You may have noticed recently that women around the world have been making their voices heard.
From the five million women worldwide who participated in the Women's March to the “Day Without a Woman” strike, women have banded together to express their concerns, challenges, and dreams.
Women have struggled for hundreds of years for equality and respect, and often the beautiful qualities that women possess naturally are viewed as unworthy.
As singer Stevie Nicks points out, “When you grow up as a girl, the world tells you the things that you are supposed to be: emotional, loving, beautiful, wanted. And then when you are those things, the world tells you they are inferior: illogical, weak, vain, empty.”
Isn’t that a grand contradiction?
But in spite of that contradiction, women have been slowly but surely breaking down gender barriers around the world.
You don't have to participate in a march or a strike to express your strength and independence as a woman.
Even in the most mundane aspects of your life, you can herald your inner power and self-confidence through your words, actions, and beliefs.
Whether women are powerful politicians, influential celebrities, working professionals, or stay-at-home moms, amazing women everywhere have and continue to make their sex proud by standing up for equality, dignity, and respect in all facets of life.
Here are 50 strong women quotes to inspire you to be proud and confident as woman:
1. The most effective way to do it, is to do it. ~Amelia Earhart
2. I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning. ~Amy Poehler
3. Figure out who are you separate from your family, and the man or woman you’re in a relationship with. Find who you are in this world and what you need to feel good alone. I think that’s the most important thing in life. Find a sense of self. With that, you can do anything else. ~Angelina Jolie
4. You have trust in what you think. If you splinter yourself and try to please everyone, you can’t. ~Annie Leibovitz
5. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles. ~Audrey Hepburn
The question isn’t who’s going to let me. It’s who’s going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand
6. The question isn’t who’s going to let me. It’s who’s going to stop me. ~Ayn Rand
7. I’m over being a pop star. I don’t wanna be a hot girl. I wanna be iconic. ~Beyoncé
8. It’s not your job to like me, it’s mine. ~Byron Katie
9. Of course I am not worried about intimidating men, The type of man who will be intimidated by me is exactly the type of man I have no interest in. ~Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
10. The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud. ~Coco Chanel
Read Related: Empowering Advice For Women Involved With Men Bullies
11. A woman is the full circle. Within her is the ability to create, nurture, and transform. ~Diane Mariechild
12. If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one. ~Dolly Parton
13. The best protection any woman can have is courage. ~Elizabeth Cady Stanton
14. It’s not the absence of fear, it’s overcoming it. Sometimes you’ve got to blast through and have faith. ~Emma Watson
15. Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength. ~G.D. Anderson
16. The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn. ~Gloria Steinem
The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn. ~Gloria Steinem
17. It needs to be said and heard: It’s OK to be who you are. ~Hailee Steinfeld
18. Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you. ~Hillary Clinton
19. The challenge is not to be perfect … it’s to be whole. ~Jane Fonda
20. Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else. ~Judy Garland
21. If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. ~Katharine Hepburn
22. Find something you really care about and mix that with something you love doing… For me it was ending violence against women. ~Kathleen Hanna
Read Related: 24 Anxiety Symptoms In Women and How To Annihilate Them
23. Women asking for raises should not only know their value, but they should ask with the confidence that they’re helping the company to be successful. ~Kirsten Gillibrand
24. Well-behaved women seldom make history. ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
25. I’m a woman, of course I still have curves on me, and that’s ok. I had a baby and I’ve worked hard. And I don’t think women should have to feel that kind of pressure. I’ve done it really healthfully, and I took my time. ~Lily Aldridge
26. I hope that my presence on your screen and my face in magazines may lead you, young girls, on a beautiful journey. That you will feel the validation of your external beauty, but also get to the deeper business of being beautiful inside.” ~Lupita Nyong’o
Well-behaved women seldom make history. ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
27. It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent. ~Madeleine Albright
28. I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay. ~Madonna
29. I am done looking for love where it doesn’t exist. I am done coughing up dust in attempts to drink from dry wells. ~Maggie Young
30. We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced. ~Malala Yousafzai
31. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~Margaret Mead
Read Related: 40 Hobbies For Women To Strengthen Your Brain And Body
32. In politics, if you want anything said, ask a man. If you want anything done, ask a woman. ~Margaret Thatcher
33. A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done. ~Marge Piercy
34. A woman has got to love a bad man once or twice in her life, to be thankful for a good one. ~Marjorie Kinnan
35. Nothing can dim the light that shines from within. ~Maya Angelou
36. Do not judge a woman on her knees. You never know how tall she is when she stands. ~Mie Hansson
Be the heroine of your life, not the victim. ~Nora Ephron
37. I think the best role models for women are people who are fruitfully and confidently themselves, who bring light into the world. ~Meryl Streep
38. Be the heroine of your life, not the victim. ~Nora Ephron
39. Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another steppingstone to greatness. ~Oprah Winfrey
40. I am a strong woman with or without this other person, with or without this job, and with or without these tight pants. ~Queen Latifah
41. They’re gonna keep knocking away until all this comes crashing down. But I’m not gonna ever crash. I’m in control. ~Rihanna
42. The thing women have got to learn is that nobody gives you power. You just take it. ~Roseanne Barr
43. When it comes time to settle down, find someone who wants an equal partner. Someone who thinks women should be smart, opinionated and ambitious. Someone who values fairness and expects or, even better, wants to do his share in the home. These men exist and, trust me, over time, nothing is sexier. ~Sheryl Sandberg
The thing women have got to learn is that nobody gives you power. You just take it. ~Roseanne Barr
44. A surplus of effort could overcome a deficit of confidence. ~Sonia Sotomayor
45. I think the girl who is able to earn her own living and pay her own way should be as happy as anybody on Earth. The sense of independence and security is very sweet. ~Susan B. Anthony
Read Related: 575+ Bucket List Ideas To Live A No Regrets Life
46. Giving up doesn’t always mean you’re weak. Sometimes you’re just strong enough to let go. ~Taylor Swift
47. I would rather be handsome for an hour than pretty for a week. ~Tilda Swinton
48. If it is true that men are better than women because they are stronger, why aren’t our sumo wrestlers in the government? ~Toshiko Kishida
49. A feminist is a person who believes in the power of women just as much as they believe in the power of anyone else. It’s equality, it’s fairness, and I think it’s a great thing to be a part of.”~Zendaya
50. Here’s to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.”~Unknown
What other strong women quotes would you add to this list? Sound them off in the comments below, or reach out to us via social media!