I'd love to change the world. But I don't know what to do. So I'll leave it up to you – Ten Years After
Can you relate to these song lyrics?
I think we’ve all thought about changing the world at one point or another.
Of course, as the song implies, while many of us are eager to make a difference, not a lot of us know where to start.
The good news is that change is very much possible, but like so many things in life – it doesn’t happen overnight.
Change is a process, one which requires a lot of dedication, effort and self-sacrifice. So, before you rush into this and start making plans for global revolution, try to keep in mind these two words:
And today, you’ll learn what you can do to improve the world by following these 75 simple steps.
Why you Must Change Yourself Before Changing the World
“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – Rumi
Tackling the world’s problems may sound exciting and, at certain points, absolutely necessary, but it’s also a great endeavor.
This doesn’t mean it’s impossible though; it only means that in order to change the world, we need to try a different approach.
Focusing your mind, energy and patience on changing yourself before trying to change the world can bring forth marvelous results.
As the famous Irish playwright, critic and polemicist, George Bernard Shaw writes: “Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
It is us who hold the power for change. But we need to begin with ourselves first before putting the burden of the world upon our shoulders.
The goal is to use these small challenges to better ourselves so we could tackle bigger obstacles later on.
But, how can I change the world by myself?
You lead by example.
By reminding yourself to be better and do better every single day, you’ll be able to inspire others to do the same. If you do at least one or two of these things continuously, you are making a difference.
Imagine implementing all 75 steps into your life. It’s pretty huge, right?
Now, imagine if every single person around the world would do the same.
That’s how change happens. This is how we change the world – one step at a time.
How to Change the World
1. Be kind to everyone you meet regardless of who they are
2. Don’t judge people – you never know what someone else is going through
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and give help in return
4. Be happy for others when they succeed
5. Believe in yourself and in others
6. Observe your mistakes as lessons not failures
7. Choose your words carefully – especially when angry
8. Stand up for those who need it most
9. Find time for yourself and your loved ones
10. Don’t take people for granted
11. Don’t compare yourself to others
12. Show people you love them with small tokens of appreciation
13. Tell people you love them
14. Learn to laugh at yourself
15. Don’t put others down to feel better about yourself
16. Be loyal to your friends and family
17. Don’t be afraid to show your true self
18. Keep in touch with old friends
19. Learn to make compromises
20. Always give 100% in whatever you’re doing
21. Don’t judge people by their job, education, race, religion or sexual orientation
23. Acknowledge your servers, taxi drivers and workers
24. Remember to be thankful for the things you have
25. Give handmade gifts for special occasions
26. Look people in the eyes when talking with them
27. Own your mistakes and apologize when needed
28. Don’t let pride get in the way of your happiness
29. Be polite and courteous to whomever you meet
30. Listen to others when they’re speaking to you
31. Try to focus on the present moment as much as you can
32. Spend money on experiences rather than material things
33. Choose carefully who you spend your time with
34. Spend time every single day expressing gratitude to others.
35. Find forgiveness in your heart – for both yourself and others
36. Challenge yourself every single day
37. Preserve your integrity in every aspect of your life
38. Always tell the truth no matter the consequences
39. Don’t wait for things to happen – make them happen
40. Spend time playing with your children
42. Every once in a while do something you’ve never done before
43. Do a random act of kindness every day
44. Surprise your significant other by cooking their favorite meal
45. Don’t forget anniversaries, birthdays and important holidays
46. Capture moments in your memory, not on your phone
47. Support a local cause however you can
48. Spend your free time volunteering
49. Support local vendors by buying your produce on farmer’s markets
50. Participate in Meatless Mondays
51. Use canvas bags instead of plastic ones
52. Plant a tree, a flower or a whole garden
53. Pick up litter after yourself and others
54. Support companies with fair-trade practices
55. Love someone unconditionally and unapologetically
56. Learn to be more empathetic
57. Donate the things you don’t need instead of hoarding them
58. Teach someone something new
59. Embrace your authenticity
60. Don’t talk only about yourself, allow others to speak too
61. Adopt or foster an animal
62. Donate blood if you’re able to
63. Learn how to express your emotions in a healthy, constructive way
64. Save water and energy as much as you can
65. Be patient and act intentionally
66. Don’t enforce your beliefs on others
67. Reconnect with your inner child
68. Be respectful of other people’s choices, even if you don’t agree with them
70. Offer help without expecting anything in return
71. Don’t turn a blind eye to injustice
72. Don’t take advantage of people and don’t let others take advantage of you
73. Go on an adventure every once in a while
74. Spend less time on social media and more with your loved ones
75. Smile when something good happens no matter how small
‘Be the change that you wish to see in the world.' – Gandhi
Changing the world isn’t just stopping world hunger or ending pollution; it’s all of that and so much more. We need to take action on a smaller scale before we start implementing changes that will affect others.
To change the world we need to change our attitudes, mindsets and everyday practices.
Once we accomplish that, we’ll be able to show others how to do the same. As the famous song goes: “We’re just a drop of water in an endless sea..”
Times pass. People change. But we can make a difference.
The question isn’t: How to Change the World?, but
What can I do every day to make my actions matter?
How can I make a difference?
In what ways can I improve my life and the lives of those around me?
The answers are right here.
So, what steps will you take today in order to change the world around you?