Shake Up Your Weekend: 25 Ways To Beat Winter Doldrums and Have Unmitigated Fun
What do you have before you this weekend? Maybe you have to take down the tree and put away holiday decorations. You probably have things to clean and organize, bills to pay, errands and other mind-numbing, boring tasks to take care of. It's the start of the year, so of course you have to get started on that to-do list. Chop, chop! Time's a-wasting.
Well, here's a bold idea. Screw all that! Let's go have fun this weekend.
It is the weekend after all, and you have the rest of the year to work on those tasks. They'll keep on reproducing like bunnies anyway. I know these are strange words coming from a coach, but I firmly believe that fun is way underrated for us high-achieving, goal oriented grown-ups. Fun is essential for a balanced, healthy life. And you have to make it happen because work is a greedy, insatiable creature if you don't tame it.
OK, so carve out a few hours to get the “must-do” stuff done. But this weekend, don't let those tasks grow wild like kudzu and overtake a perfectly good opportunity for having some soul lifting, body shaking, mind bending fun. This is the weekend — let's rejoice and be glad in it!
Here are 25 ideas for fun things to do to shake up your weekend. Come on now! Pick at least one of them and go have good time.
1. Go out dancing. When was the last time you did that? It's great exercise and loads of fun. If your man won't go with you, get a group of women together and you'll have a blast. If your woman won't go with you, um . . . maybe pick something else on the list. Here are the top 100 dance clubs in the U.S.
2. Take a hike. If the weather is decent, put on your hiking boots and spend some time in nature. Winter hikes provide an entirely different vista with the leaves off the trees. The stark beauty of winter is incredible. Here's a list by state of some great places to hike.
3. Go to a museum, planetarium, aquarium, or exhibit. If you live in a reasonably-sized city, you have plenty of options. If not, make a day trip out of traveling to the nearest city for some educational adventure. Here's a list of U.S. museums. Scroll down for a list of planeteriums, aquariums and other attractions.
4. Have a pajama party brunch. Invite some friends over for brunch — but they have to wear their pajamas! No make-up or showers allowed. Build a fire, put on the coffee, turn on the jazz, and enjoy a relaxing morning with friends. Try out this recipe for Baked French Toast. Yum!
5. Go on an antiquing adventure. It's time for a treasure hunt. Find some local antique stores or better yet, go for a drive into the country where finds are cheaper and the scenery is different. Take some cash so you can barter!
6. Play a marathon game. Set up a game on Saturday morning and keep it going all weekend long. Our family loves a game that has lots of strategy and a bit of luck called The Settlers of Catan.
7. Go to a jazz or blues club. Get dressed up and go with someone special to hear some great music. Buy a jazz CD after the show, and play it the rest of the weekend. Here's a list of jazz clubs in the U.S.
8. Get a massage. OMG!! This is the total indulgence. Do this toward the end of the day. Otherwise you will be a boneless slug and get nothing else done. There is only one thing I can think of that is better than a massage. 🙂
9. Do that one other thing mentioned above. Why not? You have all weekend. What could be more fun, more relaxing, or pleasurable? And it's free. Before the jazz. After the massage. Out in the woods. So many options.
10. Take a bike ride. Fill a thermos with hot soup, coffee, or hot chocolate. Grab a water bottle and a blanket. Shove it all in your backpack and hop on your bike. Bring a friend. Take a long ride, then stop for a warm snack before you head home.
11. Build a fire and roast marshmallows. You can do this inside or outside. You might as well make s'mores while you're at it. Why waste a good roasted marshmallow?
12. Make a huge pot of chili or soup and watch the game. There must be games on this weekend, right? Make an occasion out of it. Buy some beer and invite a few friends over. Now you have a party.
13. Book a hotel room for a night. Get away from the house entirely. No temptations to do chores. Just you and your hotel pal practicing number 9 and getting room service.
14. Have a wine tasting — or go to one. Hosting one at your home is easy and a great way to get people to bring you wine! Or you can go out to a wine tasting dinner. Here are some ideas on hosting a home wine tasting.
15. Go to the theatre or ballet. Haven't you had enough football and sitcoms? Time for a little cultural infusion. Performing artists are struggling right now in this economy, so go support the arts!
16. Rent a cabin in the mountains for the weekend. This is the cheapest time of year to go. Be sure it has a hot tub. Take a bottle of champagne. Nothing like sitting in the hot tub in freezing weather, drinking bubbly in the mountains. Take a good book.
17. Go to a pet store. But do this only if you aren't tempted to buy tiny, cute, fluffy, furry, wide-eyed puppies or kitties. It's still fun to look and play with them even if you can't take them home.
18. Organize a touch football game with the neighbors. Get outside and play. Just like you did when you were a kid.
19. Have a movie marathon. Rent some movies at home or pick a few at the theater, and immerse yourself in fantasy. A great choice for a rainy weekend.
20. Plan a vacation for the summer. Start thinking about an amazing dream vacation you can take this summer. Get on the internet and start your research. Here are 1001 vacation ideas.
22. Paint, draw, write, create. Go to a craft or art supply store. Find something that interests you and spend the afternoon in the flow of creative pursuit.
23. Test drive your dream car. Go to a car dealership and take a spin in that Porsche or Maserati you've been eying for years. OK, so you can't buy it, but at least you can say you've tried it.
24. Organize a potluck dinner. It doesn't have to be complicated or formal. Everyone brings something and just hangs out for the night.
25. Read and rest. Go climb in your coziest chair. Get a blanket and a cup of tea. Grab your book and spend a few hours reading. If you fall asleep, no worries. You've got all year to catch up.
What will you do to shake up your weekend? Share some fun things you have done during winter weekends to beat the doldrums and bypass your to-do list!