But others have suffered as you’re suffering now.
And the quotes in this article come from those who’ve found a way to move on in spite of that pain.
Some have even found new and better paths because of it.
And you can be one of them. But you won’t know where a view of the bigger picture will lead you until you make the first step.
So, if you’re tired of feeling stuck in a self-torturing loop, consider the carefully chosen moving on quotes that follow.
63 Moving On Quotes
Letting go and moving on is impossible if you’re not even willing to entertain the idea of forgiving yourself or someone who hurt you.
You’re not the only one who’s had to recover from disappointed expectations.
And you’re no less capable of learning from your experiences and moving on.
1. “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” ― Ernie Harwell
2. “Grief is never something you get over. You don’t wake up one morning and say, ‘I’ve conquered that; now I’m moving on.’ It’s something that walks beside you every day. And if you can learn how to manage it and honor the person that you miss, you can take something that is incredibly sad and have some form of positivity.” ― Terri Irwin
3. “Let’s hope that for every time that we get hurt or break our heart, there is something somewhere being written to make up for it, to make the happiness due even bigger and laughters even merrier, for after all good things must happen to good people.” ― Mansi Soni
4. “Keep on beginning and failing. Each time you fail, start all over again, and you will grow stronger until you have accomplished a purpose – not the one you began with perhaps, but one you’ll be glad to remember.” ― Anne Sullivan
5. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost
6. “Blessed are the hearts that can bend; they shall never be broken.” ― Albert Camus
7. “We all have life storms, and when we get the rough times and we recover from them, we should celebrate that we got through it. No matter how bad it may seem, there’s always something beautiful that you can find.” ― Mattie Stepanek
8. “I demolish my bridges behind me.. then there is no choice but to move forward.” ― Fridtjof Nansen
9. “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
10. “Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life and repeat to yourself, the most comforting words of all; this, too, shall pass.” ― Ann Landers
11. “Laughter gives us distance. It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.” ― Bob Newhart
12. “Moving on is not closure. It’s not neat, and it’s not about turning the page. It is about moving on, but it doesn’t mean that you’ve left something behind.” ― Thomas Gibson
13.“Love is easy, falling in love is even easier, but letting that love go, is the most difficult thing you’ll ever have to do. Some of us never let it go and sometimes it takes a while to realize what you want. But your heart will always have the right answer in the end. You just have to figure out what it’s telling you.” ― Marie Coulson
14, “Sometimes, in order to find happiness, one must allow some old bridges to collapse, in order to build better ones.” ― Lionel Suggs
15. “Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits.” ― Sarah Breathnach
16. “The moment of realization is: When what you thought you couldn’t be without, becomes a part of the past, rather than the start of the future.” ― Melody Carstairs
17. “The past does not define me, it ignites me. The past is not a piece of me, it has placed me.” ― Ricky Maye
18. “At some point, you have to set down the past. At some point, you have to accept that everyone was doing their best. At some point, you have to gather yourself up, and go onward into your life.” ― Olivia Laing
19. “When your bright future, becomes a dull regret of the past, take a deep breath and move on.” ― Kendal Rob
20. “Sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward.” ― Erika Taylor
21. “Hearts may break, and relationships end, but life goes on. You can’t stop life’s motion; it’s either you let life pass you by or you go with its motion.” ― Innocent Mwatsikesimbe
22. “Sometimes it’s better to end something & try to start something new than imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.” ― Karen Salmansohn
23. “Don’t waste your time looking back at what you lost. Move on, life is not meant to be traveled backwards.” ― Unknown
24. “The most difficult aspect of moving on is accepting that the other person already did.” ― Faraaz Kazi
25. “Keeping baggage from the past will leave no room for happiness in the future.” ― Wayne L. Misner
26. “Moving on is not forgetting – moving on is being able to remember without feeling awful about it.” ― Sam Madison
27.“You don’t get over it. You move past it. You move through it. You lose yourself to find it, and when found, it’s yours and no longer theirs.” ― Dominic Riccitello
28. “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go.” ― Drew Gerald
29. “A bridge can still be built, while the bitter waters are flowing beneath.” ― Anthony Liccione
