Himalayan salt lamps provide a relaxing, beautiful ambiance during your daily meditation practice — as well as a gorgeous glow.
You can use them in place of candles, which can be hazardous if forgotten or unattended.
Whether you’d like to use your lamp as an accent piece or tool for your meditation, there are countless benefits to salt lamps.
With so many Himalayan salt lamps online and in-store, how do you know which to buy?
And better yet, what factors should you consider before purchasing? What really makes a good salt lamp?
If you don’t have time to scour the internet in search of the best lamp –I don’t blame you! I’ve done the work for you and will review a variety of salt lamps on the market.
Find out which made the list, which is best for your individual needs, and what I have chosen as the top Himalayan salt lamp for 2018.
What is the History of Salt?
Salt has been used in medicinal and wellness practices throughout time, in areas like Greece, Rome, China, and Egypt. Salt bathing was believed to cure many ailments, as well as aching muscles and other pains.
Salt was also used to pay people due to its value in ancient times; in fact, the word “salary” comes from the salt. Salt is represented in almost every culture and religion as a symbol of purity.
The compound has also been used in food preservation, allowing travel before refrigeration and promoting exploration into new territories.
Mines producing salt touch all corners of the world, such as West Africa, Russia, Italy, Turkey, Syracuse, NY and more.
Today, many still flock to salt baths and spas due to the high salinity and mineral composition that they believe detoxifies air, skin, and impurities.
The cosmetic industry is booming with items composed with crude salt – from mud compresses and saline solutions to scrubs for the body.
What is Himalayan Salt?
Himalayan salt, also referred to as pink salt, is salt mined from the Punjab region of Pakistan, where it is mined by hand. Having originated during the pre-Cambrian Age (millions of years ago), the salt lay hidden in beds, once covered by volcanic lava.
The salt is believed to contain up to 84 more minerals and nutrients than your average table salt, but the health benefits associated with consuming the Himalayan salt are disputed.
The undeniable aspect of Himalayan salt is that it is unrefined and quite beautiful. Many people enjoy the salt due to its stunning and unusual colors that are completely natural.
Related: mindfulness/mindfulness-meditation”>Mindfulness Meditation: The Path To Inner Peace And Health
The hues range from pinks and browns to vibrant oranges. These beautiful colors are one of the reasons the public has gained a fascination with and enjoys using the salt rocks as lamps in-home as lighting or meditation tools.
Discover the many benefits of using your own salt lamp for practicing meditation.
Why Use a Himalayan Salt Lamp for Meditation?
Himalayan salt lamps can be used as the focal point of your daily meditation routine, similar to a candle meditation. Be sure you turn off the lights so you can focus directly on the lamp.
The hypnotic glow of the lamp can help you more easily relax into a meditative state. The lamp is made of natural materials, and therefore reflects a natural light that is not harsh or overly manufactured — perfect for diffusing overpowering energy.
Focusing on the warm glow will also assist in clearing your mind, as well as create a blank canvas to explore your inner thoughts, where you choose to actively or passively meditate.
Salt lamps provide a calming accent to set a relaxing mood in any room, which will enhance your meditation experience, and allow you to focus on only your inner thoughts.
After purchasing your salt lamp, you can place as many as you like in your meditation space as accents, or place in a central location to be your main focal point. You can create a beautiful, unique meditation space with your salt lamp as a centerpiece on your meditation table.
What to Consider Before Purchasing
There are many additional benefits to owning a Himalayan salt lamp, from aesthetic to well-being.
Some people claim these lamps can improve air quality, boost your mood and energy levels, and help ease the symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) or depression — although these claims have not been scientifically proven.
However, whether you are using your lamp as part of your meditation routine, to reduce blue light intake at night, or as accent lighting to help set the mood of a room, there are a few things to consider when shopping for the perfect lamp.
The popularity of Himalayan salt has skyrocketed in recent times, meaning that there are plenty of lamps on the market to choose from.
Here are some things to consider:
- Determine if the lamp is safe and made by a reputable manufacturer. Ensure that wires, dimmers, bulbs and any other electrical components are ETL or UL listed.
- Check recalls to ensure you are not buying a faulty product.
- Make sure it's the real deal. If a salt for the lamp is mined from any area outside of Pakistan, some users consider these to be forgeries. If you want the real deal, ensure that your lamp’s salt rock was mined in the Himalayan region of Pakistan, and know how to spot a fake.
- Decide how you will be using the salt lamp. Will you only use it for meditation, or will it serve as a bedside light as well? If you are using it solely as a focal point in meditation, you could suffice with a smaller lamp. If you’d like to use it as a light in your home, too, you probably need a larger, brighter lamp that takes a bulb with higher wattage.
- Do you need outlets? If you will be taking your salt lamp room-to-room or practicing meditation somewhere without outlets, you may want to consider buying one that is battery- or USB-operated, or that has an extra long cord.
