Here is the essence of mindfulness: You are fully present right now. You are engaged in whatever you are doing.
You are no longer dwelling in the past or fretting about the future. Your mind is able to notice and observe whatever is happening in a non-judgmental way.
Mindfulness ends suffering because the present moment is perfect when you accept it without evaluating it.
We hope you'll be mindful and fully present with these mindfulness quotes we've put together for you. Use them to inspire your meditation practice or to be more engaged in daily life.
The practice of mindfulness, through meditation, breathing, or any of the various ways you can practice presence, will make you a more contented, centered, and joyful person, even in the midst of your hectic daily life. (And if you'd like to learn more about mindful living, then I recommend checking out this post on mindfulness exercises.)
71 Mindfulness Quotes To Inspire Present Moment Awareness
Are you review these quotes about mindfulness, first read them to yourself. Then read them out loud and focus on the meaning of the words and how they can influence your daily life.
Daily Mindfulness Quotes
The power of mindfulness increases when you intentionally practice it every day. Being mindful is like a muscle that needs regular exercise to become stronger.
It's not easy to stay present all day, every day. But as you practice each day, you'll find that repeated mindfulness exercises make it more automatic to be in the moment.
In this section, you'll find quotes to inspire daily mindfulness or that you can use as mindful thoughts of the day.
1. “When you realize nothing is lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” ~Lao Tzu
2. “Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves – slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future; live the actual moment. Only this moment is life.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh”
3. “As soon as we wish to be happier, we are no longer happy.” ~Walter Landor
4. “Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience. It isn’t more complicated than that. It is opening to or receiving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is, without either clinging to it or rejecting it.” ~Sylvia Boorstein
5. “The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
6. “In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.” ~Eckhart Tolle
7. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” ~Dalai Lama
8. “Suffering usually relates to wanting things to be different than they are.” ~Allan Lokos
9. “If we learn to open our hearts, anyone, including the people who drive us crazy, can be our teacher.” ~Pema Chodron
10. “If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.” ~William Blake
11.”Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Mindful Living Quotes
Do you want to make mindfulness part of your life for the rest of your life? When you center everything you do around being a mindful person, you'll notice the quality of your everyday experiences improves dramatically.
In this section, you'll find quotes about mindful living and mindful thinking to help you prioritize present moment awareness as your guiding force.
12. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ~Amit Ray
13. “In the end, just three things matter: How well we have lived. How well we have loved. How well we have learned to let go” ~Jack Kornfield
14. “Do every act of your life as though it were the last act of your life.” ~Marcus Aurelius
15. “Everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality.” ~Robin S. Sharma
16. “Don’t believe everything you think. Thoughts are just that – thoughts.” ~Allan Lokos
17. “Respond; don’t react. Listen; don’t talk. Think; don’t assume.” ~Raji Lukkoor
18. “In this moment, there is plenty of time. In this moment, you are precisely as you should be. In this moment, there is infinite possibility.” ~Victoria Moran
19. “Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).” ~James Baraz
20. “Mindfulness isn’t difficult, we just need to remember to do it.” ~Sharon Salzberg
21. “It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest as if it was the only one we had.” ~Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
22. “Begin at once to live, and count each separate day as a separate life.” ~Seneca
23. “Today, like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don’t open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down a musical instrument.” ~Rumi
24. “I wish that life should not be cheap, but sacred. I wish the days to be as centuries, loaded, fragrant.” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mindfulness Meditation Quotes
A daily meditation practice can be an anchor for developing mindfulness. Mindfulness meditation involves focused breathing, noticing and redirecting your thoughts, and quieting your body and mind.
You can use these daily meditation quotes to begin your meditation practice and center yourself before you start. Or you can choose to meditate on the subject of each meditation quote.
25. “Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” ~Buddha
26. “Always hold fast to the present. Every situation, indeed every moment, is of infinite value, for it is the representative of a whole eternity.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
27. “The way to live in the present is to remember that ‘This too shall pass.’ When you experience joy, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ helps you savor the here and now. When you experience pain and sorrow, remembering that ‘This too shall pass’ reminds you that grief, like joy, is only temporary.” ~Joey Green
Boost Your Confidence Daily
Want to feel more self-assured and motivated?
If so, then check out my FREE Report “99 Confidence Hacks To Massively Boost Your Confidence“.
Low confidence might be holding you back or infecting your relationships or work performance.
With these 99 Confidence Hacks, you’ll enjoy proven tips in ten key areas to give you clarity on your confidence roadblocks. You'll be able to challenge yourself to take small, manageable actions to boost your confidence.
