Abraham Lincoln knew a thing or two about human nature and how we can often deceive ourselves and others with hypocrisy and broken promises.
When he used the popular idiom, “Actions speak louder than words” in the form we use today, he reminds us that it’s not what we say but what we do that reveals our character.
Words are cheap and have become a dime a dozen in recent years.
You don’t know whose words to believe or even what they mean sometimes.
It’s only when someone follows up their words with matching actions that we can trust them.
Our collection of actions over words quotes would make even old Abe Lincoln smile, knowing his wisdom has lasted through many decades.
37 Actions Speak Louder Than Words Quotes
If you or someone you know needs the courage or fortitude to follow through and take action, these “action not words” quotes can give you the push you need.
Read through the sayings and allow them to inspire you to prove that you are as good as your word. Others will notice – and you’ll feel good about yourself.
1. “If we don’t fight for what we stand for with our passionate words and honest actions, do we really stand for anything?” ― Tiffany Madison.
2. “If your actions don’t live up to your words, you have nothing to say.” ― DaShanne Stokes
3. “So who’s more adult – somebody who works like mad to avoid a problem or somebody who works like mad to solve it?” ― Janet Kagan
4. “Don’t just tell me. Show me.” ― Unknown
6. “Thoughts do more. Words do much. Actions do much more.” – Israelmore Ayivor
7. “Love is one of those topics that plenty of people try to write about but not enough try to do.” ― Criss Jami
8. “I think ‘actions speak louder than words’ is one thing, I think, I always took from my mom. And to this day, I think about that in everything I do.” – Ginni Rometty
9. “Now the thing is not to get into unnecessary quarrels by talking too much and not to indicate any weakness by talking too much; let our actions speak for themselves.” – Henry L. Stimson
10. “You are not just for the right or left, but for what is right over the wrong.” ― Suzy Kassem
11. “I can influence others, but I’m not responsible for others.” ― Brittany Burgunder
12. “People can play dumb all they want, but they always give themselves away in actions. In the small moments, like that.” ― Stephanie Perkins
13. “In the dating game, the world is difficult because people don’t communicate, or they communicate, but then their actions speak louder than words.” – Hayley Kiyoko
15. “Words will hold some water, but actions carry buckets full” ― Christine Szymanski
16. “Positive self talk isn’t enough… if you want to overcome more put in the work.” ― Wesam Fawzi
17. “The superior man acts before he speaks, and afterward speaks according to his actions.” —- Confucius
19. “A woman of mystery is one who also has a certain maturity and whose actions speak louder than words. Any woman can be one if she keeps those two points in mind.” — Alfred Hitchcock
20. “Everybody has a personal decision to make but hopefully my actions speak louder than words.” — Luke Zeller
21. “You need to know it’s your actions that will make you a good person, not desire.” — Matthew Quick
22. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” — Robert Frost
23. “Words may show a man’s wit but actions his meaning.” — Benjamin Franklin
24. “Actions speak louder than words. All companies say they care, right? But few actually exercise that care.” — Simon Sinek
25. “If you talk about it, it’s a dream, if you envision it, it’s possible, but if you schedule it, it’s real.” — Anthony Robbins
26. “I am not imposed upon by fine words; I can see what actions mean.” — George Eliot
27. “When you are purposeful and take daily action, more opportunities come into your life. Believe and build more.” — Wesam Fawzi
28. “Rather than wait to be discovered, discover yourself. Whatever it is that you intend to do later, start doing it now, get good at it, and show people what you’ve done. Actions speak louder than words.” – Steve-O
29. “Talk is cheap. Actions speak.” – Robin S. Sharma
30. “Well done is better than well said.” – Benjamin Franklin
31. “If your actions don’t live up to your words, you have nothing to say.” – DaShanne Stokes
32. “Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.” – Theodore Roosevelt
33. “A tongue doesn’t get things done.” – Amit Kalantri
34. “Being all talk speaks volumes about you.” – Frank Sonnenberg
36. “Your actions will always speak volumes louder than your words ever will!” – G Swiss
37. “No plan and no action will lead to no results.” – Germany Kent
If you’ve read all of the quotes about actions and words, then there are no words left to say except, “Take action!” There’s no better time than right now to do the thing you’ve promised or act in accordance with your word.