23 Good Paying Jobs For College Students

Looking for a good paying job for college students?

You’re in the right place.

Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce reports in an article that more than 70% of college students work while enrolled.

Having a steady income can help you manage your tuition fees and avoid future debt. It can also expand your skill-set and prepare you for what awaits after graduation.

We've curated 23 of the best jobs for college students, including a variety of remote opportunities and jobs with flexible work hours.

23 of the Best Jobs for College Students

Best Summer Jobs for College Students

Summer break is the ideal opportunity to find seasonal jobs or short-term employment. Take a look at our list of the best summer jobs for college students looking to earn some extra cash.

Restaurant Worker

The hospitality industry offers plenty of diverse opportunities for college students, especially during summer breaks.

restaurant waitress jobs for college students

Food servers, chefs, hosts, and bartenders are in huge demand, and, according to Investopedia, the average hourly wage for these positions comes at around $12.15.

These jobs do require a lot of patience and energy, but the extra tips and free food can definitely make it worth your while.

Babysitter

If you love children, then a babysitting gig can be the perfect opportunity for you for a summer job.

With an average hourly rate of $16.43, this part-time job not only is financially rewarding, but also it can also teach you responsibility, patience, and self-reliance.

Keep in mind that working with young children can be challenging and requires plenty of tolerance and compassion.

If you grew up with younger siblings, then you probably know the ropes pretty well, and nannying should come naturally to you.

Lifeguard

Spending your summer breaks at the beach or at the local pool is a fun way to earn some extra cash. On average, lifeguards earn an hourly wage of $9.25, depending on the location and your past experience.

Aside from having excellent swimming skills, you may need to provide a Red Cross Certificate before applying.

Camp Counselor

Summer camps are often in need of counselors to supervise the activities and develop recreational plans.

You can earn up to $9.63 per hour, but you’ll need to be certified as a lifeguard and provide a first aid license to ensure the safety and wellbeing of campers.

Farm Worker

Nature lovers and college students alike can earn a median hourly wage of $9.66 by caring for livestock, planting crops and doing some basic maintenance on local farms.

man working on rice field jobs for college students

It’s mainly physical labor that requires strength and muscle, but it’s also quite a rewarding experience.

This is also an excellent opportunity for agriculture majors and those planning to work in related industries after graduation.

Caregiver

You don’t need medical experience to help those in need.

With an average hourly pay of $14.00, you’d be providing in-home care mostly for the elderly and individuals who aren’t able to perform the usual daily tasks like grocery shopping, meal prep, etc.

Being a caregiver is a gratifying job, but it demands a lot of empathy and effective communication.

Best Paying Part-Time Jobs for College Students

Juggling finals and work is an adventurous feat but it’s also a terrific way to expand your skill set, polish your resume and pay for your college tuition.

We’ve listed a few of the best paying part-time jobs you may find to your liking.

Brand Ambassador

If you’re easygoing and approachable, then working part-time as a brand ambassador might suit you well.

Your primary job would be to promote a certain organization by handing out pamphlets and promotional products and engaging with potential customers.

It’s a job especially fit for extroverts and those with a bright personality. A brand ambassador can make about $17.00 per hour!

Telemarketer

Although not the most exciting job, telemarketing is a sought-after occupation that offers a flexible working schedule.

The job consists of making phone calls to persuade potential customers to buy certain products or services that the company offers.

The average salary in the U.S is $13.05 per hour.

Bank Teller

Economy and finance students who are in search of some part-time opportunities could easily find employment as bank tellers.

The average hourly wage is $10.80 and the working hours are quite reasonable.

It can be stressful at times, but it’s certainly a great way to jump-start your career.

Bookkeeper

With a median hourly salary of $12.70, bookkeeping ranks high on our list of part-time jobs for college students.

Bookkeepers record all transactions and post debits and credits. They also produce financial statements and other reports for supervisors and managers.

If math is your strong side, then this can be a great way to earn a few extra bucks.

Desk Clerk

Have a knack for keeping things organized and in line? Are you a good communicator?

As a desk clerk, you'll perform a variety of administrative duties, answer phone calls, and greet visitors.

A desk clerk job will earn you around $10.70 per hour and, best of all, it doesn’t require you to have a specific skill set.

It can be slightly tedious, but if you pay attention, you can gain insight into what the real-world office life is all about.

Library Assistant

Love reading books? Aside from assisting the librarians in their everyday duties, library assistants do get a fair bit of downtime to catch up with their studies and reading.

woman reading a book on a library jobs for college students

Library assistants might catalogue or shelve books, organize materials, maintain computer databases, and answer patrons' questions.

The wage comes to $13.43 per hour.

Jobs for College Students Online

Online jobs provide some of the best opportunities to earn extra income while you are still in school.

