Did you grow up reading about Piglet, Tigger and Winnie the Pooh going on adventures together?
I loved Winnie as a child, but revisiting classic Winnie the Pooh quotes as an adult makes me realize that he was wise beyond his years. His simplistic perspectives on life are inspiring to people of all ages.
You might wonder where the idea for this lovable bear and his friends came from. Here’s the story . . .
During World War I, troops from Winnipeg, Canada were traveling when Lieutenant Harry Colebourn bought a small black bear cub and named her Winnipeg after his hometown — or “Winnie” for short.
Colebourn had to leave Winnie at a London Zoo when the Brigade traveled to France, where the cub became a popular attraction with the community, including Christopher Robin, who was author A.A. Milne’s son.
Christopher Robin named his own teddy bear Winnie, which became Milne’s title character of these books.
Walt Disney’s daughters loved Milne’s stories, which inspired Disney to create a film inspired by Pooh in 1966. In 1993, the Walt Disney Company recognized Pooh Bear as being second only to Mickey Mouse among their best-known characters worldwide.
Author A.A. Milne created thoughtful and profound characters with his famous novels — and many Pooh quotes have life lessons that anyone can learn from.
While the stories are cute on the surface and the characters are easy for everyone to love, the deeper meaning behind some of their words is one of the reasons why Winnie the Pooh has stayed popular through all these years.
40 of the Best Winnie the Pooh Quotes
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Life
1. “’Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?’
‘Supposing it didn’t,’ said Pooh after careful thought.
Piglet was comforted by this.”
2. “One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.”
3. “’Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.’”
‘I’ve been thinking…’
‘That’s a very good habit to get into to, Piglet.'”
5. “When you see someone putting on his big boots, you can be pretty sure that an adventure is going to happen.”
6. “The nicest thing about the rain is that it always stops. Eventually.”
7. “Winnie the Pooh finds comfort in counting his pots of honey, and Rabbit finds comfort in knowing where his relations are – even if he doesn’t need them at the moment.”
8. “A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference.”
9. “It’s always useful to know where a friend-and-relation is, whether you want him or whether you don’t.”
Famous Winnie the Pooh Quotes
10. “Forever isn’t long at all, Christopher, when I’m with you.”
11. “Don’t underestimate the value of doing nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”
12. “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.”
13. “Piglet: ‘How do you spell love?’
Pooh: ‘You don’t spell it, you feel it.'”
14. “On Monday, when the sun is hot I wonder to myself a lot: ‘Now is it true, or is it not, That what is which and which is what?’ On Tuesday, when it hails and snows, The feeling on me grows and grows That hardly anybody knows If those are these or these are those. On Wednesday, when the sky is blue, And I have nothing else to do, I sometimes wonder if it’s true That who is what and what is who. On Thursday, when it starts to freeze And hoar-frost twinkles on the trees, How very readily one sees That these are whose—but whose are these?”
15. “‘Pooh!’ [Piglet] whispered. ‘Yes, Piglet?’
‘Nothing…I just wanted to be sure of you.'”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes About Loss
16. “‘I wonder what Piglet is doing,’ thought Pooh.
‘I wish I were there to be doing it, too.'”
17. “The hardest part is what to leave behind…It’s time to let go!”
18. “Promise me you’ll never forget me, because if I thought you would, I’d never leave.”
Inspirational Winnie the Pooh Quotes
19. “‘Sometimes,’ said Pooh, ‘the smallest things take up the most room in your heart.'”
20. “There is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
22. “I always get to where I’m going by walking away from where I have been.”
23. “Sometimes…a thing which seemed very thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.”
24. “Piglet wasn’t afraid if he had Christopher Robin with him, so off they went…”
25. “…Owl was explaining that in a case of sudden and temporary immersion, the important thing was to keep your head above water.”
26. “Pooh felt that he ought to say something helpful about it, but didn’t quite know what.
So he decided to do something helpful instead.”
27. “’Well, even if I’m in the moon, I needn’t be face downwards all the time,’ so he got cautiously up and looked about him.”
28. “’What day is it?’
‘It’s today,’ squeaked Piglet.
‘My favorite day,’ said Pooh.”
Funny Winnie the Pooh Quotes
29. “’Rabbit’s clever,’ said Pooh thoughtfully.
‘Yes,’ said Piglet, ‘Rabbit’s clever.’
‘And he has brain.’
‘Yes,’ said Piglet, ‘Rabbit has brain.’
There was a long silence.
‘I suppose…that that’s why he never understands anything.'”
30. “It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch?”
31. “I’m not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.”
32. “They’re funny things, accidents. You never have them till you’re having them.”
33. “Always watch where you are going. Otherwise, you may step on a piece of the Forest that was left out by mistake.”
34. “‘When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,’ said Piglet at last, ‘what’s the first thing you say to yourself?’
‘What’s for breakfast?’ said Pooh. ‘What do you say, Piglet?’
‘I say, I wonder what’s going to happen exciting today?’ said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. ‘It’s the same thing,’ he said.”
Winnie the Pooh Quotes on Saying Goodbye
35. “Love is taking a few steps backward maybe even more… to give way to the happiness of the person you love.”
36. “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?”
37. “One thing you should know, no matter where I go, we’ll always be together.”
38. “So perhaps the best thing to do is to stop writing Introductions and get on with the book.”
39. “Even if we’re apart, I’ll always be with you.”
40. “”What should happen if you forget about me?” asked Pooh.
“Silly old bear, I won’t ever forget about you,” said Christopher Robin.”
Did you enjoy these Winnie The Pooh quotes? Share the love!
Do you recognize any of these Pooh quotes? Hopefully, these took you back to your childhood while also inspiring you to see the more profound meaning behind the “Silly Old Bear.”
Take a moment to share Pooh’s wisdom and spread the love by sharing this post on your favorite social media platform.