A Life Cleanse: Purge Yourself of a Toxic Mindset
Last Updated on
“Cleanse your emotions, passions, impulses, attitudes, and reactions. That is the essence of spiritual discipline as laid down in all faiths.” ~Sri Sathya Sai Baba
Editor's Note: This post originally appeared on my friend Katie Tallo's blog, Momentum Gathering. Katie has just launched The 7-Week Life Cleanse, her beautiful new eBook. Click here to view more details
When you read the word “cleanse,” what comes to mind first? If we were playing a word association game, would the word “colon” pop right up? It does for me, but maybe I'm full of it.
A colon cleanse expunges your system, flushes the impurities and toxins, helps you feel lighter, and gives you more energy and vitality. Wow. If it weren't such a pain in the behind (pardon the pun), we'd want to do it every day. A colon cleanse is amazingly beneficial for your health, especially if you follow up with an on-going commitment to healthy eating and exercise.
If this physical procedure is so good for you, just imagine the benefits of a colonic for your life.
Most things that are transformational involve some amount of discomfort and embarrassment. It's certainly true for a colon cleanse, and it's also true for a purging of your life. In fact, a life cleanse can cause a complete upheaval in your world, but the benefits will lift you to a new level of self-awareness, passion and enthusiasm. Is it worth it? Only if you want to bloom beyond mediocrity and discover passionate, extraordinary living.
So what's involved in a life colonic? It's a four-step process, so hop up here on the examining table, and let's discuss the procedure before we begin.
- First, there must be the awareness that things are not quite right. Perhaps you feel out-of-sorts, unfulfilled, uninspired or just bloated with boredom. Maybe you are even downright unhappy. Do you have any of these symptoms? If so, this is the perfect time for a life colonic.
- The next step is desire. You know things are not right, and you don't want to keep your head in the sand any longer. The discomfort of being out-of-balance in your soul is beginning to overwhelm the anxiety of doing something about it. You are now ready to take action.
- The third step is the examination and flush. You will undergo an extensive soul search. We'll have to use the long hose with the light on the end. We must examine all the dark and sensitive corners that are causing impurities and lethargy. Those areas will need to be completely flushed, so that you can start with a clean slate.
- The final step is healing and discovery. You may be a little sore, but now that you have purged yourself of inauthentic beliefs and attitudes, as well as limiting fears and emotional obstacles, you are ready to discover who you really are and what brings you joy and passion in life.
Since you are up there on the table, we have to assume you are ready to start the procedure. So, before you chicken out, just put on this gown. It ties in the back. Something to make you a little relaxed? Sorry, you need to be fully aware for the cleanse to be a success. Take a deep breath, and let's get started.
1. Examine Yourself
Sorry, the doctor might be able to help you, but you have to do most of the work yourself.
- What's wrong in your life now?
- Is it a relationship or your career?
- Are you living in the right environment or even the right city?
- In what ways is your life out-of-balance with who you really are?
Write down the values that are most important to you, and determine where your life is not in alignment with your values. Here's a link to an extensive list of values to help you.
2. Dig Even Deeper
While you are probing around in there, take this opportunity to learn as much about yourself as possible. Dig deep and discover what motivates and inspires you. Remind yourself of your gifts and skills. Ask yourself questions that coax your authenticity to the surface. Here are some actions you can take:
- Take a personality test. This is a great tool to help you understand your own desires, aptitudes and behaviors. Here's a great free personality assessment based on the Myers-Briggs formula.
- Write down your skills. You are probably taking many of them for granted. You can do many things that other people can't. Once you write down your skills, circle the ones that you really enjoy. We may be capable of many things, but we don't like to do all of them. Here's a good work skills checklist,and here's a great list of personal skills.
- Ask yourself questions. Any coach or counselor knows to ask probing questions that help you uncover what might be hidden behind your conscious awareness. Take a look at this list of self-discovery questions, and write down the answers as they come to you. You might need to work on this over several days as the answers begin to emerge.
3. Time for the Flush
As you look at your values, personality, and skills, you will see the impurities rise to the surface. Areas of your life that are out-of-balance with who you are and what you value will become painfully obvious. It's time to get rid of them. This is the hardest part of the procedure, because in spite of their negative affects, these impurities often are hard to release. Some things you may be able to flush away quickly, maybe a bad habit or a limiting belief. Others may take time and long-term planning — a career change for example. If you need help, find a coach or counselor, or even a trusted friend to support you through these changes.
4. One Step at a Time
A life colonic can take time. Don't attempt to force everything out during the first procedure. Start with a small change. Write an action plan to make that change and follow through on the actions until it's completed. Once you have had one successful elimination, the bigger purges won't be as daunting. Here's a goal setting kit to help you get started on taking action toward change.
5. Create a Healthier, Joyful Life
As you purge your life of your former self, start creating a new self based on what you have learned.
- What brings you joy and fulfillment?
- Where do you feel the most comfortable and authentic?
- What people support you and love the person you really are?
This is where you should invest most of your time and energy. A passionate, extraordinary life involves not only ridding yourself of toxic or useless actions and attitudes. It also requires filling your life with what you love and value.
Should you decide to undergo a life cleanse, it will be the best thing you've ever done for yourself. In fact, it will change your life forever. Will it hurt? Maybe a little. But the success rate is extraordinary. Search and cleanse your life today, and make room for all of the joy and passion that you deserve for the rest of your life.
If you want to really cleanse your life, please check out my friend Katie Tallo's brand new eBook, The 7-Week Life Cleanse, a simple guide to infusing your life with momentum and moving directly and passionately towards the life you want. The weekly worksheets and questions are your tools for change. They’ll open your awareness, easing you towards a sustainable plan for moving forward.