When you’re feeling lost in life, it helps to read the words of those who’ve been where you are.
We’ve put together a powerful selection of feeling lost quotes to remind you that you’re not alone and to help you find and create more meaning in your life.
Keep your favorites visible in one or more of the following ways:
- Have a mug created with a favorite quote and use it often.
- Write a favorite quote on your bathroom mirror with lipstick or a dry-erase marker.
- Write quotes on whiteboards around your home and workspace.
- Create a poster or desktop wallpaper featuring a quote with an inspiring image.
Being lost or feeling as though your life has no meaning doesn’t make you a freak or doom you to a life of pointless suffering.
You’re simply aware of the difference between the life you’re living now and life as you think it should be.
Sometimes you have to change things to better fit your idea of life as it should be.
And sometimes you have to change your idea.
Chances are, you’ll end up doing some of both.
Why not get started today?
19 Feeling Lost Quotes To Help You Get Back On Track
Read on to find your new favorite quotes about feeling lost.
Let one of them inspire you to take a step in a new direction today.
Even the smallest steps matter, as long as you keep taking them.
1. “To get lost is to learn the way.”
— African proverb
What you thought kept you grounded and happy before you lost it might just have been keeping you from finding your way.
2. “If you are working on something you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.” — Steve Jobs
When you feel lost in your work, everything about it is a slog. But when you have a larger vision for the outcome, you’re inspired, energized, and motivated to keep going.
3. “The fears we don’t face become our limits.”
— Amy Elizabeth
Let fear of rejection, failure, or pain keep you from doing something you want, and it becomes your prison; face it, and the walls disappear.
If you keep yourself blinded to the truth of your situation, you can’t do anything to improve it.
At some point, the pain of remaining as we are — when we know we’re stuck — becomes greater than the pain we risk in order to grow.
6. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” — Maya Angelou
It’s good to acknowledge when something is wrong, but it’s not enough; if something needs changing, do something to change it.
The happiest see the good even in unpleasant people and situations. And when they see nothing good, they add it.
8. “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” — Henry David Thoreau
Feeling lost may be exactly what will lead you to self-knowledge and a better way to live.
9. “You can’t start the next chapter if you keep rereading the last.” — Unknown
If you’re focused on the past, you’re not looking forward. And you’ll keep recreating what’s familiar and feels safe.
10. “Feeling lost? Good! Now you get to walk new paths that lead to much better places.” — Robin S. Sharma
Feeling lost may just be your biggest catalyst for growth, igniting your sense of adventure and leading you to new experiences.
Everyone feels lost sometimes; what matters is how we respond to that feeling. Use it to question what is familiar and to broaden your perspective.
Sometimes we crave company only as protection from the uncomfortable thoughts that challenge us.
13. “Feeling lost? Take a dream and convert it into small goals, then start taking the steps to hit those goals.” — Dave Ramsey
If you’re feeling stuck and as if your life has no meaning, find meaning in the things you love or are passionate about.
A complacent person does none of these things. Or if he does anything useful, it is by accident.
When you’re feeling bored, you know something is missing; that something is usually meaning or a sense of purpose or direction.
16. “Not all who wander are lost.”
— J.R.R. Tolkien
We’re not born doing what we later become capable of doing. Give yourself the time and space you need to wander, experience new things, and explore possibilities.
17. “New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings.” — Lao Tzu
At the end of something we’ve counted on for our sense of belonging, we feel lost. But that ending can be the beginning of something better.
18. “How can I go forward when I don’t know which way I’m facing?” — John Lennon
It’s easier to focus on the past than on moving forward. If what your facing looks familiar and limiting, turn around.
19. “Embrace the glorious mess that you are.”
— Elizabeth Gilbert
We’re all a mess on the inside. We’re all trying to sort things out, and we all make mistakes as we go. Learn from those mistakes, forgive yourself and others, and keep going.
More Related Articles:
What is your favorite feeling lost quote?
When you feel lost, revisit these quotes and choose one that reminds you of something you’d forgotten.
We all forget important things — about who we are, about what others have done for us, and about why we do what we do.
We forget to be grateful for the good in our lives, and we forget to stop what we’re doing and savor simple pleasures — like the wind in the trees, the sound of rain on the rooftop, or the smell of our favorite dinner.
If you’re feeling lost, it may be in part because you’re too busy rushing from one thing to the next. You have so much to do, there’s no time left to pause and enjoy any of it.
That way leads to burnout. And you were born to live — not just to do things.
So, slow down and live. And may your resilience and curiosity influence everything you do today.