50 Mindfulness Quotes To Inspire Present Moment Awareness
Around the time I turned forty, I discovered I could draw.
I’d never had any artistic talent, or at least I didn’t think so, but it all came bubbling to the surface at midlife.
I’d read a book called The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron, and it inspired me to give drawing a try. I learned how to really see and render lines and shadows, rather than trying to duplicate a perfect replica of my subject.
I also learned to release judgment about myself and my artistic abilities and simply go with the flow of drawing.
This experience was my first real “ah ha” moment with mindfulness and meditation.
When I was drawing in this relaxed, non-judgmental state, I was completely focused and in the moment.
It was all about the pencil, the paper, and the practice of drawing. All worries and distractions fell away.
This is the essence of mindfulness.
You are fully present in right now. You are engaged in whatever you are doing.
You are no longer dwelling in the past or fretting about the future. Mindfulness ends suffering because the present moment is perfect (even when it’s not what you think you want).
You can get some good inspiration on being mindful and present with these mindfulness quotes we've put together for you.
The practice of mindfulness, through meditation, breathing, or any of the various ways you can practice presence, will make you a more contented, centered, and joyful person, even in the midst of your hectic daily life. (And if you'd like to learn more about mindful living, then I recommend checking out this post on mindfulness exercises.)
Here are 50 mindfulness quotes to inspire you to live in the present moment:
1. “When you realize nothing is lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~Lao Tzu
2. “Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future; live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh”
3. “As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.” ~Walter Landor
4. “Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn’t more complicated than that. It is opening to or receiving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.” ~Sylvia Boorstein
5. “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
6. “In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.” ~Eckhart Tolle
7. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” ~Dalai Lama
8. “Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different than they are.” ~Allan Lokos
9. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” ~Pema Chodron
10. “If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.” ~William Blake
11.”Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
12. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ~Amit Ray
13. “In the end, just three things matter: How well we have lived. How well we have loved. How well we have learned to let go” ~Jack Kornfield
14. “Do every act of your life as though it were the last act of your life.” ~Marcus Aurelius
15. “Everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality.” ~Robin S. Sharma
16. “Don’t believe everything you think. Thoughts are just that – thoughts.” ~Allan Lokos
17. “Respond; don’t react. Listen; don’t talk. Think; don’t assume.” ~Raji Lukkoor
18. “In this moment, there is plenty of time. In this moment, you are precisely as you should be. In this moment, there is infinite possibility.” ~Victoria Moran
19. “Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).” ~James Baraz
20. “Mindfulness isn’t difficult, we just need to remember to do it.” ~Sharon Salzberg
21. “It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest as if it was the only one we had.” ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
22. “Begin at once to live, and count each separate day as a separate life.” ~Seneca
23. “Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don’t open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.” ~Rumi
24. “I wish that life should not be cheap, but sacred. I wish the days to be as centuries, loaded, fragrant.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” ~Buddha
26. “Always hold fast to the present. Every situation, indeed every moment, is of infinite value, for it is the representative of a whole eternity.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
27. “The way to live in the present is to remember that ‘This too shall pass.’ When you experience joy, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ helps you savor the here and now. When you experience pain and sorrow, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ reminds you that grief, like joy, is only temporary.” ~Joey Green
Boost Your Confidence Daily
Want to feel more self-assured and motivated?
If so, then check out my FREE Report “99 Confidence Hacks To Massively Boost Your Confidence“.
Low confidence might be holding you back or infecting your relationships or work performance.
With these 99 Confidence Hacks, you’ll enjoy proven tips in ten key areas to give you clarity on your confidence roadblocks. You'll be able to challenge yourself to take small, manageable actions to boost your confidence.
Click here to download your report.
28. “If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” ~Rabbi Harold Kushner
29. “There’s only one reason why you’re not experiencing bliss at this present moment, and it’s because you’re thinking or focusing on what you don’t have…. But, right now you have everything you need to be in bliss.” ~Anthony de Mello
30. “Our own worst enemy cannot harm us as much as our unwise thoughts. No one can help us as much as our own compassionate thoughts.” ~Buddha
31. “Observe the space between your thoughts, then observe the observer.” ~Hamilton Boudreaux
32. “The practice of mindfulness begins in the small, remote cave of your unconscious mind and blossoms with the sunlight of your conscious life, reaching far beyond the people and places you can see.” ~Earon Davis
33. “Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the small uncaring ways.” ~Stephen Vincent Benet
34. “As long as we have practiced neither concentration nor mindfulness, the ego takes itself for granted and remains its usual normal size, as big as the people around one will allow.” ~Ayya Khema
35. “Impermanence is a principle of harmony. When we don’t struggle against it, we are in harmony with reality.” ~Pema Chodron
36. “The basic root of happiness lies in our minds; outer circumstances are nothing more than adverse or favorable.” ~Matthieu Ricard
37. “The mind in its natural state can be compared to the sky, covered by layers of cloud which hide its true nature.” ~Kalu Rinpoche
38. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” ~Dalai Lama
39. “If one were truly aware of the value of human life, to waste it blithely on distractions and the pursuit of vulgar ambitions would be the height of confusion.” ~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
40. “Knowledge does not mean mastering a great quantity of different information, but understanding the nature of mind. This knowledge can penetrate each one of our thoughts and illuminate each one of our perceptions.” ~Matthieu Ricard
41. “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
12 Of The Best Meditation Apps
42. “We are awakened to the profound realization that the true path to liberation is to let go of everything.” ~Jack Kornfield
43. “To diminish the suffering of pain, we need to make a crucial distinction between the pain of pain, and the pain we create by our thoughts about the pain. Fear, anger, guilt, loneliness and helplessness are all mental and emotional responses that can intensify pain.” ~Howard Cutler
44. “Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing.” ~Pema Chodron
45. “Why, if we are as pragmatic as we claim, don’t we begin to ask ourselves seriously: Where does our real future lie?” ~Sogyal Rinpoche
46. “Envy and jealousy stem from the fundamental inability to rejoice at someone else’s happiness or success.” ~Matthieu Ricard
47. “By breaking down our sense of self-importance, all we lose is a parasite that has long infected our minds. What we gain in return is freedom, openness of mind, spontaneity, simplicity, altruism: all qualities inherent in happiness.” ~Matthieu Ricard
48. “Our lives are lived in intense and anxious struggle, in a swirl of speed and aggression, in competing, grasping, possessing and achieving, forever burdening ourselves with extraneous activities and preoccupations.” ~Sogyal Rinpoche
49. “Mindful and creative, a child who has neither a past, nor examples to follow, nor value judgments, simply lives, speaks and plays in freedom.” ~Arnaud Desjardins
50. “We have only now, only this single eternal moment opening and unfolding before us, day and night.” ~Jack Kornfield
I hope you’ll use these quotes to inspire mindfulness in your daily life. Remember, the only reality is the present moment. The past is dead and the future hasn’t happened. Your entire life is in this moment.
More Related Articles:
Did you find any value from these mindfulness quotes?
I hope you enjoyed these quotes on mindfulness. I hope you'll use these meditation quotes to help you in your daily life. Which mindfulness quotes were the more positive and inspirational for you?
Would you like to encourage others?
It would be really great if you could help me spread these mindful quotes to others. Would you be willing to send out some love to your friends and family? Please share these daily mindful quotes on your preferred social media platform.