30. “Why do people persist in a dissatisfying relationship, unwilling either to work toward solutions or end it and move on? It’s because they know changing will lead to the unknown, and most people believe that the unknown will be much more painful than what they’re already experiencing.” ― Anthony Robbins
31. “It’s amazing, really, how in one instant a wall can be torn down or climbed over. Misconceptions can be shattered, illusions dashed, dreams irrevocably ruined. Given the right frame of mind, within a heartbeat, people can begin the business of starting over.” ― Tamara Thiel
32. “The darkest night is often the bridge to the brightest tomorrow.” ― Jonathan Lockwood Huie
33. “Life moves on and so should we.” ― Spencer Johnson
34. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” ― Paulo Coelho
35. “You’ve got to be able to acknowledge and understand the past and move on from it. You have to understand it, and I think a lot of us just don’t have an opportunity to understand it; but it’s there.” ― Michelle Obama
36. “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” ― J.P. Morgan
37. “If you’ve fallen down, today is the day you can get back up and try again.” ― Amelie Chance
38. “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.” ― C. S. Lewis
39. “Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist but the ability to start over.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
40. “The poison leaves bit by bit, not all at once. Be patient. You are healing.” ― Yasmin Mogahed
41. “You don’t need closure. You just need to give yourself permission to move on.” ― Steve Harvey
42. “Change is hard at first, messy in the middle and gorgeous at the end.” ― Robin Sharma
43. “Growth is painful. Change is painful. But nothing is as painful as staying stuck somewhere you don’t belong.” ― Mandy Hale
44. “By forgiving and choosing to move on, one takes the power back to morph it into positive energy.” ― Eugenia Tripputi
45. “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain.” ― Vivian Greene
46. “The secret of change is to focus all of your energy not on fighting the old, but on building the new.” ― Dan Millman
47. “I think that you never fall out of love with somebody, you just let go and move on.” — Ashley Rickards
48. “Cry. Forgive. Learn. Move on. Let your tears water the seeds of your future happiness.” ― Steve Maraboli
49. “You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ― Christopher Columbus
50. “Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” ― Patti Roberts
51. “When it comes to love and loss, acceptance is never easy. We can’t make someone see all we have to give, make them love us, or make them change. All we can do is move on and stop wasting time.” ― April Mae Monterrosa
52. “Getting stuck is not a problem. Staying stuck is. Good learners practice getting unstuck.” ― Alistair Smith
53. “If you don’t leave your past in the past, it will destroy your future. Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away.” ― Unknown
54. “A very wise man once told me that you can’t look back – you just have to put the past behind you, and find something better in your future.” ― Jodi Picoult
55. “That’s all you can do in this world, no matter how strong the current beats against you, or how heavy your burden, or how tragic your love story. You keep going.” ― Robyn Schneider
56. “Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” ― Conrad Hilton
57. “If I kept saying it; if I kept reaching out. My accident really taught me just one thing: the only way to go on is to go on. To say ‘I can do this’ even when you know you can’t.” ― Stephen King
58. “It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over.” ― Paulo Coelho
59. “It is foolish to tear one’s hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
60. “A difficult time can be more readily endured if we retain the conviction that our existence holds a purpose, a cause to pursue, a person to love, and a goal to achieve.” ― John Maxwell
61. “Take a second to think about this: in your life you search and search for the right person for you. Every time you break up with someone you get one step closer to that person. You should look at moving on as getting closer to meeting the one.” ― Ian Philpot
62. “Whether you spend your days in sorrow or in joy, time will still continue to tick away. The longer you take to move on, the less time you’ll have to spend being happy.” ― Kevin Ngo
63. “Rehashing the past wouldn’t change anything. Time to move forward.” ― Zena Wynn
Which of these moving on quotes spoke to you?
A better life is waiting for you on the other side of forgiveness.
Knowing that might not make it easier to let go of the injury and move on, but it should at least help you see the bigger picture of where you are and where you could be.
That’s what these quotes about moving on are all about.
You weren’t born to live up to the point of this injury and then to stop living, years before your body catches up.
If you’re still alive, you still have work to do. And most of that work will be on yourself.
So may your compassion and your zest for life and growth influence everything you do today.