How to Lose 10 Pounds And Keep The Weight Off
Losing those extra ten pounds and achieving your ideal body weight can be daunting.
It feels like you have done everything to lose the weight, but when you look in the mirror, you still see that extra layer of stomach fat you've wanted to shed for so long.
You have said, “No,” to almost all unhealthy foods, and you exercise regularly.
So why is it still so hard to achieve your ideal body weight?
I lost some weight in the first few months of my goal timeline, but then I gained some back after several months. I felt frustrated and disappointed.
So eventually I slid back into my unhealthy habits, not caring about my weight anymore.
Then I bumped into an old college friend, and boy was I surprised at how fit and healthy he was. He had been overweight during our entire college years.
I was so inspired by his dedication and perseverance to lose weight that I decided to get back on track. I started to ask around and did some research on the best way to approach weight loss.
There are some very effective, proven ways to ensure you reach your weight loss goals and maintain them.
Here's how to lose 10 pounds and keep the weight the off:
1. Go for a walk three to four times a week.
Can you walk your way towards your ideal body weight? The answer is a resounding yes!
Losing weight doesn't necessarily require a hardcore exercise routine or an expensive exercise machine. A simple walking habit can help you lose those stubborn ten pounds.
Walking at least three to four times in a week will ensure that you keep the pounds off.
Walking not only helps you lose weight, but it also improves your overall health.
In addition to reducing body fat, it increases your cardiovascular fitness, boosts muscle power and endurance, and strengthens bones. Also, it reduces your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer and osteoporosis.
What’s great about walking is that, unlike other exercise routines, it doesn't require any equipment. You just need reliable and comfortable walking shoes, and you’re good to go. (Check these bestselling walking shoes for men and these for women.)
And of course, walking is absolutely free and does not require any special training.
Park a few meters away from your work or favorite grocery store, and walk your way through the rest of your destination.
2. Get sufficient sleep.
You’re on the last few episodes of your favorite TV series, so you want to stay up as late as you can just to finish the whole series.
While your curiosity about the season finale is satisfied, you are sacrificing valuable sleep time. Foregoing sleep for those who want to lose some pounds is a big no-no.
Can lack of sleep really make you gain weight instead of losing some? Yes, it can.
Not getting enough sleep results in being tired during the day. When you’re tired, you might get tempted to skip exercise, take naps, and make poor eating choices.
Sleep-deprived people also tend to indulge in late-night snacking and choose high-carb snacks compared to those who are well-rested.
When you lack sleep, your hunger and fullness hormones are also affected.
To have a better quality of sleep, try these simple steps:
- Try to get the ideal average amount of sleep — seven to eight hours.
- Turn off all electronic gadgets at least an hour before you go to bed.
- Establish a bedtime routine, like taking a warm bath, reading, or meditating.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and eating heavy meals close to bed time
- Keep your room cool, and make it as dark as possible.
- Use a sound machine to prevent noise disturbances.
Getting enough sleep every day stabilizes your metabolism, which helps you burn more fat as a result.
3. Exercise regularly.
There is no magic pill for instant weight loss.
You can't lose weight and keep it off without having a regular exercise routine. Physical activity helps you build muscle and burn more calories.
Not only does it help us lose weight, regular exercise reduces stress, helps prevent many health conditions and makes you feel better.
If your goal is to lose ten pounds in a month, do these two types of exercise:
- Squats: This strength-training exercise helps you lose weight by increasing your muscle mass. Your metabolism will speed up, and you'll be able to burn more calories if you have more muscle mass. Do at least three sets of fifteen repetitions every day to achieve optimal results.
- Circuit Training: This exercise is a combination of squats and walking and has been very effective in losing weight. Get a more complete workout done in a short time. To do circuit training, you can do five minutes of walking, then two sets of squats, followed by one minute of intense jump roping.
4. Eat a protein-based breakfast.
Breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day. Having a protein-based breakfast can help you lose weight and ensure that those pounds stay off.
A protein-packed breakfast can make you feel full longer and help you eat healthier food all day long.
Here are some simple high-protein breakfast ideas:
- A bowl of high protein, high fiber cereal with milk. Power it up by sprinkling an ounce of dry-roasted sunflower seeds for additional grams of protein as well as vitamin E.
- Nut butter on whole grain toast. Try two tablespoons of almond butter or peanut butter for an additional eight grams of protein to your meal.
- A serving of yogurt, which gives you about fourteen grams of protein. Add fiber rich berries, nuts, seeds or high protein cereal to make it even healthier.
5. Use smaller plates for all your meals.
You can help drop ten pounds off your weight simply by changing plates.
Yes, that’s right. Using smaller plates for all your meals not only helps you lose pounds, but also it ensures that those pounds stay off.
A scientific study shows that reducing your dinnerware size is an effective strategy for portion control.
Using smaller plates somehow tricks your brain into believing you are getting more with less.
It was discovered in the study that people serve themselves in proportion to the plate size. Reducing your plate size from twelve inches to ten inches typically results in 22% less calories being served, as the smaller plate makes a normal serving appear more filling
Consider using a salad plate for your meals rather than a larger dinner plate.
6. Eat an apple before dinner.
You all must be familiar with the saying, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” It can also be said that, “An apple before dinner keeps the pounds away.”
How can an apple aid you in weight loss?
Apples have non-digestible compounds that promote the growth of good bacteria in your gut that are associated with weight loss.
An apple contains a substance called pectin which is a soluble fiber that provides bulk and digests slowly, helping you to feel full. It also encourages weight loss because it helps limit the amount of fat cells you can absorb.
If you’re problem has been overeating or food cravings, an apple before dinner can make a big difference.
7. Drink green tea.
If you don't have a habit of drinking green tea every day, today is a great day to start.
Drinking green tea has been widely practiced for centuries, especially in Asia and Europe. Sipping a warm cup of green tea is proven to have many health benefits, one of which is aiding in weight loss.
Studies suggest that the caffeine and flavonoids found in green tea help increase fat oxidation and metabolic rate, as well as improving the activity of insulin.
One study showed that participants who drank green regularly tea lost an average of nearly three pounds in twelve weeks when they stuck to a regular diet.
Choose Matcha green tea as it is the type of green tea that has the highest content of nutrients and antioxidants, as the whole tea leaf is ground and consumed.
8. Drink plenty of water.
Stop reaching for a bottle of soda or flavored juice to quench your thirst. Instead, go for the ever reliable glass of water, especially if you want to shed some pounds.
Drinking more water will help you lose weight, as it cleanses your body of waste, boosts your metabolism, and acts as an appetite suppressant.
In addition, drinking plenty of water will help you get rid some of your water weight, because it helps your body stop retaining water.
It is recommended that you drink eight to ten glasses of water per day.
Here are some ways that you can use water to lose those unwanted pounds:
- Drink a full glass water before your meal to feel more full before eating.
- Say goodbye to calorie-filled drinks like juice and sodas, and replace them with water.
- Boost your metabolism by drinking ice cold water, as your body expends energy to bring the water to body temperature.
- Follow the “8×8” rule recommended by most nutritionist — drink eight eight-ounce glasses of water every day.
There is no shortcut to losing ten pounds in a healthy way. You will need to commit to some new habits to make it happen. By following the tips above, you will be on your way to losing ten pounds and keeping them off for good.
Alice Mackenzie is a professional blogger. She is an enthusiast who loves to write in several niches including health, fitness, health food, and weight loss supplements.