- Decide on bulb color. Many Himalayan salt lamps have multi-color bulb options. Changing the color of your lighting can create different moods and environments, depending on what you would like to achieve during your practice for the day.
Here are the 6 Best Himalayan Salt Lamps For 2018
While there are a number of factors to consider before choosing which lamp to buy, you don’t have to purchase a variety to find out.
Think about the information outlined above, as well as your budget (salt lamps can range from very expensive to reasonable), and your intended use.
Then continue reading to learn more about the top picks and which salt lamp will work best for you.
This lamp is an Amazon Choice product and has over 12,000 customer reviews.
The Himalayan Glow lamp offers customers a beautiful amber glow and 6 feet cord with ETL listed dimmer, complete with a twisting knob.
Himalayan Glow offers lamps ranging from 3 to 15 pounds, at a price point between $18 and $40. The base of this salt lamp is made from beautiful neem wood, a fragrant and natural bug-repelling material.
- A range of sizes and prices
- Termite and bug-free wood base
- Twisting knob for dimmer
- Some reviewers complain of fire hazard
- No backup bulbs included
- User said lamp leaks liquid
Another Amazon Choice product, the Mineralamp Natural Himalayan Hand Carved Salt Lamp is available in two different sizes, ranging from $18.49 to $24.99.
With the ETL-Listed-Compliant dimmer switch included, you can control the brightness of the warm, orange glow. Each lamp is handcrafted using 100% pure Himalayan salt and comes with an Indian Rosewood base.
- Base of the lamp is solid and sturdy Indian rosewood
- Light is very bright, but dimmer knob allows for use as night light
- Does not come with replacement bulbs
- Users have reported melting and faulty bulbs
- Manufacturer does not offer free returns and no warranty information is listed
Majestic Pure offers their customers Himalayan salt mined from Khewra, Pakistan – “the only source of true Himalayan salt.” This is another Amazon Choice product.
The lamp’s electrical components are UL listed, meaning they not only meet the standards but set them.
The lamp measures approximately 11 inches tall and 7 inches wide, and weighs 9 pounds.
At $25, this lamp is at a great price point for being verified safe with these dimensions.
- Comes with 3 bulbs total (2 extra)
- One user says it isn’t too hot to touch
- Heavy, superior quality with 96% five-star reviews
- One user stated the dimmer arrived faulty and the manufacturer would not replace
- Spantik Himalayan Salt Lamp with Dimmer Switch Cord
Weighing in at just 5.29 lbs, the Spantik Himalayan Salt Lamp with Dimmer Switch Cord is hand chipped using Himalayan salt from Pakistan.
The power cord measures 6 feet and has a dimmable switch, allowing you to control the intensity of your room’s lighting. Priced at $19.99, this straightforward, no-frills lamp includes a money back guarantee from the manufacturer.
- Dimmer switch cord is UL-certified
- 98% five-star reviews
- “Worry-free guarantee and hassle-free returns” offered by the manufacturer
- Replacement bulbs not included
- User reported poor quality bulb
An Amazon Choice product, the stainless steel based, Levoit Elora Himalayan Salt Lamp is available in two different sizes; 8-11 lbs and 11-15 lbs.
The Safer Touch Dimmer Switch allows you to control the ambiance of your lamp’s glow. This lamp ranges from $29.99 to $46.99 and is made with authentic Himalayan rock from Pakistan.
- Adjustable brightness
- Come with two replacement bulbs
- Two-year warranty and 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed
- Some customers claimed lamp was small compared to other lamps of similar weight
- Customers have reported the lamps sweat and make a mess
The inexpensive, small salt lamp from Crystal Decor is budget-friendly yet effective and is also an Amazon Choice product.
The company offers a 90-day money-back guarantee, ensuring customer happiness.
This salt rock measures 6 inches and weighs between 6 and 7 pounds. This multipurpose light can function as a meditation piece or nightlight due to its compact size.
- Great customer service
- Too small to emit enough light for reading
- User says it could have been packaged better and bulb arrived shattered
- Not dimmable
The overall conclusion is that the Levoit Elora Himalayan Salt Lamp is the best quality salt lamp (and bang for your buck).
While it costs slightly more than other lamps, the 2-year warranty and great customer service will ensure you are getting your money’s worth.
You can safely use the product for years, and the company verifies it is faultless through their guarantee to customers. The stainless steel base is sanitary and easy to clean.
The range in size and pricing options allows new customers to buy a less expensive, smaller lamp if they would like, and eventually graduate to the larger, pricier version if they love their purchase.
A combination of factors, from the natural beauty of the lamp to its certifications and verified origins, make this the perfect Himalayan salt lamp for beginners and experienced practitioners across the board.
Enjoy peace of mind using this salt lamp as an added feature to your studio space, or as a beautiful focal point to concentrate your energy and thoughts on.