loaf” Lee Aday
66. “I actually learned that you should never give up, and if you love something, take courage and absolutely go after it.” ― Jessica Jung
67. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.” ― Robert Collier
What are your favorite never give up quotes?
Now that you’re armed with a small library of inspiring quotes to help you stay the course, what quotes stand out as your favorites?
Which ones stoked the fire in you to keep going and work even harder than before?
Imagine the authors of those quotes cheering you on as you go. Someday, your words may do the same for someone else.
In the meantime, if you know anyone else struggling as they work toward their goals, why not share these quotes with them, so they can pick out their own favorites?
May your thoughtfulness and resilience influence everything you do today.