Ten Mental Shifts to Dramatically Improve Your Life
Author, speaker and coach extraordinaire Steve Chandler writes about mind shifting in his book Shift Your Mind, Shift The World. He suggests that by tweaking your way of thinking, you can turn your life around completely. He knows because it happened to him.
He went from being an alcoholic life-reactor to being a creator of his life.
He has since written more than twenty books and is a highly sought-after speaker and corporate coach.
Here's what he says about shifting your thoughts: “When the mind is open, it will shift. When that happens all of life becomes, momentarily, light as a feather. Light as a breeze. Beautiful! You go up to the next level of consciousness, and creativity, energy, vibration — whatever you want, you've got it.”
A change in focus, a mind shift, can have extraordinary power in making relationships more positive and healthy; improving your focus and rate of success; and building self-esteem and overall happiness.
So what are these incredible, life-altering shifts, and how do you open your mind to make them happen? In my humble opinion, it takes two factors to open the mind: awareness and timing.
Awareness can happen because we want it or because it is forced upon us.
There are some people (like Steve Chandler) who are always trolling for ways to grow and improve their lives. They want to be aware and strive to keep their minds open. Sometimes, however, awareness hits us on the head like a brick, and our minds have to be cracked open. Big life events like a death, job loss, or a relationship break-up, can shock us into awareness.
Timing plays a role too. Sometimes the circumstances in our lives temporarily prevent us from making a shift.
For example, maybe we know we're in the wrong job, but we need to bide our time while finishing an important project. But occasionally the timing is so absolutely ripe for a shift that it's virtually inevitable. It falls on us like grace.
If you are in a state of willing awareness right now, then think about these ten mind shifts and whether the timing is right to embrace them in your life.
1. Shift away from the feeling or mindset that you don't have enough. Instead, focus on a sense of gratitude for everything you have right now.
2. Rather than allowing problems to erupt with unexpected frequency, create your life to minimize the possibility of problems. When problems do arise, seek the gift or opportunity in the situation rather than fixating on the pain or difficulty.
3. Instead of just getting by or accepting the status quo, create a healthy reserve of time, love, money and space.
4. Accept that you had a lot to do with the problems and disturbances in your life rather than resisting or denying them. Acceptance of this fact is the first step to resolving these situations.
5. Shift from doubting yourself and your judgment to trusting your inklings, intuition and wisdom.
6. Choose to be fully alive and engaged in life. Let go of passive complacency and push past the fear of change. Embrace change as the path to a better life.
7. Rather than waiting for someone or something to push you forward, take the initiative. Be the cause. Actively create your life.
8. Become healthfully selfish about your life rather than always putting others first. Make sure your needs are met so you have the energy to give back.
9. Stop talking or reading about a better life. Take action and live a better life.
10. Drop the story about yourself that holds you back. Pretend that you have no memory of past failures or hurts. Recreate yourself every day. Just be the person you want to be without the yoke of the past.