Here are a few benefits of working online:

• Working remotely (home, coffee shop, college campus, etc.)
  • Flexible schedule
  • Cutting costs (no commute, no office rent, no fancy wardrobe)
  • Ability to choose your own clients
  • Ability to set your own rates

Freelance Writer

While there’s a fair bit of competition in this field, freelance writing is an amazing way to cash-in your storytelling skills.

Write for blogs, websites, or online magazines and earn up to $20.00 per hour. The wages vary depending on your skills and experience, but the more you write, the better writer you will become.

Platforms like Upwork, Guru, and Freelancer.com are some of the best websites for aspiring writers looking for new gigs.

Graphic Designer

Photoshop. Corel. Illustrator. If these terms mean anything to you, then working as a graphic designer may be the perfect opportunity for you.

The average salary in the U.S is $17.82 per hour, but design work can easily turn into a full-time job if your skills are up to par.

You can get started by joining popular freelance platforms like Behance and 99designs that are specifically intended for website, graphic and typeface designers.

Social Media Manager

Why not cash in the time you spend browsing social media apps? Many companies are in search of social media managers to handle their online accounts like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, LinkedIn, etc.

The average hourly rate is $16.68, but the job offers plenty of room to grow and develop your skills.

Online English Teacher

Being a native English speaker can land you some awesome opportunities. Online English teaching is high in demand and pays anywhere from $14.00 to $23.00 per hour.

There’s a plethora of websites and online companies that would be willing to give you a chance. Some of them may require proof of nationality or previous teaching experience.

As an English-speaking expert, your job is to help your students reach their goals related to learning the language.

App Tester

Like to try out new mobile games and apps? Companies are actually willing to pay you for it!

man using his tablet jobs for college students

You can earn about $10.00 for each app you test, and all you need to do is follow the instructions and send appropriate feedback. Easy peasy, right?

Data Entry Worker

Even if you’re not gifted with a particular set of skills, you can still earn an income working online.

A data entry worker enters and updates information into a company database. You should be able to type and be comfortable with Mac and PC keyboards.

On average, you can earn around $12.68 per hour for completing daily reports, verifying and updating existing data for various companies.

Jobs for College Students with a Flexible Schedule

Flexible working hours and the option of working remotely are one of the biggest advantages of these jobs.

If your college doesn’t require you to attend classes every day, then perhaps some of these positions can fill the gap and earn you some extra income.

Rideshare Driver

Have a driver’s license? Use it to your advantage! Joining a ridesharing company like Uber or Lyft allows you to dictate your own schedule and earn some money on the side.

With an average rate of $15.00 to $17.00 per hour and the possibility of tips, transporting people from point A to point B seems like a lucrative business move.

Weekends and evening hours are generally busier, so if your schedule allows it, you can easily make a steady income by cruising around your college campus or town.

Tutor

Tutoring is by far one of the best jobs for college students. If you’re particularly knowledgeable about a certain topic, you can easily set your own schedule and offer assistance to other students.

Tutors generally earn $10.70 per hour, but you can always set your own rates depending on the subject you teach.

Bonus points (and money!) if you’re in a position to offer classes or tutorials on specific, more complex topics.

Dog Walker

Animal lovers looking for some quick cash can use their spare time to work as dog walkers or animal caretakers.

woman walking her tiny dog jobs for college students

With an hourly rate of $10.00 to $30.00, this job requires empathy and patience but also rewards you with some well-deserved cuddles!

Fitness Instructor

Sports enthusiasts and fitness aficionados can earn around $20.00 per hour by developing fitness and meal plans, custom workout routines and personal training to those looking to get fit and healthy.

You may need to provide a personal trainer certificate, but on the upside, you’d be earning money by doing something you’re passionate about!

Cleaner

Why not help fellow college students or locals in your community get their lives in order by providing much-needed cleaning services?

Most people are willing to pay housekeepers anywhere between $11.00 and $14.00 an hour for cleaning, vacuuming, dusting and basic sprucing of their homes.

It’s not the most luxurious of jobs, but it allows you to work around your classes and earn some extra money while enrolled.

More Related Articles:

6 Dream Jobs To Ignite Passion And Purpose

Freelance Writing Jobs: How To Start And Where To Find Lucrative Gigs

14 Of The Best Jobs for People With Anxiety

Start Your Job Search Now!

This list of jobs is an excellent resource to help you cash-in on your knowledge and skills during your college years.

Working while studying can be challenging, but it’s a great opportunity to develop some new skills, become more independent, and manage the expenses of college life.

The best jobs for college students are those that offer a flexible schedule and a fair wage. This list offers a wide variety of positions that cover both of these needs.

Since you've just read this article, and you're on a roll, why not spiff up your resume and start your search for a job that fits your needs and schedule?

May your tenacity and enthusiasm land you the perfect job!

Having a steady income can help you manage your tuition fees and avoid future debt. It can also expand your skill-set and prepare you for what awaits after graduation. #passion #career #money #jobs #work