28. “If you concentrate on finding whatever is good in every situation, you will discover that your life will suddenly be filled with gratitude, a feeling that nurtures the soul.” ~Rabbi Harold Kushner
29. “There’s only one reason why you’re not experiencing bliss at this present moment, and it’s because you’re thinking or focusing on what you don’t have…. But, right now you have everything you need to be in bliss.” ~Anthony de Mello
30. “Our own worst enemy cannot harm us as much as our unwise thoughts. No one can help us as much as our own compassionate thoughts.” ~Buddha
31. “Observe the space between your thoughts, then observe the observer.” ~Hamilton Boudreaux
32. “The practice of mindfulness begins in the small, remote cave of your unconscious mind and blossoms with the sunlight of your conscious life, reaching far beyond the people and places you can see.” ~Earon Davis
33. “Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the small uncaring ways.” ~Stephen Vincent Benet
34. “As long as we have practiced neither concentration nor mindfulness, the ego takes itself for granted and remains its usual normal size, as big as the people around one will allow.” ~Ayya Khema
35. “Impermanence is a principle of harmony. When we don’t struggle against it, we are in harmony with reality.” ~Pema Chodron
36. “The basic root of happiness lies in our minds; outer circumstances are nothing more than adverse or favorable.” ~Matthieu Ricard
37. “The mind in its natural state can be compared to the sky, covered by layers of cloud which hide its true nature.” ~Kalu Rinpoche
38. “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.” ~Dalai Lama
39. “If one were truly aware of the value of human life, to waste it blithely on distractions and the pursuit of vulgar ambitions would be the height of confusion.” ~Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
40. “Knowledge does not mean mastering a great quantity of different information, but understanding the nature of mind. This knowledge can penetrate each one of our thoughts and illuminate each one of our perceptions.” ~Matthieu Ricard
41. “The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
42. “We are awakened to the profound realization that the true path to liberation is to let go of everything.” ~Jack Kornfield
43. “To diminish the suffering of pain, we need to make a crucial distinction between the pain of pain, and the pain we create by our thoughts about the pain. Fear, anger, guilt, loneliness and helplessness are all mental and emotional responses that can intensify pain.” ~Howard Cutler
44. “Things falling apart is a kind of testing and also a kind of healing.” ~Pema Chodron
45. “Why, if we are as pragmatic as we claim, don’t we begin to ask ourselves seriously: Where does our real future lie?” ~Sogyal Rinpoche
46. “Envy and jealousy stem from the fundamental inability to rejoice at someone else’s happiness or success.” ~Matthieu Ricard
47. “By breaking down our sense of self-importance, all we lose is a parasite that has long infected our minds. What we gain in return is freedom, openness of mind, spontaneity, simplicity, altruism: all qualities inherent in happiness.” ~Matthieu Ricard
48. “Our lives are lived in intense and anxious struggle, in a swirl of speed and aggression, in competing, grasping, possessing and achieving, forever burdening ourselves with extraneous activities and preoccupations.” ~Sogyal Rinpoche
49. “Mindful and creative, a child who has neither a past, nor examples to follow, nor value judgments, simply lives, speaks and plays in freedom.” ~Arnaud Desjardins
50. “We have only now, only this single eternal moment opening and unfolding before us, day and night.” ~Jack Kornfield
Mindfulness Quotes for Work
There's no place like your job that requires you to be calm and centered. Start your day with these mindfulness sayings — or better yet, use them as Mindful Monday quotes to start your week on the right foot.
Post your favorite on your computer to remind you to stay present and focused throughout your work day so you minimize stress and distraction.
51. “Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know.” – Pema Chödrön
52. “Restore your attention or bring it to a new level by dramatically slowing down whatever you’re doing.” ― Sharon Salzberg
53. “Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it.” – Eckhart Tolle
54. “This isn’t just “another day, another dollar.” It’s more like “another day, another miracle.” ― Victoria Moran
55. “Concentration is a cornerstone of mindfulness practice. Your mindfulness will only be as robust as the capacity of your mind to be calm and stable. Without calmness, the mirror of mindfulness will have an agitated and choppy surface and will not be able to reflect things with any accuracy.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
56. “Use every distraction as an object of meditation and they cease to be distractions.” – Mingyur Rinpoche
57. “Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.”- Chuang
58. “If you miss the present moment, you miss your appointment with life. That is very serious!”– Thich Nhat Hanh
59. “The key is not to prioritize what’s on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.” ~ Stephen Covey
60. “Be happy in the moment, that’s enough. Each moment is all we need, not more.” – Mother Teresa
61. “Mindfulness is about love and loving life. When you cultivate this love, it gives you clarity and compassion for life, and your actions happen in accordance with that.” Jon Kabat-Zinn
Mindful Eating Quotes
Do you pay attention to what you eat? Do you notice the aromas and textures of your food? Eating mindfully not only means choosing your foods with thought and care but also savoring the preparation and consumption of your meals.
These quotes about mindful eating will remind you to slow down and enjoy the process of cooking and relishing your meals.
62. “When you bow, you should just bow; when you sit, you should just sit; when you eat, you should just eat.” – Shunryu Suzuki
63. “There’s a reason you eat the way that you do. Start with compassion and be open to the possibility of change.” – Melissa McCreery
64. “One should eat to live, not live to eat.” -Benjamin Franklin
65. “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” -Virginia Woolf
66. “Training your mind to be in the present moment is the #1 key to making healthier choices.”– Susan Albers
67. “Every moment nature is serving fresh dishes with the items of happiness. It is our choice to recognize and taste it.”– Amit Ray
68. “Understanding our relationship to eating cultivates a lot of insights and help us start living our highest potential.”– Natasa Pantovic
69. “We're wasting time counting calories instead of becoming the president.” — Cadence Dubus
70. “Mindful eating is eating with intention while paying attention.” – Kati Konersman
71. “Mindful eating is a way to become reacquainted with the guidance of our internal nutritionist.” – Jan Chozen Bays
More Related Articles:
How will you use these mindfulness quotes?
We hope you enjoyed these quotes on mindfulness and will use them in your daily efforts to be more mindful and present in everything you do.
You can choose a mindfulness quote of the day to write in your journal or to start your meditation. Or you might collect a list of morning meditation quotes to begin your day on a positive note. Use the mindful eating quotes to help you become more aware and grateful for the food you consume.
The quotes alone won't improve your ability to be more present with your experiences, thoughts, and relationships. Put the ideas into daily action and connect more deeply with the world inside and around you.